It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Have You Stopped Doing Since The Economy Got Really Bad?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Ive stopped drinking, doing recreational substances and Im stopping smoking as I cant really afford to spend money on consumables that I dont really need. I also sold most of my DVD collection and cd collection + all the other 'stuff' I dont use or need anymore. Got quite a bit of money for them and my 'snail shell' is alot lighter. So all in all it all been a good experience. Ive even started saving money.

All this was due to loosing my job and realising the real worth of money. Funny you only realise that when you dont have any.

Well thats all changed now as Ive just landed myself a new job with more money. This time Im making myself debt free and not fill my life with junk again.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It's simple buying and drivingbilderberg

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
Well, one thing I cut back on is worrying. Now that global consumption of Earths limited resources is on the decline, I don't worry so much about the fate of our planet and ecology. I mean, I still worry, but not quite as much as before.

This economic crash is like a wish come true for me. Once the economy has totally crashed, we can start working on population cutbacks next.

I am glad you are no longer worrying. When these folks begin starving and decide that they want what you have, I will take great pleasure in knowing you don't care. But like you said, population cutbacks will come.

Oh, and don't worry, I cut down plenty of trees with my gas hog chainsaw just for you today. Hopefully the smoke I create using my wood stove will increase my carbon output ten-fold.

Be careful, the misery you wish upon others just may come to get you as well!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
My wife and I went into "Save mode," the moment gas went over 4$ a gallon. This was especially bad because both of our cars require premium fuel. They steps we've taken to save?

-I carpool 3 days out of my 4 day work week. It's saved us a fortune and reduces the headache brought on by my megacommute.

-We dont go out to eat. We go to the store and BUY the meal and make it ourselves. It's cheaper to do this anyways and is much more fun.

-Miller high Life. Much cheaper and suprisingly tastier than premium brews.

-Canceled our home phone/landline. Other than telemarketers, wtf calls it anyways? This saved us 40 dollars a month and i'm an idiot for not thinking of it sooner.

-I'm a recoving packrat. We've made over a grand selling crap on Ebay. This goes into savings.

-We TRADE old videogames and movies for new or used ones. This has saved us more money than anything I can think of.

-Instead of going to the movies, we stream the 8.99 a month netflix to our TV.

-I simply do not buy food while at work anymore. No chinese, no fast food, nothing. I'll bring Healthy choice and a refilled bottle of water. My waist thanks me and 20 bucks is a whole work week of food for me.

-I quit smoking. This puts a great deal of money back in your pocket. I've also heard that it can extend your life and make you healthier! (I'm being sarcastic, I really do miss smoking and I do feel better for quitting).

-USED book stores are the best. They are also less intimidating and crowded than your local borders.

-NO Starbucks. EVER. Not only is it overrated, it's always crowded and depressing. Dunkin Donuts is 3 dollars cheeper and 100000x's better.

-My wife has switched from Premium fuel to Mid-grade. Then she adds octane booster to fill the void. It's not much, but anything helps.

I pray i'm not the only one that thinks this, but I find the high gas prices and the economic hard times as a chance to remember the things that really matter.... Friends and Family! We've spent more time together in the past year than we have in 5 years of being together. Sharing a bottle of wine and talking all night with my wife was something that seemed pretty uneventful a couple years ago. Now it's one of the highlights of my life.

I guess I can some good out of all of this.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tigermoff
Ive stopped drinking, doing recreational substances and Im stopping smoking as I cant really afford to spend money on consumables that I dont really need. I also sold most of my DVD collection and cd collection + all the other 'stuff' I dont use or need anymore. Got quite a bit of money for them and my 'snail shell' is alot lighter. So all in all it all been a good experience. Ive even started saving money.

All this was due to loosing my job and realising the real worth of money. Funny you only realise that when you dont have any.

Well thats all changed now as Ive just landed myself a new job with more money. This time Im making myself debt free and not fill my life with junk again.

good job amigo!
one thing you can do to rescue part of your "life" is to convert your cd's to mp3, and get a 320 or 500 meg hard drive to put your music on. (they are super cheap now) it saves part of your culture and soul to have your music and you don't have to haul it around during moves. (physical cd's and albums). and it's all on a small portable medium. "passport" drives can be had for $50 bucks now.

it's the small things in life that make life worth living. congrats on your new job. good to hear in this time of worsening economy.

[edit on 1/17/2009 by zooplancton]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I know of people who are purchasing foreclosed property, an SUV, and going on a world cruise.

They've had enough of me and my talk of a major depression occuring. They just laugh. I don't know at this point I just tell them have a nice trip.

I just don't know what to tell them when they show up asking for food?

I feel its going to get really difficult and want people I know to be prepared so they don't show up asking for food.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by redseal

Transocean is looking for electricians for several offshore rigs they are building. I also heard manson gulf is building a new barge and will be needing to hire a whole new crew. You will work a schedule which means you will be away from your family but the best part about it is You don't have to live where You work ....

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:44 PM
link   
i had to cut back on my credit cards. now i'm only paying minimum amount instead of full balance. that should save some money

i'll probably get a hybrid this year. the $15K over the price of a normal car should pay for the gas price increases over the next 30 years
and those toxic batteries should show those treehuggers!

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
what have i cut back on or stopped doing?

With the exception of worrying about the economy, pretty much not a darn thing. I spend conservatively, I save where I can, and spend where its prudent.

Where do we commonly shoot ourselves in the foot? We go out and buy the cheapest version of something possible thinking hat we're saving money. many times we have to keep repairing or replacing this item over and over. Buy the best quality item you can, it costs less in the long run. just remember, bling =/= quality

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Nothing really I don't think. I have saved more money, but that has nothing to do with the economy. Business is good (own our own company), we are about to buy a house this summer, we are debt free and doing well. My spending has not changed one bit.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Eating out which is something i ever did often to begin with.I stay at home more and don't use the candy machine as much at work.I only got a 25 cent cost of living increase.If I was a congressman I would not have to cut back nearly as much as I have.With gas getting cheaper and working saturdays I have been able to save a little money again like I used to when my money stretched further.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My business seems to be doing better and better
I'm about to employ more people

I did do the cautious thing initially and settle down on spending, and that lead me to signing up on ATS instead of just reading posts for the last 5 years! So there you have it...hopefully ATS membership will increase and the worlds prosperity decreases 'cause it sure is an interesting pastime hanging with you guys

Its important to spend to avoid recession (sorry to Europe and US who are in it already) Australia gave lots of its citizens 4K each to spend up to try and stave it off, so I'm reverting to spending to keep money in circulation.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Speaking for experience and depending where you live - try to keep the car as long as you can. I've been totally reliant on public transportation for six years and it is virtually impossible to get even a part-time job because they want you to work 'til midnight and the buses to my apartment stop running at 10 pm.
I live in a large western city and it's totally car reliant. I was out today and suddenly all the big SUVs are back on the road big time. I think it's the cheaper gas and as a friend opined, they can't sell them right now as there's no market.
But dude, hang on to your car - just drive it less.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I (and my family) actually made significant changes three years ago. We moved from S. Jersey to the Poconos in PA, down-scaled, became much more self-reliant, purchased a house outright and began spending "family" time with the family (two daughters, three dogs, three cats) instead of watching so much TV and playing video games.

With the failing economy, we really haven't changed much else. We executed our changes not because of a fear of an economy change, but for health and family. I spent far too many years "keeping up with the Jones'" only to feel empty at the end of the week.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
1) Moved out of my own place and in with a roommate to cut rent and bill expenses
2) Stopped traveling and driving (although gas is affordable now, I just got out of the habit
3) Cook at home more, went vegan to cut out dairy expenses

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
erm, only thing ive really stoped doing is working. Coz i lost my job in April 08 and havnt been able to get a full time one since..

i did just wanna say "working" but that be a 1 liner

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Well. um .. lets see

Entertaiment. reduced about 95% everyone is cutting here . looks like everyone on ats is cutting in this department. The hollywood stars will for sure be taking paycuts this year.

Food. making more dinners at home, but prices going up. it does not matter if your eating out or in you will still pay about the same price at least it looks that way to me.

ordering on line and increased. did all christmas shopping on QVC and Amazon. saved a alot too. car parts spares are next on my list.

Thrift stores have good bargins. been seeing lot's of new items clothing etc, showing up and buying them. I think this stuff is from failed stores. wife loves it. wife said she is always going visit the thrift store first before going to a retail store.

Cut back on driving big time.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Not from the USA, but still preparing in the way that I've been paying of my credit card, stop buying electronic gadgets
. And basically are saving instead of spending. Not much, but I think Europe will have a few weeks/months after the SHTF in the USofA.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Hey, I think you missed my post.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
My financial situation has improved dramatically since the crash, so actually I'm able to do more things since the economy went south than I have been able to do for more than a year before.

I was initially eager to share my good fortune with others, but I quickly realized that it really wasn't what others wanted to hear, so I just keep quiet about it.

I am not an ostentatious person, anyway.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join