It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we live in a Simulated Reality?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by soma_pills

If the nature of the Universe is indeed holographic that has some practical implications. Hate a small thing - you hate everything in that moment. Love a small thing - you love everything in that moment. And thats just one example.

Perspective is also an amazing thing. Looking down at the traffic, from an airplane, it does look like bloodstreams...which are sometimes congested.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DemonicAngelZero
This just reminds me of Star Ocean: Till the end of time. An entire universe that's just a simulation. At the end of the game, the main characters succeed in turning the simulation off. Because the people had faith in their own existence, believed that they were more than 1's and 0's, they continued to exist outside of the simulation.

Interestingly our entire reality is made up of 0s and 1s...the basic duality of hot cold, up down, right left, this that, big small...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
When do dreams become nightmares and nightmares reality?

Answer that correctly and you will understand with complete wakened clarity what is simulated and then know without doubt or question the true reality of our human condition.

Hello Cryptic...care to elaborate?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but this idea is one of the oldest concepts in western philosophical thought. A lot of the speculation on this thread would be clarified and eliminated with some basic readings into very well-known philosophers like Plato, Aristotle, Locke, Kant, Heidegger, Wittgenstein, Rorty and others.

It's fun to speculate; but the fact is this is well-trodden ground, with well-understood constructs, arguments and conclusions having been in place for literally thousands of years. I strongly suggest some serious philosophical reading before getting too excited,"

Im very familiar with Kant and Heidegger.

But that does not make this "well-trodden-ground". If it were, we`d have more answers by now...which most of us dont.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kid_of_3NKi

Now, could it be that the fact that our cosmos is a simulation, is actualy the super-hot reason why UFOs are being kept soooooooo top secret??
Maybe UFOnauts are actualy the developers and administrators of this whole thing, who occasionally enter this world for various reasons (observing, testing, debugging, etc..
) and fly around in those special vehicles we call UFOs, using cheat modes to bypass the laws of physics, just like we use cheat modes sometimes when we play our own computer games? Is that why UFOs sometimes are being seen doing these impossible maneuvers? And ghost appearances and similar paranormal phenomena could be be explained as memory glitches and other type of bugs occuring.

Thats certainly an interesting theory. Researcher (and co-inventor of the Internet!!!) Jacques Vallee hints toward that in his books.

If the masterminds of the game are discovered, its "game over". Maybe nobody really wants a game over.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Hmmm...
Does the exact nature of reality matter?
We perceive as existing reality only that which we consciously sense as being the prevailing reality, i.e. while dreaming the dream IS reality. The experiences of waking hours cannot play a factor because one isn't conscious of them. That's why people aren't aware of dreams being 'virtual' and will not act recklessly or counter productive to their interest while in the virtual reality of dreaming.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

I sometimes get that right after waking up. As if the world is being "assembled" when I wake up. Its pretty awesome.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Matrix Traveller

I am involved in a project with a number of other people that are intending to have available for the general public a device 1st introduced as a child's toy to acclimatise people to the reality your thread is on.

This toy will allow you to travel through your experience including through your universe and will also be used as a learning tool.

Thats the most fascinating thing Ive read this week. More info on this toy...?

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkSecret
why would anyone choose to be homeless in a simulation? you'd think you'd want to be a millionaire or at least well off and have a decent amount of time inside the simulation right?

A game where it were easy for anyone to choose to be a millionaire would be one boring, unchallenging game.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokecrops

I'll end with this, I would be embarrassed if I posted this. If I actually thought this, I'd most likely check myself into a mental hospital....

I have a question for the Poster, do you think someone is trying to communicate with you through the radio? or do you feel like someone is controlling your thoughts? or trying to communicate with you in your head by using telepathy? if so, please go see a doctor.....maybe your reality is just a simulation...a simulation of your own insanity.....

this is sad....

No, I dont think those things.

Relax mate. Some of us have been asking ourselves these questions long before "The Matrix" came out.

As far back as pre-school I was asking my parents: "Why dont I remember what was before birth?" and getting annoyed by the pat-answers.

Its quite natural to question oneself and ones environment.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSingularity
If, on the other hand, you are asking if we were created for the sole purpose of living inside of some kind of simulation and that we couldn't even exist without, then my ultimate answer is, what does it matter?

Oh, nothing. Just making conversation

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Matrix Traveller

If you really desire the answers to these Questions, become single minded and Ask with all your heart and Mind, making it a priority in your life !

Wholeheartedness of intent is probably the single most powerful force in existence.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Teratoma
reply to post by smokecrops

Actually you are the first one to express these sentiments. There are a few other posters who disagreed with the OP; even ones who felt it necessary to remind us that "movies aren't real", but they did so without using terms like "idiots", "morons" and "pea-brains".

Wow. Simply wow. Thanks for putting into words how I was feeling. Regardless of how you feel about someone's post cutting them down does not show greater intelligence only a lack of empathy. This is the main reason I stopped playing WoW because I got tired of people just attacking others. Every once in a while I think the same of ATS and then someone like you posts and makes me feel better.

I'd like to live in a world where we can all express our beliefs and not be torn apart by them. And if I can't have that I would at least like to have it here on ATS.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cythraul
Haven't had time to read past the first page yet but I had some thoughts to share:

If you were to put on a Virtual Reality headset and bodysuit, your actual five senses become temporarily unimportant, right? I mean, VR head and body wear is designed to replace your actual senses. So for the time that you experience virtual realty, your actual senses have no real importance. Say you wore this equipment for a billion years, evolution would render your original five senses obselete because all you need to experience daily 'reality' are the virtual senses provided by the VR equipment.

Now switch this and replace the original five senses with your spiritual identity, and replace those VR senses with our earthly five senses.

Seems plausible to me that if we are living in an illusory world, there are very scientific ways of explaining how it could be possible.

Seems plausible to me.

A new emerging field of research is "life between lives" hypnotherapy and regression (rather than "past lives regression").

This field of research comes to just these conclusions (of the body being a "suit" one puts on for one life-time).

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkSecret

Interesting that you bring that up. People who immerse themselves in certain computer games start dreaming of them at night. They become part of their reality.

What if the descent of the soul is not finished yet and we will some day become entangled in yet another virtual reality within the virtual reality...

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by DarkSecret
why would anyone choose to be homeless in a simulation? you'd think you'd want to be a millionaire or at least well off and have a decent amount of time inside the simulation right?

A game where it were easy for anyone to choose to be a millionaire would be one boring, unchallenging game.

This is one of the items that has come up in discussions I've had with friends lately. I've seen it on the thread a few times so I'll add my comments.

I'm familiar with various philosophies about our world being a "school". Some theories are about it having been designed as a "prison". The notion that it is a "game" is also popular, and this discussion is more about that, I'd say.

So if it's a game, who would choose to be a starving orphan with diseases? Well, perhaps that's a way to earn the mega bonus points. Or maybe you have to start out at a "low" level. Maybe you can start out on a higher level if you put TWO quarters in the machine.

If pain is learning then the above makes sense.

I've been toying with the idea of this life not being as natural an existence as we're supposed to think. That if there is an "afterlife", it IS our natural state, but that something was put in place (by someone other than the 'creator of the universe' or 'mother nature') to cause us to "reincarnate" into these awkward meatbags over and over again.

So, umm, yeah. Good thread.

s & f

[edit to add quote]

[edit on 1/18/2009 by Teratoma]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

That was one hell of an intense post. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww

Its like, for a moment in time, you experienced some reality behind the charade.

And the circle thing I totally get. If someone were to stare at a vinyl record for awhile they'd learn a lot about the nature of the universe.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
When I was about 10 I started to feel like there was something wrong, or off with everything, like faintly sour milk. I came across a book, The peaceful warrior, two years later and everything changed so rapidly. Several years passed where I practiced a form of meditation and physical training. The feeling of this world being off only increased more greatly. I've had this intense desire to travel, to get away from our social structure and live out on my own in seclusion and meditation. There's much meaning words cannot simply convey.

This society of ours is empty and dieing, as is our food and planet. I feel myself dieing too. Some days I am so tired, so weary from what I see. The urge to leave is overwhelming, but to where? Dreams were my only comfort in them I found myself. I knew from them that life itself was but a dream.

Some dreams we recognize our potential, other dreams we glide along the stream.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Teratoma

Whether or not that popular afterllife-scenario described in various accounts is yet another "fake" to lure us back into incarnation or if it is in fact the "real thing" we can trust, is yet another interesting question.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Check out this recent article in New Scientist.

www.newscientist.com...

If this is true though, just what are the ramifications?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join