It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White Roads Reduce Global Warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The other night I saw a short stretch of road which was white and it was well illuminated from standard night lamps almost as if it was daylight due to reflection from the white surface.

Thus it occurs to me that making new roads white instead of asphalt black could save a huge amount in night illumination and thus reduce energy consumption and the dubious global warming we are being brain washed daily with.

Old roads could easily be painted or chalked over to make them white.

I note also that the underside passages of railway bridges are are also painted black by ignorant,railway idiots and illumination is thus very poor despite lights being on all the time.
Merely by painting it white would reduce this gloominess and save consumption.

Another physicist to whom I spoke also claimed that the increasing numbers of black population people could also contribute to global warming as black skin absorbes radiation more quickly and hence contribute to global warming.as more energy is more quickly absorbed then a white reflective surface.In other words the albedo of the planet is decreasing.

Before people start getting on their high horses and start calling me racist,this is merely physics,look it up..It is well known as black body radiation.

In essence the increasing amount of black roads being constructed and also an increasing black population would increase the amount of black body radiation being absorbed.

No doubt this could be easily be proved simply by holding up a piece of black card board and white cardboard to the sun.You will be shocked how quickly the black card board warms up.

Also you could touch a black car and a white car and you will see a huge temperature difference of at least 20 degrees.

Hence the solution to reduce energy consumption and global warming is to make roads white and make blacks wear white clothes.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by esecallum]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I lol'd at your ignorance.

'Hence the solution to reduce energy consumption and global warming is to make roads white and make blacks wear white clothes'

Yeah, you said you weren't racist, and those comments aren't really racist because its probably true about the radiation but.... dude... are you actually having a laugh?

facepalm.jpg

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Very funny!!!

What happens when they get dirty???

White tyres?? White bird crap?? White rain??

Paint your driveway white and see how long it lasts!!!

As for your racist comments....all it shows is how small your brain is and maybe its time for mommy to read you your bedtime story?? nite nite

Happy white dreams!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by esecallum

I was prepared to star your post until the very last line with the racial remark.

BAD!! No star 4 U.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

I was prepared to star your post until the very last line with the racial remark.

BAD!! No star 4 U.

Cheers!!!!

That is incorrect.

I can assure i am not racist.

it is pure physics.look up black body radiation.

you may have noticed arabs wearing white cloths/robes/headgear to keep cool.

In any case the power bill and consumption can be reduced by at up to 50% if roads were white as reflected light will reduce the need for higher powers and also the spacing could be increased between lamps.

No need to paint roads at all.

All you have to to is make the sale of black tyres illegal and mandate all tyres produced must be white.

Hence the continual wear and tear of white tyres will gradually make the roads white.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Another physicist to whom I spoke also claimed that the increasing numbers of black population people could also contribute to global warming as black skin absorbes radiation more quickly and hence contribute to global warming.as more energy is more quickly absorbed then a white reflective surface.In other words the albedo of the planet is decreasing.

This, my 'friend', is beyond the realms of ridiculous. I would like to know who this person is who suggested this.

I am now going to chop down all the trees in my garden, after all those dark brown tree trunks can't be doing much for global warming!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Are you sure the road you saw wasn't just fresh new concrete? It looks very light in bright sunlight, until oil dripping from cars stain it.

White roads would blind people, ever heard of snow blindness?

Asphalt is very black when freshly laid and fades over time. anyways. It's cheaper to apply than concrete.

Your idea sounds silly to me. Should all the mountains of dark trees be painted?

Do you realize what it would take to paint roads? They'd have to invent big paint laying machines, then close the roads for them to dry. The paint would be drying and jamming up in the machinery faster than it was being applied. Nevermind the added cost that you as taxpayers would pay for.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
None of you have ever been on a Concrete road?

few problems with your post

1. If you used Concrete, roads wouldn't be built as concrete is to expensive.

2. Black top and swell and contract easier without causing as much cracking.
Concrete cracks far more often, and more easily.

3. If you painted the black top white it would come off with wear and tear.

4. Why stop with roads? What about all those dark red brick buildings, shingles on roofs?

And.. if blacks have to wear white, shouldn't whites as well?

I mean, if whites can walk around in black if they so choose, doesn't it counter effect all the black wearing white?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
White tires? What about the oil dripping, as I said. Better not drive over dirt with them then, because they'd soon be dirty.

"No need to paint roads at all"
Huh????
Where are they going to get white asphalt, it's made from oil. It's comes in black. It's called blacktop

[edit on 22-1-2009 by violet]

[edit on 22-1-2009 by violet]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
A better question is does a road being white actually help reduce global warming? It would help keep the roadcooler but then again those rays willcontinue to bounce around the atmosphere. Is it better that something absorbs them and keeps them out of the atmposphere?

I also question the belief that a black man will get hotter out in the sun than a white man.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
esecallum, or "Dr. Ese Callum", should I call you, you have black people on fire under the Sun running around on white roads in your brain.

You need serious mental help. Come back when you are all better.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well, i see your way of thinking, but it has 2 major flaws

1. Cloud cover

2. Traffic

Anyway, aircraft contrails combined with cirroform clouds, which are mainly comprised of ice, do a good enough job of reflecting long wave radiation away from the earth

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

Asphalt is porous.

just like chewing cum the white tyre particles will be embedded in it.

also remember it will constantly renewed by white tyres passing over.

I suggest you contact your government official so that he can get it started.

Already incandescent bulbs are being outlawed, let us outlaw black tyres now.

you only need to add a dye to make black tyres look white.

I believe i have seen white tyres somewhere already...possibly antique cars.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:48 AM
link   
What is funny is that the global warning occurs for a totally different reason...

What a load of nonsense really!

The only thing that makes a bit of sense is about having white roads... While it may not be practical (gets dirty quick, etc.), it is not idiot to imagine replacing (or starting to use) more reflective materials for the sides of the roads...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Don't drive much, do you?

2nd line

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This theory hasn't been thought through!

Black road absorbs heat and is hotter than a white road...fine.

But....

A white road reflects more heat and is cooler.....

Where does the heat get reflected to......Doh!

Same heat just a slightly different location WITHIN the atmosphere.

Any light that reflects heat from any colour road stays below the ozone layer doesn't it?

Same globel warming....Oh!, hang on...MORE global warming because giving up traditional methods of making and laying a road would have to be replaced with a more modern approach which costs more resources and produces more global warming.

Anyway, the white lines wouldn't show up.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

but white roads need less light at night...

i urge you to put black curtains in your bedroom on all 4 walls.

you will see how dark it becomes even with 400 watt lamps.

then replace the blacks by white curtains and you will need less light,just using a 20 watt lamp.

i urge you do the experiment tonight instead of going out.

you could get your woman to sew the curtains.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   

....Not to mention all the new car accidents from the Glare off these nice white roads.

And not everybody suffers by living next to a road.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by esecallum
reply to post by Rockpuck

Asphalt is porous.

just like chewing cum the white tyre particles will be embedded in it.

also remember it will constantly renewed by white tyres passing over.

I suggest you contact your government official so that he can get it started.

Already incandescent bulbs are being outlawed, let us outlaw black tyres now.

you only need to add a dye to make black tyres look white.

I believe i have seen white tyres somewhere already...possibly antique cars.

I think you meant to say gum...

So what is it you suggest is used for the road surfacing?
Concrete is out.
Surely not some form of white asphalt that you think can be made? Do you think you can tell the paving industry to make a new formula? Cancel all contracts wth the oil companies who supply the oil for the mix, and also throw away billions of dollars worth of machinery, dump trucks, paving machines, rollers, and hand tools that's stained with the black asphalt?

Or your silly paint idea? You think little bits of white tires will embed into the white road, maintaining it's whiteness? Maybe everyone should just drip bleach as they drive along, as a communty effort to keep it white.

The white tires you once saw are on your bicycle.

The white road would cause blindness in bright sunlight or headlights. Cars would be crashing. It's a safety issue.

Snow falling and being cleared would be difficult to keep an eye on what roads have been cleared, again safety issue.

The snow ploughs would sheer off the white paint, the salt would also eat through the paint.

I suppose you think all cars should be painted white? Why not make it all blend in, and you can do away with fuel consuming traffic copters, because they wouldn't be able to see a dam thing on the roads below.

You seriously are proposing trillions of $$$ to change a wide range of industries, just to save what was it again? Light bulbs?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   

We all did this black versus white test in school.

Get your woman to sew them?????

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join