It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama's inaugeration cost soars to over $150 million!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MagicaRose
reply to post by Greenize

I was about to say the same thing you said.

I was out today doing errands and I can't believe all the people I seen on the sides of the streets homeless. They had old dirty mattress on the ground with dirty blankets to cover themselves. It's cold here, was in the forties last night.
I came home and made 2 large pots of hot homemade soup and bread and I took it to them. They were so grateful. Some of them looked like they hadn't eaten for days.

I also took them some clean warm blankets.
How can our government turn a blind eye to the suffering going on in the United States of America?
How can they spend that amount of money on the President elect?
Other countries think that everyone in the U.S.A. is wealthy which is so untrue!
Our country sends OUR food to other countries when there are so many hungrey and homeless people in THE UNITED STATES.
There is no way that this or any other president elect deserves this kind of money to be sworn in.
I heard a little while ago on tv that the costs for one person to go to one of these Balls is 50.000.00 dollars and 100.000.00 for a couple.
This is absolutly insane!

My sediments exactly the priorities of or government and elected representatives are so far out of kilter it is not funny. It is evident they do not care because they get their yearly automatic pay raises voted in by themselves for there is no outside opposition. They know because of the depressed economic situation our country is in that there would be to much opposition for them to get a raise if it was not already voted into affect. Would it be nice to fire the whole bunch.

Spend, spend and spend it does not make a difference Republican or Democrat they are all guilty in making government bigger and spending like their is no tomorrow. Well folks tomorrow is here and because of the out of control spending the wonderful people of this nation will have to pay dearly for what our politicians let happen to our economy, banking institutions and out of control real estate investments on their watch.

The homeless ranks will skyrocket and bless you for helping them. Tent cities all across this nation will start to pop up when more and more people lose their homes, cars, jobs and not having enough money for food. Dear Creator we pray for the people of this Great Nation that they have Peace, food, clothing and shelter.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by southern_Guardian

Don't you think that the member "inked up" has a point though?

It seems incredibly bad taste for this event to be so expensive when your nation is in such financially dire straits!

It seems like "change" is going to be the way ahead for America,as the average American will see his way of life change for the worse,while nothing changes for the elite!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
$!50 Million, huh? That's about 1/3 of what we spend in Iraq and Afghanistan EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Source

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
$150 Million, huh? That's about 1/3 of what we spend in Iraq and Afghanistan EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Source

Big deal. One is the inaugeration (and Obama does deserve something nice). The others are war. You're comparing apples to oranges.

If you think of war as a giant bark chipper that eats up just about everything a city the size of Pittsburgh could use over the Memorial Day weekend, and eats it up in the time it takes to read this, you get some idea of how much a war costs.

Oh, and imagine shoving all this into the bark chipper when a buttload of extremely energetic and adrenalized SOBs are dropping bombs on you, shooting you up with arty, gassing you to your knees and setting fire to your pants.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
The man is yet to start his first term... get a hold of yourself. You want to bicker, grow a spine and look back to the last 8years... Jeeze..

Opps, looks like someone struck a nerve. Still waiting at home for the personal invitation from Obama???

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
If I were President I would be more traditional about it.

Put out the podium with the Presidential seal on it. Take an oath, make a speech, and go inside the office and get to work.

Budget: Under $500

He isn't an entertainer, he is the President. And I'd like to think Americans could respect that approach more knowing how their money has been wasted lately.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I think what has to be taken into account is that this is the first inauguration since 9/11.

So security REALLY had to be beefed up.

This is not only for the prez, but to keep all the visitors safe as well.

Inaugurations before didn't have to worry about bio terrorism, attacks, and so forth.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

No no its fine Jerico... no need to counter my posts... you just add those smileys and act as if you could not care about the facts... it only proves to me that you have nothing on the man...

The truth of the matter is, Obama is yet to serve a term, and yet to spend that money, as the OP so clearly decided to mislead people on. When you have 8 years of blatantly obvious lies and government mishandling on this great nation, you know what kind of people your dealing with when they turn a blind eye to that fact and look towards somebody yet to serve... or do anything.

Deny ignorance.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

No no its fine Jerico... no need to counter my posts... you just add those smileys and act as if you could not care about the facts... it only proves to me that you have nothing on the man...

The truth of the matter is, Obama is yet to serve a term, and yet to spend that money, as the OP so clearly decided to mislead people on. When you have 8 years of blatantly obvious lies and government mishandling on this great nation, you know what kind of people your dealing with when they turn a blind eye to that fact and look towards somebody yet to serve... or do anything.

Well, let me know when his inaugeration comes rolling in under what Bush and Clinton spent on theirs. I have a hunch it probably will be quite a bit more.

Deny ignorance.

And that's your version of the last word? You might want to work on that a bit.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
One is the inaugeration (and Obama does deserve something nice). The others are war. You're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not comparing the inauguration to war. I'm comparing the COST of the inauguration to the COST of the war. $150 million dollars sounds like a lot of money (and it is) but I'm just putting it into perspective.

I agree with you that Obama deserves something nice, but he is just one person. Think of all the people who are participating in the inauguration. This isn't just for him, it's for all of us. It's a symbolic "turning of the page" which is SORELY needed. I know a lot of people on ATS aren't celebrating, but the vast majority of the country is. This is for us all.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

BH, you should know what a crock it is when any politician says that something like that is "for all the American people." It never is. It's for their own egos and their elite rich and famous buddies. It's never for the common grunt that's on the corner directing traffic (which my friend is) or the guy that has to clean up the mess on 21 Jan.

But, on a humorous note:

www.guardian.co.uk...

"Obama today issued a statement calling on people across the nation to participate by holding their own neighbourhood events, including their own balls."

I declare today to be "Hold your own balls" day. Carry on.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
$!50 Million, huh? That's about 1/3 of what we spend in Iraq and Afghanistan EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Source

Don't worry that will increase as well. Don't you remember Obama talking about bolstering troops in Afghanistan?

It is a colossal waste of money regardless of who is doing it.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal...

He deserves no more than the person who cleans his toilet. He's just another passenger on this bus.

After his speech earlier today he could be clearly heard to say "Come on, lets get out of here" as he expanded his chest and his body language telegraphed what all this worship has done to his character.

I have no idea what kind of President he will be but he is clearly full of himself at the moment. His first failure will cure that and make him a better leader.

The cost of this is obscene whether you support him or not. A Great Man would have told the contributors to send their checks to charities and asked his minions to volunteer their services for the Inauguration.

Humble men do not spend tens of millions to parade across the country on a train just so people can get a look at him or touch him as if he were a deity. We expect that from our egocentric celebrities, but we should expect more from our leaders who control our futures.

[edit on 1/17/2009 by Blaine91555]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Ah, the Barack Obama defense brigade rolls in! You guys are getting a little late - I hope the Democrat Party isn't paying you too much because really I am not impressed with the propaganda you are trying to spread.

Yes, the irony in the fact you fellas complain about "media bias" and "partisan bias" and yet you folks completely turn your backs to the last 8years as if it never happened, put all focus on the yet to be president, and then you continue to mislead folks here. Your no better than the propaganda machines out there you so claim to deny ignorance.

Oh yes, the entire media is on your side and absolutely fawning over Barack Obama but let us absolutely forget any relationship between what the man says and what he actually does. Silly me, expecting someone who claims to bring "change" not to be just another Washington hypocrite.

Originally posted by TruthDefender
Lets start with the title:

"Obama's inaugeration cost soars to over $150 million"

The inauguration has not begun and you are already accusing the man of overspending. Chew your food before you swollow.

Perhaps you should check the facts before spreading your propaganda, shill. Just days ago you were working with your other members of the Obama Defense Team to proclaim that it was no big deal because it was "only" 50 million.

What do you not understand about a $150,000,000 being absurdly expensive when the past two presidents, of both parties, never spent more than 40,000,000?

I dont recall anybody saying the inauguration was not going to be expensive, just like the last inaugurations. Why are you putting words in those who questioned your accusations? You cannot counter them directly so you insist on lying about what they said in the last thread. Pathetic

You should stop making up stuff, it really makes your posts comical. You are pathetic.

The Obama campaign is yet to spend any amount for the OP to offer any truth.

More propaganda - your so stepped in your own sewage you can't even see the truth right in front of you. Lavish amounts of money have already been spent.

Yes, the hypocrisy in Obama.... before he actually does something to be accused of hypocrisy.

Perhaps you were too busy drinking the Obama kool aid to notice that we just had a 11 month long presidential campaign. During that campaign Obama declared the economy was horrible and the great depression was nigh. Then he approves spending $150 MILLION, more than THREE TIMES MORE THAN THE PAST TWO PRESIDENTS, on his own enthronement.

-A war waged and promoted by righties, costing $200 million a day, a war with no real point other than to benefit the Bushies financially, a war that for some reason righties here have swepted under the rug when bragging about their "fiscal responsibilities".

Classic deflection tactic - when you know you are in the wrong, derail and rant. The Democrat Congress voted on and approved the war, no amount of your propaganda will change that.

-A second inauguration by Bush in 2005, meanwhile his preaching everybody to do their part in his war, in righties war, costing over $200 million a day, with the economy still in a mess at that time, and his spending that amount on his inauguration. Obama is yet to spend close to or above that amount.

Even easier to debunk. Bush did not run on a campaign of "life is horrible and the economy is over" and he presided over some of the biggest boom years since the early 1990s. Barack Obama did the exact opposite, and spent 3x more.

Hypocrisy, you fellas display it with no shame.

Ignorance, a badge you wear proudly.

Im done here... I leave the venom dripping conservative clan to continue partisan bickering... seriously... I feel as though you fellas have become the group of ATS grumpy conservatives.

Aww, poor you. Please do go away - there are other Obama propaganda shills in the wings waiting to replace you. You aren't special.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Yep, yet again the presence of the Democrat Party's official Representative to ATS - Benevolent Heretic - shows that we are on to something.

Perhaps you would rather spend hundreds of millions on worshiping your King and Lord Messiah, but I would rather that money be spent on our troops.

Maybe thats the change Barry was talking about? A change from a Presidency to a monarchy?

[edit on 17-1-2009 by LowLevelMason]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'm not an Obama basher and I pray he does a great job for us. As I thought about this though, I had a hard time seeing the difference between this and the lavish parties thrown by the recipients of the "Bailout Money".

I would be more comfortable with it if the entire cost were paid for or reimbursed by private donation. If he has a hundred million coming in private donations, why on earth could he possibly need the fifty from us?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Fact: This is an historic moment and it would still be AS an historic moment without spending 150 million dollars.

It does not matter how much was spent in other ceremonies because it IS WRONG REGARDLESS.

Finger pointing is a waste of time. It doesn't change the fact that it is wrong...no matter if it's democrats or republicans. They both do absolutely idiotic things...yet people defend them.

Why does everyone seem to feel the need to justify STUPID things their party does? Wrong is wrong.

Our spending at war is ridiculous...it is WRONG. Everything they have been doing lately has been wrong.

In fact...Dem/Rep are both wrong...all the time.

Blinded political party bias...so many have it. You bound yourself to it. I don't know why...you aren't helping yourself by doing it...only hurting.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by LowLevelMason
More propaganda - your so stepped in your own sewage you can't even see the truth right in front of you.

Southern, did you step in your own sewage?

Classic deflection tactic - when you know you are in the wrong, derail and rant.

Spoken like a pro! The way you derail and rant against other members as "shills" is clearly a deflection technique.
Thanks for the demonstration.

I love it when you make the thread about me.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
They are expecting over 2 million people in attendance for the inauguration right?

Simple solution, charge the 2 million people $75 each... Problem solved!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   

reply to post by jerico65

When you have 8 years of blatantly obvious lies and government mishandling on this great nation,

Deny ignorance.

Last 8 years, last 8 years, last 8 years WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH

That seems to be the only consistent thing you're capable of saying, SG. Let me remind you that aside from the war, the economy was fine up until 2008 when the housing bubble that CLINTON, not Bush, created finally burst and started the chain reaction that is the financial mess that we have now.

I even showed you two examples of Associated Press articles where in 2005 $40 million spent on an inauguration was "in poor taste" and in 2009 it's "forget the economy go for glitz". You cannot ignore the double standard, nor the hypocracy, no matter how many times you croon "LAST 8 YEARS LAST 8 YEARS". Don't worry, people will continue to pull your string so they can hear you say it over and over again. That's what a doll-puppet is good for.

Oh and BH, rationalizing $150 million as the cost of an inauguration as something that is sorely needed for everyone is one of the most IDIOTIC statements I've ever seen you make on this board, hands down. Yes, IDIOTIC!

NOOOO let's not consider that kind of money as a start for boosting the economy by handing back money to the taxpayers, or giving that money to charities or boost unemployment coffers, or even education or by golly how about even improvement of infrastructure? NOOOO let's take $110 million more than was spent in 2005 "because it is sorely needed" and throw it away on a party that will be long since forgotten inside of a month. The temperature in DC may be well below freezing and the homeless may be dying out on the DC streets by the truckload, but not to worry, the Obama family will still perform under a sparkle of lights and a shower of red, white and blue fireworks. Maybe some of those homeless will get a chance to see those fireworks right before they slip into unconciousness of hypothermia and say "how pretty". And then die.

I thought just the act of electing your "messiah" was what your kind "sorely" needed in this country, not some gosh-awful glamour-and lights free-for-all that reassures you that you've done the right thing and gives you yet another reason to celebrate your own brand of hate, toward George W. Bush and his administration.

Congratulations. If this is truly how you Obama supporters feel, then in my eyes you've all just brought yourselves down below the level of our worthless Senators and Representatives and those who would defraud our nation for their own gain. You seek to justify anything and everything to do with the messiah because he represents "your" best interest, which you ignorantly believe MUST be the majority of the country's best interests. And you disgust me!

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join