It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's inaugeration cost soars to over $150 million!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
In previous threads Obama's defense brigade on ATS have proclaimed that his inaugeration wasn't expensive at all because it was projected to be "only" $50 million dollars. As expected, the Obama campaign tried to keep secret on the costs because the real cost is soaring and out of control - a good omen for his future presidency.

The current cost is now over $150,000,000.00 (source). It will also emit more green house gases than any other inauguration in history.

The hypocrisy of Obama is simply amazing. Here is someone who has announced that things are horrible and will get worse in the economy and that the great depression II is a very real possibility. And yet, he is spending fantastical sums on his own inauguration. Here is someone who has proclaimed that he would stop the sea waters from rising and stop global warming, and his event will do the most harm to the environment when compared to all other inaugurations.

Say one thing, and do another. The model for the Obama Presidency. And of course, the media isn't covering this at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
It never matters to them because they dont pay for it..us taxpayers foot the bill, just as we are footing the bill for the bailout and the next bailout and so on.

When someone else pays the bill, its easy for them to splurge on the expenses and not bat an eye about it.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Considering all of the wasted and lost money of the past administrations, I'm really not so concerned at this point, so it doesn't really suprise me. Besides, he's the first black prez. you gotta give them that much for such a huge block party and the additional need for security.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:40 PM
link   
That is an enormous waste of my money.

All they need to do now is have the fountains pour wine and have a gold laced rug rolled out everywhere he walks.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by dantrav]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I hope they enjoy the party while countless Americans are going to bed in the streets or in shelters, hungry and unemployed due to no fault of their own.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I hope they enjoy this party very much. The lavishness of this occassion is not apalling at all. Wanton spending of other people's money (especially that of the dumb masses'
) provides jobs and is pleasurably spiteful (coz it came from dumb people
) . Calling on the rich's conspicous consumption is detrimental to local economies, you know. And stupid.

More more more! Spend spend spend! GOBAMA!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Just to keep on point,

In addition, funding will come from Obama's own fund-raising efforts and from private contributors

Of course that statement is not to be outdone by the previous statement:

The federal government has budgeted $49m for the inauguration. But this does not take account of other demands, such as from Virginia and Maryland, the states surrounding the capital, that have also asked for emergency funding.

There is also the concern of a snow day, which will increase the spending, after the fact, to handle the dangers and conflicts created by mother nature.

Part of this is due to cost inflation, as can be noticed when comparing inaugurations from the past as they steadily climb. As well, someone already pointed out, this is the nations first black president. It stands to reason that there will be tighter security, a more massive crowd to deal with, and of course his own lavish tastes to account for.

I didnt see anything in the story about how this event will pump out more GHG than any other. I suppose that is just an assumption based on the bloated event. Event the released event schedule doesnt hint at this. Well, that is unless you think "The Boss" and Beyonce are just full of hot air.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Hi.

It is an historic occasion,but the cost of this exercise seems way out of proportion considering this is the supposed man of "change"!
This is a huge slap in the face for the millions of Americans who, at this very moment,are struggling to keep their families heads above water!
Why not just have the ceremony in the oval office,and cut out all the extravagance,just simply have the world media in attendance.

Too many of todays polititians have simply forgotten,or have no idea,what it is like to be an average man on the street,what with most of them having a priviledged upbringing!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
It seems that both Clinton and Bush spent their second inaugurations around $40-50 million. Source

In all honesty though, how much of that money is actually paid for by taxpayers?

The significant majority of funding for [Bush's 2004 inauguration] festivities, including nine officials balls, are from private donations and tickets for events held by the Presidential Inaugural Committee, a similar setup to fund raising Mr. Clinton used to underwrite his inauguration. Mr. Clinton had a record 12 balls in 1997.

A Jan. 20, 1997, story by USA Today estimated about $12.7 million of Mr. Clinton's inauguration was financed by U.S. taxpayers. Initial estimates indicate the District will foot about $17 million in security costs this year.

Source

Don't get me wrong, I think that $150 million is way too much at a time when many people in the US are having problems buying food, let alone paying their mortages. But I still am curious as to if Obama's inauguration is the same as Bush's with most of the funding coming from private donations (includind all of the money that people donated during the campaign).

Edit to fix tags, and I see that wheresthetruth beat me on some of this, sorry.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by riddle6]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Wow, obama's coronation is over $160 million www.nydailynews.com...
He is truly a man of the people.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Oh but guess what, people, there's a whole different angle to this:

When Obama spends this much on the inaugural it's okay. When Bush spends almost 1/4 of what Obama is spending, the Associated Press suggested it was in "poor taste"!

Four years ago, the Associated Press and others in the press suggested it was in poor taste for Republicans to spend $40 million on President Bush’s inauguration. AP writer Will Lester calculated the impact that kind of money would have on armoring Humvees in Iraq, helping victims of the tsunami, or paying down the deficit. Lester thought the party should be cancelled: “The questions have come from Bush supporters and opponents: Do we need to spend this money on what seems so extravagant?”

and, that's not the best part:

Fast forward to 2009. The nation is still at war (two wars, in fact), and now also faces the prospect of a severe recession and federal budget deficits topping $1 trillion as far as the eye can see. With Barack Obama’s inauguration estimated to cost $45 million (not counting the millions more that government will have to pay for security), is the Associated Press once again tsk-tsking the high dollar cost?

Nope. “For inaugural balls, go for glitz, forget economy,” a Tuesday AP headline advised. (that article is here: www.google.com...)

newsbusters.org...

How's that for first class hypocracy? Not only does it prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a major media outlet leans liberal, it also proves that they are first class hypocrites!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by scobro
Hi.

It is an historic occasion,but the cost of this exercise seems way out of proportion considering this is the supposed man of "change"!
This is a huge slap in the face for the millions of Americans who, at this very moment,are struggling to keep their families heads above water!

Not just that - I heard on the radio yesterday that the State of California is going to have to start issuing IOU's instead of state income tax refunds to its taxpayers because they don't have the money. I looked it up and confirmed that story here:

California might issue IOUs for tax refunds
www.msnbc.msn.com...

And, the state is broke and about to go bankrupt. Slap in the face? It's a knife in the stomach and a spit in the face.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by sos37

Things seem way worse in The States,than here in Britain and for that you all have my deepest sympathies.
Many of us over here seem to be having a hard time in really absorbing the seriousness of the situation that you find yourselves in.
How can the most powerful nation on Earth find itself in such a predicament?

$150,000,000?
Your incoming President should really know better!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

I was about to say the same thing you said.

I was out today doing errands and I can't believe all the people I seen on the sides of the streets homeless. They had old dirty mattress on the ground with dirty blankets to cover themselves. It's cold here, was in the forties last night.
I came home and made 2 large pots of hot homemade soup and bread and I took it to them. They were so grateful. Some of them looked like they hadn't eaten for days.

I also took them some clean warm blankets.
How can our government turn a blind eye to the suffering going on in the United States of America?
How can they spend that amount of money on the President elect?
Other countries think that everyone in the U.S.A. is wealthy which is so untrue!
Our country sends OUR food to other countries when there are so many hungrey and homeless people in THE UNITED STATES.
There is no way that this or any other president elect deserves this kind of money to be sworn in.
I heard a little while ago on tv that the costs for one person to go to one of these Balls is 50.000.00 dollars and 100.000.00 for a couple.
This is absolutly insane!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

This would have been a good opportunity for Obama to redeem himself in my eyes, in light of the financial crises in America and across the planet, he could have made a statement with a show of humility by toning it down,

BUT NOOOOOOOOOOOO
this doesn't help.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
obama should spend that money on a buffet lunch for all the homeless and poor people in the washington dc area.
obama disgusts me. you can easily have a celebration party without spending that much money. this is as ridiculous as all those sweet16 parties you see on mtv. overdone, not necessary.
i dont want to hear him once talk about our economy in shambles
i hate hypocrisy and obama is the epitome of it

obama is shameful.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by inked up]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I hope they enjoy the party while countless Americans are going to bed in the streets or in shelters, hungry and unemployed due to no fault of their own.

I just don't get it,

Let them eat cake.
Marie-Antoinette

[edit on 043131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yes, the irony in the fact you fellas complain about "media bias" and "partisan bias" and yet you folks completely turn your backs to the last 8years as if it never happened, put all focus on the yet to be president, and then you continue to mislead folks here. Your no better than the propaganda machines out there you so claim to deny ignorance.

Lets start with the title:

"Obama's inaugeration cost soars to over $150 million"

The inauguration has not begun and you are already accusing the man of overspending. Chew your food before you swollow.

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
In previous threads Obama's defense brigade on ATS have proclaimed that his inaugeration wasn't expensive at all because it was projected to be "only" $50 million dollars.

I dont recall anybody saying the inauguration was not going to be expensive, just like the last inaugurations. Why are you putting words in those who questioned your accusations? You cannot counter them directly so you insist on lying about what they said in the last thread. Pathetic

As expected, the Obama campaign tried to keep secret on the costs because the real cost is soaring and out of control

The Obama campaign is yet to spend any amount for the OP to offer any truth.

The hypocrisy in Obama

Yes, the hypocrisy in Obama.... before he actually does something to be accused of hypocrisy.

Hey heres more hypocrisy for you folks...

-A war waged and promoted by righties, costing $200 million a day, a war with no real point other than to benefit the Bushies financially, a war that for some reason righties here have swepted under the rug when bragging about their "fiscal responsibilities".

-A second inauguration by Bush in 2005, meanwhile his preaching everybody to do their part in his war, in righties war, costing over $200 million a day, with the economy still in a mess at that time, and his spending that amount on his inauguration. Obama is yet to spend close to or above that amount.

Hypocrisy, you fellas display it with no shame.

Here is someone who has announced that things are horrible and will get worse in the economy and that the great depression II is a very real possibility

Im sorry, the years of the rightie administration painting a pink picture of the realities of this war and the cost of the war, the economy and the markets and ofcourse this nationalistic garbage... I guess you just prefer it that way. You fellas complain that his being honest in the situation but at the same time you accuse the man of lying on his campaign promises before he even starts his first term. Jeeze.

And yet, he is spending fantastical sums

He is yet to spend "fantastical sums" of money in his inuguration that you so accuse him of. Liar.

Im done here... I leave the venom dripping conservative clan to continue partisan bickering... seriously... I feel as though you fellas have become the group of ATS grumpy conservatives.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by southern_Guardian]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
and to all you obama supporters who will no doubt bring up other president's ridiculous spending on parties. just stop now and dont even say it! the man you voted into this position said he would be different and there would be change.

so far, the only change he shows us is bad change. if he was truly a man of change, he would have said: due to the horrible state of our economy, we will be toning down all celebrations. or please make your donations to this or that charity. we will be grilling hot dogs and hamburgers instead of top dollar dinners and entertainment.
but the charlatan is not a man of his word nor a man of change.

and really these parties are not even for the people. they are for the rich and famous - not you - you little people who voted for him! you arent rich or important enoughbut you are paying for it!
how you like them apples?! suckers!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by inked up

The man is yet to start his first term... get a hold of yourself. You want to bicker, grow a spine and look back to the last 8years... Jeeze..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join