It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day

en.wikipedia.org...

www.mlkday.gov...

He was a great man, may he rest in peace.

"When people criticize Zionists," Martin Luther King said in 1968, "they mean Jews. You are talking anti-Semitism."

This quote I have to post, because it seems to hit home for me, and many here have said anti-zionism is not anti-semitism, Martin Luther King disagreed, I disagree, there's a fine invisible line between the two.

It would be nice to have a little more peace on here.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Razimus]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The world was a very different place when Dr. King made that statement. I am very sure if he were alive today he would denounce the behavior of the Israeli army in the clearest terms.

I am always moved when I hear the tapes of his masterful speeches. We lost a great man when he was killed. The nation owes him a great debt. How appropriate that Obama is getting sworn in tomorrow.

He didn't make it with us, but we are on the way.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I am offended how the MSM compares Obama to MLK. He is nothing like MLK in the fact that MLK was a well defined.. and a leader in the community before he gained his popularity. Obama.. not so much.

[edit on 19-1-2009 by Cio88]

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Ye i agree God bless Martin Luther King jr. was a great man and i wish i was around to see him but still he was one of the most inspirational men of his time and he really should be here today

But Obama is also one of the most inspiratonal men i have heard in aloing time and its a shame that he is undoubtedly going to face a degreee of raciosm and is is facing some already so we havent moved on completely yet but im sure MLK would be thrilled that America after all its history and reputaion has elected a Black President to lead them

i Just hope that history doesnt repeart itself with Obama

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I said this elsewhere ... I understand that the law requires the inauguration to be tomorrow. But I think it would have been nice to have an executive order moving it up one day for this time only. It's not like Bush would be in extra days - but would leave a day early so as to have the inauguration today. I think that would have been wonderful.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Are you sure its MLK day?

Read the following link:

www.imao.us...

you have to scroll all the way to the top and read down....but it is very interesting.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Are you sure its MLK day?

Read the following link:

www.imao.us...

you have to scroll all the way to the top and read down....but it is very interesting.

I don't think we are celebrating his birthday as much as the man himself, who cares on what day he was born.

So was Egar Allan Poe and Paul Rodriguez born on this day....hehe

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
he was a wonderful human being.
its amazing how much hate he still generates among some people.
he would be very proud had he lived to see this day.
obama is similar to him in that he started off by organizing in his community.
obama's road traveled is different because his desire to serve the public is different than king's but, the end results are what they do share.
no one will ever be like king. nor should they try to.
make an impact for change in your own way.
hopefully people will honor king's memory today by refraining from hate-filled rhetoric and replace it with a day of giving back to their respective communities by engaging in positive actions.
one can only hope.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I have been reluctant to do this, but I feel that perhaps its the right time to release this song.

The link below is to a song recorded at my recording studio back in 1992 by a band called Ideosecrecy. These guys were barely out of high school and wanted to do a demo recording for A&M Records Talent Search based out of Dallas Texas. They came into my studio and recorded 4 songs for the demo, one of which was a tribute song to Martin Luther King Jr.

The song is called "I Have A Dream" and was recorded on a Teac 80-8 1/2 inch 8 track analog reel to reel machine. It is 58 seconds shy of being a full 8 minutes long. The song is rock in genre and took the band 4 takes to lay down the base tracks, then about 3 days putting in the extra tracks for the spoken word part and guitar/bass effects.

For those wondering if this is an original composition, it is. I hold the full copyrights to this music so dont worry yourself about that. I also have the original reel to reel master tape. I am releasing this copy under the public domain use rights, as it has been processed and although does retain its original recording sound, it has been processed to a level so that re-mastering from this copy will obviously have less than original quality.

The song is in mp3 format, 128kps 44.1Khz 16bit stereo tagged ID3V1 & 2.

Right click on the link, then choose "Save Target As".

A tribute to Martin Luther King, from 1992. Ideosecrecy-"I Have A Dream"

Enjoy.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Also everyone should take some time out today and think of what Martin Luther King Jr's idea was behind his famous words "I Have A Dream".

Though most think of the freedoms and rights for one part of the American populace, it was meant for ALL of us. His message was about equality for everyone. His dream was for every single American, and tomorrow, just one of those dreams will be realized.

Perhaps dreams do become reality. We should all keep that in mind in today's uncertianty. Martin Luther King Jr. had faith that those dreams would become reality. Our dreams can become reality too.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Also everyone should take some time out today and think of what Martin Luther King Jr's idea was behind his famous words "I Have A Dream".

Though most think of the freedoms and rights for one part of the American populace, it was meant for ALL of us. His message was about equality for everyone. His dream was for every single American, and tomorrow, just one of those dreams will be realized.

Perhaps dreams do become reality. We should all keep that in mind in today's uncertianty. Martin Luther King Jr. had faith that those dreams would become reality. Our dreams can become reality too.

Cheers!!!!

I like to think me meant all of humanity. America is a starting point, but it ends when all men, the world over, can be judged by who they are.

Our incoming president...how many voted either for or against him because of his skin color? That was not the dream that Rev. King had. I wish we had another man like him in our nation right now.

He is missed dearly.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

True its about all of humanity, and no doubt humanity as a whole needs to have that dream of peace come alive.

There are odd circumstances with how or why Obama was elected. I agree that some of them would have MLK turning in his grave.

It does show that there is a long way to go to overcome that one basic element that MLK was talking about..racisim.

It amazes me that in this modern era....that racisim is so prevelant in our society. Can we actually call our civilization modern?

Set aside all the technological advances. Pretend that doesnt exsist.

What do we have to show that mankind has overcome and improved?

Im not sure there is anything we could show for ourselves that we have overcome.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Star and a flag. MLK was a great patriot that spoke his mind freely and eloquently. He worked to include all people in his message and not just black Americans. He is truly one of the greats of the 20th century and of United States history. I hope that with Obama reaching the presidency that more young people will be inspired to make something of their lives as there really are no limits to reaching high public office.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

True its about all of humanity, and no doubt humanity as a whole needs to have that dream of peace come alive.

There are odd circumstances with how or why Obama was elected. I agree that some of them would have MLK turning in his grave.

It does show that there is a long way to go to overcome that one basic element that MLK was talking about..racisim.

It amazes me that in this modern era....that racisim is so prevelant in our society. Can we actually call our civilization modern?

Set aside all the technological advances. Pretend that doesnt exsist.

What do we have to show that mankind has overcome and improved?

Im not sure there is anything we could show for ourselves that we have overcome.

Cheers!!!!

Not likely. Prejudice has been with us forever, and we still deal with it today. "gay marriage" is a great example of modern day prejudice.

our kids show it everyday in school with various status symbols. $150 shoes, having a cool phone...it is all so that prejudice can be enacted against those who are not "like them".

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
how does your dreams come to reality? like martin luther kings... education

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
what a wanker this man was and you stupid americans still love him. He was a racist prick who couldnt give a # about anyone not black. #ing great man

new topics

top topics

join