It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robert Reich - Racist Redistribution of Wealth

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
reply to post by marg6043

They work for less, and it is taking jobs from our local guys.

Edited to say, like I said it is hard work for what you get paid.

Exactly!!!!!!!!.

I know what is going on, I have been telling people how the new economic stimulus is going to be squandered on the wrong people.

Because when it comes to infrastructure in the US is mostly done by illegals.

I already explain why, due to the states giving the contracts to private contractors that in order to put more money in their pockets they hired illegals pay them under the table and only pay legal wages to those few that are American citizens.

What a mess.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
reply to post by LLoyd45

Ah Lloyd, don't you know - there is no such thing as reverse discrimination. Not officially at least.

Unless you are a minority, you can't possibly be discriminated against *cough*

Once upon a time there was a concept of the best qualified got the job. That no longer exists.

And under qualified, minority owned/employed businesses will now be building the bridges we transport our children over.
Yeah, reverse discrimination is just a myth propagated by the White man to steal good-paying jobs from more qualified minority workers.

Seriously though, Affirmative Action is a good idea in theory, but in practice it's a complete failure. All it really does is promote poor workmanship, lower standards, and further inequalities in hiring practices. Employers are more interested in meeting racial quotas today, than in hiring qualified employees.

Institutions of higher learning are some of the worst offenders. The admission standards have been lowered to such a degree, that you now have people in college that must take remedial classes prior to ever beginning a course of study. Imagine being in a college course, yet you only have a 5th grade reading and comprehension level..

I've even read that some former students have sued schools for not providing them with a quality educations as a result of these practices. It's a double-edged sword at best.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You have totally, not surprisingly, misinterpreted what he said and inferred something that he did not say at all. - backatchya. :shk:

Like I said folks - If he had just stayed with the 'let's try to hire the long term unemployed and let's try to provide some skills for the unskilled' .. then I would have given him a thumbs up and wouldn't be saying this is racist. But he starts out with whining about white males in construction. Like white males can't be suffering from unemployment? Like white males can't be suffering from being unskilled? He specifically SEGREGATES OUT white males. Obama's economic advisor is screwy. :shk:

immediate edit

[edit on 1/22/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Hi Marg like I said on the other thread, my husband is the minority in our neighborhood.

We are just the working class poor, and I have a 25 year old son who can't even find a job.

I grew up in an ethnically mixed neighborhood and home, a lot of hard working European immigrants,

Everything is gone, no factories, nada, everything is in decay.

I am self employed, so that solves the problem for me, I make my own way.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Hon, the working class poor is a growing class that is affecting everybody as the highest pay jobs are lost, very soon you will not be able to distinguish who is who in this nation but the very wealthy and rich.

It is a big shifting of power in American and two classes will emerge you can see the change taking play as we speak.

Today in the housing figures, 15 million homes empty in America while families are bankrupt and homeless..

What good does 15 million empty homes can do.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I am scared, and all I can do is sit back and watch, but then I am a survivor, life has always been a struggle,but now that I am older, it is getting hard to take.

But god provides

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Hey marg, I don't know how much further this neighborhood can go down hill, it's bad.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Well, my husband has been in construction for 25 years, there are not a lot of blacks in our area that seem interested in this line of work, I have actually asked him about this, he has worked with maybe two I know of and they were laborers not carpenters, I don't know what that is all about, he says they always quit, I actually think you have to have a love for this kind of job,

It is so physical, and the work conditions sometimes horrible, the heat and the cold, sometimes he comes home so filthy, especially when doing burn jobs.

MY husband loves building, but I think he is nuts,

[edit on 093131p://bThursday2009 by Stormdancer777]

I think that it is easy to paint an elephant green when you want to try to hide it in the forest. I think if you look at the real reason why these men quit you might find that that green elephant come closer to a shade of gray.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am sorry, I don't understand.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Exactly, my husband and I are middle age now, is hard to see our life and our dreams about to be swallowed by the declining economy, is hard for our generation that has work so hard for most of our life to see everything disintegrated before our eyes.

The younger generation will just get used to it, but us we will never will.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
Reich's comment about construction jobs being dominated by white males can easily be picked apart depending on what region of the country you live in.

I worked for a Nationwide homebuilder for several years and I can certainly tell you that Hispanics dominated the trades in Charlotte and points south. It is the same story out West.

Up in Ohio, Hispanics still hold many jobs in construction from framing to drywall and masonry.

IMO Reich is full of bunk.

I will ditto you. One of my brother's runs a construction company in Texas and has a lot of government contracts. He said the majority of his employees are Mexicans (legal - they check
) He has also said this is the norm...the "minorities" are the majority within the construction world. So, I think Reich is full of bunk too.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   

He doesn't complain that some of the money might go to white males. He states the IF the jobs go MAINLY to white males, people who need jobs the most will be left out.

are you saying that white men cant be unemployed? that only people of other color are the ones that are out of jobs? it shouldnt matter what the persons racial background is it should be best man (or woman) for the job period! not just some quota to fill. would you want the Doctor that was only given the job to fill a quota to operate on you or would you want the most qualified. isnt it time we left race out of the picture and focused on the person.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Exactly, my husband and I are middle age now, is hard to see our life and our dreams about to be swallowed by the declining economy, is hard for our generation that has work so hard for most of our life to see everything disintegrated before our eyes.

The younger generation will just get used to it, but us we will never will.

Aint that the truth,

I never owned my own home, yet my husband builds them, go figure, he would drive me by these homes that he worked on, upwards of 400,000 in cost,

I said to him many times in recent years, something is wrong, surely people cannot afford this,

I was right.

I told him something has got to give sooner or later.

Anyway construction has lay offs, which causes hardships, I spent my life with the lay offs.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

They are so outta touch with reality, and the common man.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
If reverse discrimination becomes the modus operandi in the new administration, it will anger many white males and perhaps create a civil war as the International bankster elite have planned all along. Divide and Conquer alive and well. Whites far outnumber blacks or other minorities and are very well armed. Caution!

I have faith Obama is above this kind of discrimination though the jury is out. I am more concerned about who is attempting to 'INFLUENCE' Obama. Will have to wait and see. He should be well aware that this kind of policy will ultimately SET BACK gains in civil rights.

Personally, I see more latinos than blacks or whites in the construction industry. As long they are legal and do a good job, so be it. Dark complected peoples tend to tolerate working long hours in the sun anyhow. Their skin pigmentation tolerates the sunlight more than whites though the opposite is true in cold weather. Whites tend to tolerate the cold much better than people of color. Regardless of the science behind skin color, if a man, regardless of color, decides he is fit and willing to perform the tasks at hand inherent in the job and are qualified to do so, he should be given the chance to prove himself on the job.

In my experience, ones 'Attitude' is very much a determining factor as to whether or not they get the job let alone keep it. Some blacks in America need to 'check' their attitude and stop assuming everyone is out to get them. Just perform the job as you're hired to.

I've managed many peoples in the past and more than often the whites and latinos would complain that a black worker was not doing their part of the job when a collective effort was required to complete the task. After investigating the matter, I found they were usually right. ATTITUDE. No one owes another 'anything' and no one gets 'special' treatment either. When one has a job to do, just do it and don't complain.

When one isolates themselves from the others, they truely ISOLATE themselves and become their own worst enemy.

Anyone who thinks a policy of reverse discrimination will work is a Fool. It won't work.

Race should be taken off the employment applications since it has nothing to do with Performance or qualification. Ones skills, experience, education is of importance as well as their performance while on the job.

If this offends anyone here, perhaps you need to 'CHECK' your attitude.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I'm a white male construction contractor. My company and my hard work employs 24 men. I don't hire ILLEGAL workers. All my employees have their payroll checks with state and federal taxes deducted rom their earnings. Some of my employees are of European ancestory others are Korean and Mexican and Spanish and French and Icelandic and Peruvian.
I think the only solution to all the economic problems that plague this country is to wipe all the (white) males off the face of the earth. Get rid of the "white devils" and hurry. Any white male who is proud of his ancestry is a racist and rich. None of us have ever worked hard. All of us have guilt about things our forefathers did more than a century ago. And it seems that the whole world would be glad to be rid of us. Good Luck!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Set asides for women and minority owned business have been around since the late 1970s.

When a project goes out to bid that has government funding it will be part of the boilerplate. All large construction projects already deal with this.

You can hire minorities. You can help minorities set up business and them make them subcontractors. You can have an outreach program to train this underused talent.

This is business as usual.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Starred and flagged, FF.

Here's the video:

Horrible. Obama is intent on re-creating the race war in America.

I have sent this video off to many people. Michelle Malkin has featured Reich in today's column.

What will the results be if you do not hire the best people for the job? Unsafe roads and bridges? Deadly accidents waiting to happen?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

What is wrong with you? Do you not care if the roads and bridges we travel on are built by the most qualified, experienced people, as long as a black man gets a job?

I realize you are infatuated with Obama, but this is our safety we are talking about!@

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
You people should really do some basic homework before accepting a questionable YouTube clip that has spliced material together to produce a blatent and inaccurate anti-Obama video.

Five minutes on C-span's site and I found the full video (www.c-span.org...).

Not exactly exciting stuff. However, if you sit through it you'll see that when it is shown in its entirety and in the proper context (including the video portions you were NOT shown on YouTube) the story changes dramatically. Hardly something to get worked up over.

Who ever made the YouTube clip is trying to create a conspiracy where there isn't one.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join