It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama freezing pay of top staff; signs ethics rules

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
So donations paid for the porta pottie, National Guard and DC police? BS

If BHO was sincere in belt tightening in the " Greatest economic crisis" since the 30's, he would of had all "donations" sent to the poor and scaled back the big suck fest of yesterday.......

[edit on 21-1-2009 by Pinktip]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Does the donated money include security and transportation costs?

Add to that the massive costs of security and transportation — costs absorbed by U.S. taxpayers — and the historic inauguration will produce an equally historic bill.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

2 million people was at the inauguration. Did you want them to tighten the purse on security and transport? I didn't vote Obama, but come on. Give the guy a little credit. This was a good thing he signed on. Don't be like the Bush bashers and bash him just for the sake of it.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   

The actual swearing-in ceremony will cost $1.24 million, according to Carole Florman, spokeswoman for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies.

abcnews.go.com...

here's a list of inauguration donors:
www.pic2009.org...

and lastly, who, exactly pays for the inauguration?
donors.
wiki.answers.com...

but you can complain about footing the $170 million all you want.

I take it y'all donated.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
jd140, Nobody bashing Obama in my post. Just asking a question to something a mod had posted. I forgot to reply to his post.

Personally, it was Obama's day and he deserved to enjoy just as much as previous Presidents.

Appreciate your response.

BTW, how did we get from the freeze to inauguration cost anyway?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by jam321]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
jd140, Nobody bashing Obama in my post. Just asking a question to something a mod had posted. I forgot to reply to his post.

Personally, it was Obama's day and he deserved to enjoy just as much as previous Presidents.

Appreciate your response.

BTW, how did we get from the freeze to inauguration cost anyway?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by jam321]

I guess I took that post of context. My bad.

As for the freeze to inauguration cost.......................political posts usually go from one thing to another then back to the one thing before going to something else.

Then people forget about the thread all together

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Whoa................... i find myself in the "Spin" Cycle of a gigantic
dryer.

as far as the Freeze, It will last for the 1st year...
as the department Heads start realizing less take-home
than their Deputies... things will be Re-Thought in 2010 !

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

nah, the freeze might last longer. the politicians will simply draw larger salaries from their foundations.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Gotta love it. He takes a step that almost ANYONE should be excited about, and what do we still get, "OMG why is he doing this? It must be for show!". "He's not Ron Paul." "Well let's examine his hit piece about him in the past so I can ignore that he is doing something I agree with."

Glad to see more proof that even when he does the right thing, in some people's eyes, he can't win.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irish M1ck
Gotta love it. He takes a step that almost ANYONE should be excited about, and what do we still get, "OMG why is he doing this? It must be for show!". "He's not Ron Paul." "Well let's examine his hit piece about him in the past so I can ignore that he is doing something I agree with."

Glad to see more proof that even when he does the right thing, in some people's eyes, he can't win.

You took the words right out of my mouth, when he actually is making a change people will try to find something to complain about.

I applaud what he is doing!

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Irish,

Is there a different in your opinion between criticizing and being skeptical?

I believe people have a right to be skeptical of what politicians, President or not, propose.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
It doesn't specify if he is freezing his own salary.

Don't you think that should be included?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Hey it's a good step. You can't fault him on this one...but it's not like any of these people are really hurting for money anyway.

They should be working for next to nothing.

I hope he does a good job...i just don't agree with most of his policies. I do like this one though.

Edit to add:

If i were elected president this would have been one of the first things that i would have done. It it were me would I be getting this criticism?

Cuz i'm telling you now I would strictly enforce it. Who's to say he's not doing the same?

[edit on 21-1-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
It doesn't specify if he is freezing his own salary.

Don't you think that should be included?

That's a given. Anyone in the White House making over $100,000, and that obviously includes the President since he makes around $400,000. I commend Obama and his great start from day one, and it's really disgusting to see how many bashers here will just complain for the sake of complaining. It doesn't matter whether the person is doing good or bad, it's always complain, complain, complain. Spread love, not negativity.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Absolutely there is. And when someone says, "I bet he is really doing this because..." and provides a decent reason, well then there is a good reason to be sceptical.

Right now it's obvious that people are just using cognitive dissonance.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Irish M1ck

Irish, if he can get Congress to curtail what they spend, then maybe I will be less skeptical. For now, I see that he wants to send a good message but I will remain skeptical till I see more writing on what is proposed. It may well be a good thing or another of Washington's feel good measure.

Appreciate your answer.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think it is awesome that the man wakes up aching from a long inauguration day and starts bustin heads. LOL

But some of those postions are hard, and really don't make what they are worth. In fact, that is the reason for some high turnovers because it is just not worth it. Is it fair to them?

Now is this white house staff? Administration? All Feds? Who is this limited too?

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I must say, I'm mostly just proud that after 8 years I can say without full conviction "I completely agree with this decision. I think the President of the United States has done the right thing." and not have a bad taste in my mouth.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I disagree. Yes, in a perfect world, it would be nice that politicians would make no more than you or me. And trust me, I don't think any of them deserve half of what they get these days. But the fact of the matter is that (many) politicians will want to make more money than the upper middle class.

Capped salaries mean politicians are more susceptible to corruption. It may indirect, but somehow I think this is going to create a vacuum that will eventually need to be filled.

Excuse my pessimism.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Can he sign an executive order to put a freeze on congress and the senate's pay, instead of them automatically getting an increase?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join