It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Hole Question

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Okay...

I understand a "black hole" is a place in space that is so dense that not even light can escape it.

But, from what I have understood -- matter/energy (interchangable) cannot be be destroyed...

What becomes of "mater" or "energy" that seems to "disappear" into a black hole? It cannot be possibly destroyed forever...?

All TV shows and popular literature never address this fact -- the question of "what becomes of the energy/matter a black hole consumes?" Where does it go?

I do not understand. I have hear of theoretical "white holes" -- but these to my knowledge have yet to be "proven" as much as "black holes".

How can matter/energy just "cease to exist" in a black hole?

Can someone tell me what becomes of what is sucked into a black hole -- or what is THEORIZED to become of said matter/energy?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Well i know if a human were to find himself/herself in a blackhole, they would be torn and squeezed at discepating into halfs continously until the person is mere atoms.

But atoms are still matter so i dont know. sorry.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Here is what I found on the subject. Seems that no one knows for sure.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by leisuredrummer]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
well from what i know, a black hole has such a strong gravitational pull that light can't escape. So where does the matter and energy go? Nowhere, it just adds to the mass of the black hole making it stronger theoretically. It looks like it disappears but that is only because light can't escape.

The point however is that we really don't know a whole lot about black holes. Some say they are connected to white holes, some say not. Black holes were only "discovered" when a mathematical formula for matter in the universe came out x/0. Dark matter was "found" along the same lines, balancing the equation. We really don't know enough about em though.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Are they still theoretical ? or has somebody proven that they are for sure there.?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:07 AM
link   
it's kinda like the theory of evolution which is about as proven as it can get but yet it remains a theory. dark matter and black holes are pretty much proven to exist, but their characteristics and properties are nowhere near proven.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:16 AM
link   
oo interesting i might have to do some research on the matter.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   
To the technically minded Google "Nassim Haremein Black hole" and you'll see some of his explanations. He is very technical, as an engineer I get most of what he's saying.

As I understand it, black holes are constantly expanding so that could account for where the energy goes as long as there are "things" for it to consume.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   
its called the Hawkings paradox

hawkins said balckholes destroyed infromation of matter and energy from the universe which is contruary to thermodynamics

others argued and showed with maths it retains the information(and stretches it around the event horizion so it appears lost) and the energy (it converts the matter to energy) is compressed

after 30'ish years hawkings realised he was wrong but says it involves mutli'verses and becasue not all will have a black hole at that point information is lost in some but saved in others so it all balances out

the problem is you cant go into a black hole to find out, once past the event horizon if the maths is right nothing gets out so you could never let anyone know whats hapening once you went in

[edit on 14/1/09 by noobfun]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
What if their are no black holes at the center of universes..... what if its formation and design all have to do with the corolus effect. With the differnt plasma densitys and all.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by salty-red
it's kinda like the theory of evolution which is about as proven as it can get but yet it remains a theory.

scientific theory is as proven as its possible to get (remember its a scientific theory not an american slang theory which just means an idea which would be an hypothesis in science), evolution can never become law becasue it deals with more then 1 process, natural selection, random mutation, genetic drift, divergance etc

the laws of gravity only deal with gravity and how it effects everything, thermodynamics only deals with thermodynamics and how it deals with everything, which is why they are laws they only deal with one process

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It is not true that nothing can escape a black hole. If gravity is treated as a wave, then gravity does escape real time from a black hole and affects objects around, a result that has been observed and measured

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
But like others have said a black hole is just a black hole. Until we can send something into it and be able to get any info back about what's happening to the object we just assume it is a mysterious thing that sucks everything into it due to gavity etc.

Heck in all reality for all we know it could be a type of planet with massive amounts of gravity, some speculated a worm hole, etc.

Right now in history there is no real way to know what it is exactly until we can physically send something there and get measurements. Or we accidentally create one which could be really bad.

I'm pretty confident in my life time nothing new will ever be discovered concerning black holes. Look how long it takes us just to send another manned mission to the moon much less something to seek out a black hole for study. Not to mention the amount of time it would take for the so called object to not only get there but for us to receive data transmitted back.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:55 AM
link   
I dont think theres a black hole at the center of universes. I think its the dynamics of thermo something or other.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

What becomes of the energy you ask, I'm not a quantum physicist but I've heard enough of them speak to ramble off my version of what they say... which is this...

The matter of a blackhole builds, don't think of a blackhole as an invisible pocket hiding matter, it's not different than a sun, you just can't see it, so a bunch of black suns and regular suns react to eachother, they eat eachother up based on distance and the gravity pull until eventually millions of stars are eaten up and the once tiny blackhole formed from supposedly a single star now is the size of a super blackhole capable of being a tack in the center of a galaxy such as ours, when out galaxy collides with another galaxy an ultra mega blackhole may be created, perhaps this spiral effect is the big crunch physicists talk about, but I personally don't buy the big crunch, because for a big crunch to exist the universe has to be finite, and I believe the universe is infinite, perhpas ultra mega gigantic super mega galaxies will be formed but new stars are formed all the time as well, and although physicists commonly say the universe will 'die', I don't buy that, energy/matter never disappears, it may only appear to do so.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by MystikMushroom

Hawking's newest theory states that something dubbed "Hawking Radiation" is the answer to this paradox. Essentially, over long periods of time, some matter escapes from black holes in the form of neutrinos. The massive amounts of energy and mass contained within a black hole don't destroy matter OR energy, but break them down into thier smallest and most basic forms.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Here's the most compelling evidence on ejection i recall hearing years ago, in my opinion. I could be remembering this incorrectly. The video was on Discovery channel. I could not find any source from google or Discovery's website.

Astronomers used an orbiting telescope either to find distant objects, or because they got a super strong near-infrared radio burst. Measuring the redshift, they determined that the signal was coming from the farthest reaches of the visible universe. The redshift of radio emissions from space is like a doppler effect. They originally thought the burst was from the supernovae explosion of a star but concluded this was impossible because observable energy from an object that far away would require a supernovae from a star the size of our galaxy or something like that. Then they theorized that what they were observing was the jet of a then active supermassive black hole, pointed straight at our planet. Then they found hundreds or thousands of signatures at this distance and said those HAD to be black holes. They also said that if the jet of the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy, or the nearest neighboring galaxy, was active and pointed straight at our planet, it would boil the oceans (or destroy the earth).

But theres also no limit to how much mass it holds on to.

And don't hold on to thermodynamics like its fact. It's old and we don't understand enough about quantum physics etc... Einstein is overrated.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by GlassRunner]

[edit on 14-1-2009 by GlassRunner]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by sunny_2008ny
It is not true that nothing can escape a black hole. If gravity is treated as a wave, then gravity does escape real time from a black hole and affects objects around, a result that has been observed and measured

isnt gravity generated by the mass of the hole?, rather then as somthing escaping it?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What if galaxys are just large hurricanes? With the differning pressures in the plasma fueling its motion?

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
A Black Hole is like a White Dwarf but bigger and badder.
A Nobel Prise winner explained and describes the White Dwarf
as still having an electron gas.
I'm not that familiar with other such detailed work yet what is
left over from super nova may still be a Dwarf Star of some kind.
Black Holes are sought for a galactic centers and clouded radiation
areas of the universe.
Supposed tell tail signs of the Black Holes are being ascribed to
giant electric currents and galactic plasma motors.
All the rest about Black Holes might be vapor theories.
Black Holes might still be a maybe.

<<   2 >>

join