It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says no lobbyists - then appoints one!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by maybereal11

All appearances aside, then, this nomination doesn't make President Obama a liar, it just makes him a little vulnerable to those with an agenda trying to smear him? Is that what you're saying? I don't want to put words in your mouth or anything, but it looks like the spin is unspun.

Thanks for the expert clarification.

Would you like your lies with an olive, or with a twist?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by maybereal11
Jsobecky...A justified OP...though I question your motives knowing your love of a good Obama bashing thread

I agree.

Thanks for all the facts, maybereal11.

There is a built-in waiver provision in the new lobby rules. People will have their judgments about this, but it makes sense to me. Just because not everyone knew about it doesn't make Obama a liar, though.

Fact Check: Exception Made to Anti-Lobbyist Rule

"Our waiver provisions are designed to allow uniquely qualified individuals like Bill Corr and Bill Lynn to serve the public interest in these critical times," Gibbs said. Asked by reporters Thursday about the waivers, Gibbs said only "a very limited number" will be issued.

Obama did not make this clear when he announced the new rules. He could have simply added "With very few exceptions provided by a waiver provision, ..." and I think that was a mistake.

The Hill

For now, the new restrictions are having the biggest impact on the administration itself.

The Senate Armed Services Committee put on hold a confirmation hearing for William Lynn, tapped for the number-two slot at the Defense Department, because of his work as a lobbyist for Raytheon, a top defense contractor. The committee was waiting for a waiver from the administration to the new lobbying rules. That waiver was expected to be released.

“Even the toughest rules require reasonable exceptions,” White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said, according to The Associated Press.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
reply to post by maybereal11

All appearances aside, then, this nomination doesn't make President Obama a liar, it just makes him a little vulnerable to those with an agenda trying to smear him? Is that what you're saying? I don't want to put words in your mouth or anything, but it looks like the spin is unspun.

Thanks for the expert clarification.

Would you like your lies with an olive, or with a twist?

Yes...this nominee is in keeping with specifics of the executive order he authored to reduce lobbyists influence in Washington. The order allows for an exception to be made with regards to appointees to defense/security related roles..

..the motivation for the exception (loop hole) is likely either (1) Security is too critical an issue to exclude the best qualified from consideration or possibly (2) Everyone qualified in the defense industry is a lobbyist.

No President Obama has not lied with regards to this.
Yes there is a great amount of the typical spin with regards to this.
Yes there are Obama bashers here who haven't examined the issue and don't really care..just another chance to spout vitriol.

All of that aside. I am and have been a strong Obama supporter.

I have issue with this appointment since it seems in stark contrast to the "spirit" of the executive order even if the order provides for an exception.

Again...I am a strong supporter of the President, but I would like an explanation on this nominee.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I think he's made a lot of good decisions on appointments and policy so far, which granted hasn't been very long. I hope this isn't one he turns out to regret on appearances alone. Time will tell if his 70% approval rating going in is justified or not. I'm willing to give him some time. The people, for the most part, are behind him. George Bush needed 9/11 to get the country behind him. Up until then he was mostly known for just being on vacation.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jsobecky

Oh boy. I'm done.

How can we perpetuate 'the conspiracy' if we acknowldege each other?

Thanks, friend.

Something strange seems to have happened here, where views outside the MSM are considered 'subversive' or 'right-wing irrational.'

Isn't ATS supposed to be the outlet for voices outside the MSM?

Don't let yourself get trampled on.

Remember, there are no 'lobbyists' in the new administration. BHO and his admin. are only looking out for your best interests.

Questions must be avoided. Doubt will be punished.

Aren't you listening? We are on the cusp of "Change" and "Hope."

Sleep tight. All is well.

"Obama says no lobbyists." What more do you want?

Pray for us all.

jw

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

What was I thinking? How dare I question THE ONE?

Seriously, he is a LIAR, and his apologist lemmings are fools.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Here is a nice little update to this story....

www.foxnews.com...

"When a reporter tried to quiz Obama on Thursday about a lobbyist chosen for a top Defense Department job, the president quickly became agitated. "

Good stuff!!

[edit on 23-1-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Judicial Watch

Obama didn't make Judical Watch's list of 10 most corrupt politicians in 2007 for nothing!

1. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-NY):
2. Rep. John Conyers (D-MI):
3. Senator Larry Craig (R-ID):
4. Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA):
5. Former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani (R-NY):
6. Governor Mike Huckabee (R-AR):
7. I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby: Libby,
8. Senator Barack Obama (D-IL):
9. Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA):
10. Senator Harry Reid (D-NV):

Obama - 'lobbiests wont' find a job in my White House'

Typical political LIAR. NO CHANGE.

immediate edit

[edit on 1/23/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Chiiru

I think this is more about whether the man keeps his word... or does the right thing..... not who he makes happy... or if he tries.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:58 AM
link   
To the wood chipper with that reporter.... Obama grabbed him by the arm, starred him in the eye and and told him to STFU up or else.

So this is who we have as POTUS... Better than Bush? I don't remember Bush threatening pool reporters with death. Isn't this how Saddam started out? Threaten and then Kill those that oppose you?

Oh man this guy has a lot to learn... He keeps this up and he may find himself in jail like our Mayor here in Detroit. These people always resort to violence and always, always think they are above the law.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Icarus Rising
I provided my link and it backs up my assertion. I'm calling it as I see it with regard to member jsobecky. Stating the obvious.

Icky your busted!
Your link and story are from the 12th of November.

You and your kool-aid gang are just plain wrong on this one.

I have to admit that when Obama talks about our founding fathers and such, I get just a little hope that he will push us back to the constitutional ways that are suppose to be. But, unless by March, he comes out to announce he is busting the whole system including the Fed banking bs, he is at the end of the day, just more of the same problem.

If you are going to get on here and spout your bs, at least give us something current to reference to.

You have been weighed, and you have been measured, and you have been found Wanting.......................

[edit on 23-1-2009 by j2000]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Who's watching "Judicial Watch"

Mike Huckabee? Please.

jw

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick

Originally posted by jsobecky
Obama is a liar...

All politicians are liars. It might as well be one of the prerequisites of BEING a politician. You think McCain wasn't a liar? That Ron Paul wasn't a liar? Was George Bush a liar? Clinton?

Politicians lie, just like lawyers.

Most of politicians are LAWYERS!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President-elect Barack Obama, who campaigned on lessening lobbyist influence in government, has chosen a defense expert who is currently a vice president and lobbyist ...

Lynn is currently a senior vice president at Raytheon, ...

www.cnn.com...

Bold Emphasis mine...

Since when did someone having a vested interest in a company MAKE them a lobbyist? Is CNN saying this guy is PAID to lobby? Or he happens to Lobby for a company that he is a executive within (which is not abnormal; unless you want your company to fail)?

I don't see where he is a paid lobbyist, and those are the guys causing problems.

Also, Wouldn't someone heavily involved in the Defense Industry be the BEST person to name to a position that should have knowledge of the newest and best Defensive capabilities...

Ah well... Four days in and you either think he's Jesus, or he's Satan...

Why can't we hold off our judgment until he's had time to act???

I'll wait another year to see if my Vote killed, or Carried this country, If you guys wanna jump on a bandwagon now that's your prerogative.

I for one will wait until I have some data to crunch and make my decision then.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by coven

I don't need to wait and see what happens. If Obama stays true to his platform he had during the election I know we are screwed lol. But I don't want to derail the thread. Great stuff everyone!

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Wethesheeple]

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Wethesheeple]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by j2000

Icky your busted!
Your link and story are from the 12th of November.

What's wrong with the dated link and how exactly am I busted? I never said the article was from the Obama clip I'd seen on the news the day before. It certainly backs up what I saw him say and its nice to see he's still saying the same thing as in November. It was hard to get his predecessor to say the same thing twice, much less stick to it for over two months.

You're busted, not me.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
You are exactly right, about only one part of it. But he will not be allowed to work on any Raytheon projects.

But it seems this man comes with high referrals from BOTH parties. They feel he was the best person from the job. He has worked for the DOD before.

This is a position for the DOD. Now, would you rather have Obama put someone far less qualified just to keep to a statement he made or would you rather he put someone far more qualified, who BOTH parties trust and refer and feel is the best person for the job?Someone who is already working on many of military intelligence jobs?

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I woke up this morning and found this video from CNN on this. Could the honeymoon between Mr. Obama and the media be coming to an end?

www.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I find it kind of funny that a lot of people state Obama is a liar because of this. I have a small bit of news for those folks. We are all liars. I would be very interested in meeting the person who has NEVER lied.

If you steal something, what are you? A thief. This includes something as insignificant as taking a piece of cake as a child without permission, you are a thief. If you have ever told an untruth in ANY fashion, you are a liar.

I do not know of anyone throughout history other than Jesus Christ that has never told a lie.

It's kind of hypocritical to accuse someone of that which you yourself are.

If you want to slander the man, do it for something valid, not something every person on the planet does. Slander him for being a product of a corrupt system. Slander him for being an elitist with an agenda. Slander him for not sticking with a position of his own choosing. Slander him for his views and positions or lack thereof. But don't slander him for being just like you, that just looks bad.

His choice is reasonable (this is said in sarcasm), after all, when we get involved in the next war, he will need someone on the inside so he knows what materials we will need to buy from Lynn's old boss, only makes sense if you have any sort of war planned for the future doesn't it?

I am not trying to protect the man as I do not like him either, but I will not slander him by accusing him of doing something that I have done as well as every person who is on this planet. That is just hypocritical.

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic
Here is a nice little update to this story....

www.foxnews.com...

"When a reporter tried to quiz Obama on Thursday about a lobbyist chosen for a top Defense Department job, the president quickly became agitated. "

Good stuff!!

[edit on 23-1-2009 by TwiTcHomatic]

I tried to warn people, here at the state Capitol Obama got into such a heated conversation with a a person who opposed his views, that he had to be physically restrained,

And remember when he cornered Lieberman?]

[edit on 113131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join