It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: U.S. Intercepts Iranian Arms-Smuggling Ship

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Officials: U.S. Intercepts Iranian Arms-Smuggling Ship

www.foxnews.com

WASHINGTON — U.S. defense officials say the military intercepted and searched an Iranian-owned ship that officials feared was carrying arms to Hamas. It's unclear whether those suspicions were founded.

The search turned up ammunition that included artillery shells
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The story is still breaking.

They have yet to determine where the final destination of this shipment was intended to go.

According to the story, Hamas does not use artillery.

Could this be a sign of new weapons for Hamas to use?

They do like to rearm during periods of cease fire so anything is possible.

Perhaps this was just another shipment of tractor parts?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
New Info. Gotta love the UN red tape. Why does the UN even exist?

The task force was unable to confiscate the arms, despite the violation of a U.N. Security Council resolution that prohibits Iran from selling arms, because there is no enforcement mechanism in place.

The officials said the shipment is believed to be on its way to Syria and there is little the international community can do to stop it.

This is unbelievable.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Are they absolutely sure that was intended to be for Hamas? Do they have definative proof that it was for Hamas?

Those weapons could have been intended to be delivered to Lebannon.

How about we not be programmed by the Mass Sheeple Manipulator and wait for all of the evidence to come in before jumping off the cliff of Lemming.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
From source

They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the record.

MM is really good at using this quote. A really good rule of thumb when deciding if it is propaganda is if this quote or something similar is included in the story, you can almost guarantee it is propaganda.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Are they absolutely sure that was intended to be for Hamas? Do they have definative proof that it was for Hamas?

How about we not be programmed by the Mass Sheeple Manipulator and wait for all of the evidence to come in before jumping off the cliff of Lemming.

Cheers!!!!

Please feel free to add as the info. flows. Right now they believe the shipment was headed for Syria.

The final destination is irrelevant considering the UN restriction on Iran selling weapons to any nation. Iran is thumbing its nose at the resolution and no one can stop them because of a UN boondoggle.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
those iranians never stop stocking the fires......the palsitinians struggle cannot be won with war only with logical,truth and diplomacy.
its the iranian regime......and the theocratic powerbase whom are the problem,they are warlike and confrontational,they thrive on creating conflict to justify thier position.

so the same logic should be applied with iran,how do we deal with them.....we talk to the iranian people , we befriend them, teach them and they will teach us , attacking iran would be catastrophic,the people must be nurtured to SORT OUT THIER OWN GOVERNMENT,we cant do it its down to them.
we must just sow the seeds in them.

but all in all isreals agressivness is a major bone of contention ,they need taming as they are the main recruting seargent for agressive belief systems.....all ahmijinidad has to do is say the word "isreal" or "bush" and the masses follow.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Cheers!!!!

As the article states.. they were not sure if it was going to Hamas.

Don't think anybody here is jumping off any cliff.. just going on what has been reported in the media at the moment.

But, if it was going to hamas.. you jumped early as well and were wrong.

Personally I hope they all blow themselves up.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Cheers!!!!

theres no apologising for the iranian regimes actions,they are a nasty peice of work....they do alot of bad to the world smuggling arms to hamas is an everyday thing for them...and to be honest similair actions are done by many nations of the world,find me more than 10 who dont profiteer from war at the expense of civilians lives.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

The United states along with Russia Supply more countries and entities then Iran does in a Year in a couple days.

can someone point me to where it says Iran cant sell Arms to other countries which want to purchase them?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

But, if it was going to hamas.. you jumped early as well and were wrong.

I dont see where you conclude that...given the article states they are not sure if it was intended for Hamas, and I said it could have been intended for someone else, and another stated it could be for another.

That doesnt imply we are jumping off any cliff. It means we are in holding pattern and waiting to see what the definative proof is before jumping off any cliff.

Dispite the fact that it is Iran shipping weapons, and dispite the fact they are doing it against a UN decleration, the article is misleading right off the bat by simply putting in the word "Hamas", which given current situations there in the middle east, the first thing to come to mind in the mass sheeple would be that the weapons are for Hamas.

That was my point in saying lets not jump off that cliff yet just becasue they "think" its for Hamas.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Gotta love how the report is worded. Arms smuggling? If they are selling arms to an ally then it's nobodies business but theirs. After all, we sell arms all over the world, often to regimes with very questionable human rights records.

I haven't heard of a UN Security Council resolution prohibiting Iran from selling arms to anyone. Does such a resolution exist?
Even if it does, if the UN can't enforce all the outstanding resolutions against Israel then it'd be a little transparently hypocritical of them to chase others over compliance.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson

theres no apologising for the iranian regimes actions,they are a nasty peice of work....they do alot of bad to the world smuggling arms to hamas is an everyday thing for them...and to be honest similair actions are done by many nations of the world,find me more than 10 who dont profiteer from war at the expense of civilians lives.

Iran isnt the angel nation of the world for sure. But just how much weapons does Iran in fact smuggle to Hamas?

Hamas can get their rockets from anyone willing to supply it. I dont think that Iran is the lone suspect here, tho they are contributing to Hamas.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
reply to post by welivefortheson

The United states along with Russia Supply more countries and entities then Iran does in a Year in a couple days.

can someone point me to where it says Iran cant sell Arms to other countries which want to purchase them?

UN Security Council Resolution 1747 UN Security Council Resolution 1747 (adopted March 24, 2007) maintains existing sanctions and:

* bans Iran from selling or transferring any arms;

www.wmdinsights.com...

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Cheers!!!!

The story has been corroborated by numerous sources, and FOX was using the Associate Press. Of course you're free to believe that Iran and Hamas are being unfairly ciriticized.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Hey all you guys sound like you work for Israels blogger PR campaign network...You guys are on ATS eh?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Since when was the US the world police? Oh yeah since the UN was made, dang. I'm pretty sure the US has more weapons in the middle east than the middle eastern countries themselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

The story has been corroborated by numerous sources, and FOX was using the Associate Press. Of course you're free to believe that Iran and Hamas are being unfairly ciriticized.

I just love that phrase "numerous sources", which by itself could mean absolutely nothing. Even Bush N Co. declared Iraq's WMD was confirmed by numerous sources....and we all know how that panned out dont we.

And thanks for acknowledging that I am free to believe that Iran and Hamas are being unfairly criticized!
I love the freedom of speech and freedom of thought.

As I said...in case some may have jumped right over it...Iran has been known to smuggle weapons to Hamas. What is not known is how much, and how often, nor is it known yet if this boatload of goodies was intended for Hamas.

Iran sends weapons to anyone who will buy them. As does many other nations, including the US.

We can be precise with this, or just generalize and be completely off kilt.

Isnt the freedom of assumption wonderful?!!!

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
10 to 1 odds that you won't hear a peep about it on PressTV.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Pot meet Kettle

Iran meet the U.S.

Seriously; were (U.S.) one of the largest arms dealers in the world, next to Russia and then probably all the Illegal Arms traders. If Iran want's to sell munitions to Syria, that's their right as a nation and the U.N. really needs to GTFO. All I hear come out of that place is nothing but worthless rhetoric that gets ignored in the end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join