It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Big Oil attacking the science of Global Warming?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
In short, the answer is Yes, and here is the proof.

Below is a link to the Canadian program Fifth Estate's expose of the Global Warming Denial Machine.

www.cbc.ca...

It's an excellent piece of investigative journalism that exposes Big Oil and the Bush government's very methodical approach to halting the combat against Global Warming.

Here is a break down of its contents as they are shown.

1. It interviews the public relations expert who identified how to cause people to doubt the science of Global Warming, and how his work was adopted as policy by the White House. He now acknowledges Global Warming is a real threat and regrets his work.

2. It shows that the Oil Industry has used the same tools that the Tobacco industry used to delay acknowledgment of the link between smoking and cancer. The Oil industry is actually using some of the same scientists and the same PR company that were used to attack the tobacco-cancer link. It also shows how the Oil industry has covertly funded these groups.

3. It shows how the Oil industry attacked Canadian pro-Kyoto policy, and how Harper has adopted exactly the same strategy developed in Bush's White House.

I encourage Global-Warming Naysayers to watch it.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by rizla]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I think the "science" of global warming is falling apart all by itself just fine. I don't think it needs any help from anyone or organization.

I love this one!

It seems the freezing of the canals was a more regular occurrence in the 19th Century and has been a rare occurrence more recently, until the onset of Global Warming has brought about the recent temperature changes being experienced in the past several years.

Global Warming Continues Nearly Unabated

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Is this a good site or a bad one??

Big oil or independent?

scienceandpublicpolicy.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Did you watch the video? I guess not. I appreciate you may not want to watch the whole video. But just watch the first five minutes. It shows how White House policy was based on a study on how to effect public opinion, and not on science.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
In short, the answer is Yes, and here is the proof.[...]

I stopped reading here!
Well, I'll admit I kept reading, but I stopped taking the thread seriously. Just in case you are wondering why => denying ignorance, does not mean posting you're own thoughts as facts.

As to the vid I have a monthly download limit and I've already filled it. So either give me written proof why we are not heading straight into an iceage and why co2 is not caused by the temperature (as opposed to vice versa) or I'll be forced to move on.

BB,
Sam

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Aldolas]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by rizla

To be successful , all they need to do is convince people that there is scientific uncertainty.
People will not sacrifice there expectations of a certain standard of living for a scientific uncertainty.

The massive revenues that petroleum and petroleum products rake in for Big Media V.S ....... "the public's interest " no prizes for guessing what these Corporations choose.

The media needs to be decoupled from Corporate money , an American Corporation is just a flag on a box, there is no patriotism . Watch how fast they follow the profits out of a country . Their only concern is maximising profit and dividends for its shareholders.

The media should be protecting the masses from their excesses ... drawing National attention to there actions , not hiring themselves out ,facilitating their agenda.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by UmbraSumus

10-4

I think the main tool for big oil and industry is political partisanship. There has been a clear move to include anti global warming along side guns gays and "free trade".
It is very easy to create a con in a black and white sort of fashion.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aldolas
Just in case you are wondering why => denying ignorance, does not mean posting you're own thoughts as facts.

As to the vid I have a monthly download limit and I've already filled it.

Please see: en.wikipedia.org...

This is the man who created the strategy that the White house policy was based on. At the start of the video he details how he created the strategy of Global warming denial by identifying what arguments and what words create doubt in the minds of people.

"The scientific debate is closing [against us] but not yet closed. There is still a window of opportunity to challenge the science...Voters believe that there is no consensus about global warming within the scientific community. Should the public come to believe that the scientific issues are settled, their views about global warming will change accordingly. Therefore, you need to continue to make the lack of scientific certainty a primary issue in the debate, and defer to scientists and other experts in the field."

Here's a link about him specifically related to his role in denial of Global Warming and his subsequent change of heart:

www.treehugger.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Enough with the "Global Warming" hoax already.

We don't want your carbon credit scam!
UN Blowback: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims
epw.senate.gov...

You know that we haven't had any warming since 1998... Hansen and Nasa had to recant their data so don't post any old BS Hansen graphs used by Algore because they are bunk.

Were going into a cooling stage.. so, you know the CO2 hoaxers have to be ready.. LOL

Greenhouse gases could have caused an ice age, claim scientists
www.telegraph.co.uk...

english.pravda.ru...

I find it ironic that people still support and believe this Co2 is causing global warming, Wait - I mean Ice Age ...Hold on a sec... I don't know what we mean but anything bad with the weather means CO2! Now give us the carbon credit / cap & trade scam so a bunch of paper traders, politicians, and scientists get rich! Shhh.. don't ask any questions, just give us the money and power we want to regulate everyone's lives and charge you trillions in taxes and fees in order to line our pockets! (Oh and by the way, not one ton of CO2 goes away with the carbon credit scam just you and I are lighter in the wallet).

Credits may not reduce emissions
daily.stanford.edu...

Look at this scam www.capitalresearch.org...

Global Warming - NASA Scientist Dr. Hansen caught again

Article Quotes - NASA Scientist caught lying again
vocalminority.typepad.com...

In addition, as the Telegraph article goes on to say, this is not the first time Hansen has been caught fixing the climate data! As Christopher Horner (author of the book The Politically Incorrect Guide to Global Warming and Environmentalism) reported last September that the very same Anthony Watts caught NASA fixing the data by placing thermometers “… in Arizona parking lots, overhanging black asphalt pads, near cell towers and hot-air blowing air conditioner exhausts or next to trash burn barrels, … setting one just away from a chimney directly above a Weber barbecue grill …”

Regardless, as a result of all of the controversy a clearly not amused National Climatic Data Center suddenly pulled the actual locations of the temperature measuring stations from publicly available resources! Mr. Watts took them to task. As of this writing, the locations are again publicly available.

Why does James Hansen still have a job? Not once, but twice he has been caught fixing the data in order to further his own radical anti-capitalist agenda. He should at least have his doctoral degree revoked.

This is Gore's pet global warming gloom and doom prophet again being caught passing off bad data and when caught, they try to cover it up.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

This embarrassment came amid NASA also having to correct its data since the year 2000, which has been used to support many of the global warming alarmists’ “money claims”, such as Al Gore’s line that 9 of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the past decade.

These power hungry nuts want the power to "punish" those they see as not paying them the money they want. (This is a great scam...awesome way to consolidate money and power).

A former chairman of the Bar Council is calling for an international court for the environment to punish states that fail to protect wildlife and prevent climate change.

Even though most people have caught on... our friends are more than happy to try to pass legislation to tax us and establish an INTERNATIONAL COURT if you can believe that.... The Money & Power.... must have!!

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Their time is short.... the word about the Global Warming Money Grab Is Getting Out..... Making those who scheme to get rich and wield more power a bit concerned so they have to start implementing their schemes before to many people start dissenting.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by infolurker]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00

Big oil or independent?

Maybe you could read these papers I linked you Rizla!

I watched your video!

I didn't think much of it to tell you the truth, I don't trust anything Bush and his cronies do but that doesn't mean that there is any Man Made Global Warming!!
I prefer to read my science rather than watch it on TV as I don't trust the media either!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zerozero00

The video I posted is not about science. It is is about how Big Oil and the White House have used the science of attitude change to debunk the science of Global Warming.

Whether you believe Global Warming is a fact or not, the process Big Oil is using to alter the debate is enlightening.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00

Big oil or independent?

scienceandpublicpolicy.org... is Big Oil funded.

en.wikipedia.org...

The New York Times reported that in 2002 Frontiers of Freedom (Science and Public Policy Institute) received $230,000 in funding from Exxon. The institute received $90,000 in funding from ExxonMobil in 2006.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Well spotted rizla!
I have never doubted the intentions of BIG OIL!

I only doubt the science we (don't) get from the MSM that the world is caving in and its all our fault!!

Man Made Global Warming is Man Made Global Scaremongering!

If the facts on the Monckton papers can't be disproved then it dosent matter who funds the science...obviously its in the interests of BIG OIL that them facts are known!!
Why can't al Gore stand up to this Monckton bloke and have a valid but heated debate?

Good thread rizla!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
reply to post by zerozero00

[...]Whether you believe Global Warming is a fact or not, the process Big Oil is using to alter the debate is enlightening.

Oh yes, I'll agree with that. Everybody does that!
BTW in the the links you gave me he does NOT admit that climate change is happening:

Luntz: "It's now 2006. I think most people would conclude that there is global warming taking place and that the behavior of humans are (sic) affecting the climate."

"Most people would conclude" does not mean, "I believe" or "is fact"!

The point I'm trying to make is: not only read and listen but also listen precisely to what is being said and what you are being led to believe. They are usually different.

Another couple of examples: buy a new care NOW (from) only $9,999!!! (You'll probably end up paying 15 Grand!) We offer 0% finance (smallprint: if you pay cash then the price will go down by 20%.... 0%, yeah right!). We'll give you (up to)3 GRAND for you're old car. (UP TO = maximum = new porsche 0 miles. What are you driving?

Those are the easy ones. Now watch Iran's Presidents x-mas speech and see what he says to Israel and the USA, then look at the thread to the subject and enjoy yourself when mega-patriotic bush-A-kissing users loved the speech! I enjoyed the speech too, thereagain I agree with him.
Now listen / watch the news and look for words like "credit crunch" and "terrorists" used in the wrong context. (Learn to look out for those words!)
Listen to how the MSM talk about the democratically elected and from Israel financed party.... What were their name again? HAMAS! ....oops....

Remember what GWB had to say to Russia who was defending it's citizens against Georgia? (I went mental, believe me, I nearly crashed my truck shouting and swearing at the radio!) The (and I (mis)quote the BBC) 'retarded cowboy' said something in the lines of: "It is out of order that Russia attacks a democratic country!"
PEOPLE BELIEVED THE CR@P! There were people who believed it!!! Two days before everybody heard how Georgia started a war, now they suddenly believed that Russia had attacked!
If you live in England (or if you have sirius) and are still in your youth
then listen to Radio1. (I think there 'target group' is teens to 25) Don't take any of it seriously, especially not the news or the weather! But listen to the news and listen how it changes during the day, the same story actually changes.

Ok, those were some of the things that I have noticed. Anyone got things to watch out for, for me?

BB,
Samuel

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Is global warming just another way to get money out of your pockets?
Answer: yes

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   

This big oil attacking the science of global warming hoax.

This is the bogey man the tree huggers use EVERYTIME anyone one challenges there pet scam.

This is just a excuse to never have to debate global warming in a open forum.

There has NEVER been a open debate of global warming because the tree huggers know they can not win a open debate and it suits there purpose for there never to be a open debate.

This is why they always use the big oil attack HOAX.

The whole point in the global warming scam is to feed the world a bunch of faulty data with out any debate as to the accuracy of the data.

You will note that anytime anyone challenges there data they do not try to prove the data is right.

No anyone that challenges there data is automatically branded a shill for the oil companies.

They know that 70% of the population does not know how to research the data to tell if its accurate or not.

For the treehuggers proving there data is unneeded if all they have to do is attack anyone that disagrees as working for the oil companies.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus

To be successful , all they need to do is convince people that there is scientific uncertainty.
People will not sacrifice there expectations of a certain standard of living for a scientific uncertainty.

That is fair enough and I know where you are coming from but there has been massive incentive to go green over the past 5 years and with the hike in oil prices last year, countries all around the world are investing huge money in greener and renewable energy sources so the Oil companies obviously aren't doing a great job.

Climate change is 100% fact but the root causes (except for solar energy) cannot be pinned. The earths climate has always been changing and always will be.

Research the people who are promoting the global warming problem and research the people who are trying to downplay it - you will see that BOTH sides have agenda's that are have nothing to do with saving the planet.

Don't get sucked into the bull# from either side.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo[...]
Research the people who are promoting the global warming problem and research the people who are trying to downplay it - you will see that BOTH sides have agenda's that are have nothing to do with saving the planet.

Don't get sucked into the bull# from either side.

Very well said!
That's why finding the agenda is so important.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Europe
Is global warming just another way to get money out of your pockets?

Is denial of the human role in rapid climate change just another way to get money out of your pockets?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join