It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I've just been made redundant 3 weeks ago so trying to save money where we can, ie eating out has stopped and we're trying to save as much as we can round the house, turning off the lights and stuff but I'm sure we'll be feeling the pinch sooner rather than later. The bummer about my job was that they didn't go bust, they decided to send the work to India.
I want a new job soon so I can go back to spend, spend, spend.

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
stopped watching fox news, that's about it.

the economy has never really phased me very much to be honest.
money is just means to an end, IE: i use money, the means. to get what I need or want, the ends.
I'm not legally able to drive due to vision problems, so i don't spend on gas.
I don't use, have, or need credit cards.
I don't use banks.
I tend to barter or trade alot more often, and really only use cash for trips (wich i still take) or movies (wich i still watch)

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I myself have stopped drinking less beer. Accually, I have been trying the lesser known brands and guess what--------same bang less buck!!!!

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Getting out of bed.

Okay. I was just kidding.

I stopped middle shopping.

I live in the woods so I do my serious shopping once a month but would stop off at the store on my way home from work sometimes to check out a sale or to pick up something that I may have been low on.

Now what I get on the monthly run is what I have until the next month. No more middle shopping.

I was going to cut out my monthly hair cut but the girl that cuts my hair needs money too so I will keep getting the monthly trim.

Same with my fruits and vegetables.

I still buy local when I can even if the cost is a little more.

I have also noticed that some of the big chain grocery stores have added a section were they are selling home growns.

That is a real smart move because the home growers can not always sell all their produce before it goes bad so this helps us all win.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'll tell you what i *am* still doing.....
Lighting blunts and drinking beer.
Copacetic & keeping it real.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I have not really stopped doing anything, but have changed a few things

1. got library cards for the whole family. Stopped going to Borders. Also got an electronic book. There are thousands of free books available for download.

2. exclusively use cash for purchases when ever possible

3. shop for food every day. You would be very surprised how much you will save by doing that. You eat all of your left-overs. You get smarter about how much to cook. Not nearly as many snacks. On top of it, you buy what you feel like eating rather than see what you have that you can eat. We have a 6 person family and estimate saving 15 to 20% on food and are eating healthier.

4. play more games as a family rather than go to the movies or bowling.
That has been good for the family as well

Nothing that we're missing and really just doing the same things a bit differently

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join