It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
well for me i have almost doubled my spending, i eat out maybe 3 or 4 times week, just bought new car, the economy has not affected me at all except for making me spend more.

now is the time for deals busniess are hurting so if you have cash they make deals

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Bathing, showering, eating, sleeping, having marital uh-huh, and cleaning the house. Joking/Kidding above.

Serously though, I have spent MORE as I already lived frugally. I am spending more getting all optical, dental and medical tests up-to-date in case the economy flops and we lose health insurance.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nothing....I still do all the things I did do. I shop, fill my truck up with gas, run and work out, go to work, drink at my local bar, play in my band....etc.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Nothin. In fact im probably spending more after getting 2 raises in the last 6 months. I know some people are really effected but where i live you would never know anything is going on.

Originally posted by ravenshadow13
I was just thinking of some things I haven't done since before the fall because of the economy, feel free to add to my list! Most of these things I haven't done because I've been cutting back money-

- Gone to a museum
- Gone to Friendly's just for a banana split
- Bought Starbucks more than once a week (right now it's once every two-three weeks)
- Bought a CD or movie
- Gone to an amusement park
- Driven around aimlessly
- Gone to an antiques store
- Until yesterday I hadn't gone to Borders to buy a book since early fall
- Gone to a concert or play
- Gone to the movies

I'll probably edit to add more. What about you guys?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I for one have stopped going to Barnes and Noble and buying books and magazines along with a drink from the cafe inside. Now, my sister and I go to our local library, get a reserve room (you know where you can have your own little room and be able to talk with one another without disturbing others) and sit in there, read our magazines, browse through books and head home to make pop corn and have a coke.
Sounds kind of lame, but things are just too tight these days. Also have been trying new recipies instead of eating out on Saturday nights. There have been some good meals and some not so good ones, but there is just something about being in the comfort of your own home!

Another good idea, get some dominos and play a round or two or scrabble or even charades or pictionary instead of spending money on a movie. Its more fun to talk to friends/family and bake something sweet and hang out.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

That's a really good plan!
A+ for thinking ahead.

I'm also wondering if more people have noticed the east to west movement of the crisis in America, or is it just me?

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Believe it or not I've seen this coming 6 years ago so i started early. I lost my job about three + years ago and became disabled and could not find work.
So this changes your world in short order.....can't pay debt.....credit rating goes south.....no one will help or care so you have to take the bull by the horns.
Sold or tossed out all the extras....first the wife went.....that saved a LOT of money....
Sold the house....no boats...or motorcycles.....
If I could not carry it by myself, it was gone.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

I'm also wondering if more people have noticed the east to west movement of the crisis in America, or is it just me?

I have noticed a north to south movement. We're not "as" affected here in the south - though - the word on all levels (individual to corporate) is "we're next".

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I stopped having time off on weekends. I now work 7 days a week, about 8-12 hours a day.

It blows.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

It sounds like it! You must be exhausted!
*hug*

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:13 PM
link   
not greatly affected (yet) we have cut back on eating out and entertainment.our two teens both work so they are pretty self sufficient.our youngest daughter was told that for now at least dont ask for the latest phone or gadget.we are trying to eliminate waste in general.g we probably should have done all along anyway.so basically we stay home and entertain ourselves.om on the huge plus side i am having L0000TS more sex.also i am on a new 4 day a week schedule modays thru thursdays 11 hours a day,and i love it .i can actually have a day to take care of necessities around home and have two days for whatever.this downturn has been a positive so far for me .but im not ignorant of the fact that some are truly hurting right now and they are in my thoughts and prayers. the area in which i live has historically had a very strong local economy so we are not as bad off as some. all we can do is enjo our families and love one another and help someone whenever we can

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
i find that i have been largely unaffected by the 'crisis' because, well, i never spent much to begin with.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
i've curbed my week;y habit of riding up to haight street to amoeba records and buying 7 to 10 cd's a week and blowing another $60 at murio's bar next door.

now i ride up to haight st., and buy 1 cd, then maybe a few vinyl records that are used and in good condition. last week i got 7 albums for about $15 bucks and they sound great!

i've also curbed some other "niceties" that i won't go into, BUT i still buy the beer and tequila of my choice.

what i need to work on is food budget when i travel - which is every week... living out of hotels sucks the food budget hard. so easy to go to expensive restaurants...

good thing gas has gone down though, that helps a lot.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I am actually planning to buy/lease Hyundai Genesis !

upload.wikimedia.org...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I made a decision in my teens to never own a car or get a license.I get around just fine and am very healthy for it.
I have the type of racing bike they use like in the tour de france.I have done 85kms trips or 170kms there and back.
When I look at the list of things in your op,theres not a single thing on that list that I do and need to cut back on.
I am fortunate enough to be simple and lucky enough to realize it.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
We drive one car, I walk everywhere less than five miles from my home, I sectioned off my home with blankets and only heat the living area...I heat my home with my firewood, I forage and cut my own wood, I hang my clothes to dry, I don't eat unless I'm at home and I don't eat until I am HUNGRY, we wear our clothes until they are dirty...NOT just wrinkled, I hand was dishes and do not buy disposable stuff like paper plates...we use coffee filters for napkins AND toilet paper when we run out, we compost, garden in the spring and summer and are buying rabbits this year for our meat (TEN weeks until they are DINNER),my dogs eat our scraps, not canned food (they still get dry food) I use candles or oil lamps (when I have them) and we don't leave things running that are not in use. Cable will be off when this month is up, listen to the radio for our news already and ride a motorcycle when it is just us and not the kids when weather permits. Our themostat is set at 58 and stays there. I live in Michigan and it was -15 yesterday. Chopping wood can really heat you up and if you feel cold in our house you put on more clothes or go outside for a while...then the house feels great! It isn't that bad either.

TO DRUMSRFUN: I love your last line...live simple and lucky enough to realize it. I can say I do feel sorry for those folks who don't.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by jesspassinthru]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I've cut back on my ammo purchases, but I think I have plenty, anyway.

But I have bought a couple of new toys to use the ammo with.

[edit on 1/17/2009 by loki41872]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I cant afford to smoke weed anymore. Its a sad day in America when I cant even buy a 20 sack.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
One of the things that I used to do a lot of before I lost my job was home brewing. I just cant do it nearly as much as I used to. Its too bad too, I was just getting my recipes really dialed in. Now I only brew about once every 2 months or so. My beer geek friends are very bummed.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join