It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Sex Offenders Now Tracked By GPS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   

California Sex Offenders Now Tracked By GPS

cbs5.com

Thousands of sex offenders on parole in California are now being tracked by GPS devices, at a high price to taxpayers.

Outfitting nearly 7,000 sex offender parolees cost the state nearly $10 million, and the 24 hours a day, seven days a week tracking is costing another $14.5 million per year – that comes out to $6 per parolee, per day. Compare that to prisoners, each of whom costs taxpayers $96 a day behind bars.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This is an interesting article. I personally feel that sex offenders are scum, but does this violate their right to privacy? Do they forfeit that right with their conviction of such a heinous act?

The tax burden is heavy, but I believe that many won't mind their tax dollars being spent this way.

There has been talk of implementing this for known gang members as well. Where do we draw the line? In theory, it would be great to know where every convicted violent offender is, but how much tax money are we willing to use and, more importantly, are we violating these citizens' rights (especially those that have truly changed)?

Some fear that this could be a precursor to the tagging of regular law abiding citizens. Some fear that this could be used to tag "people of interest", whatever the hell that means.

Thoughts?

cbs5.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Funny thing is that many will applaud this act in the name of safety. Then, people with DWI will be monitored, then the People with misdemeanors, until finally everybody is being monitored via GPS. I do feel that these people are scum, but I don't know if I agree with them being monitored with GPS. Sooner or later, Politicians will try to apply the same technology to a wider audience all in the name of safety.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
the people who are going to be chipped first are either sex offenders or people with alzheimers, I thought previously alzheimers was more likely to be the first trackable special population before we all become special population...other likely prequels are teenagers, mental patients, parolees/ex-cons, illegal immigrants...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Question:

If we can't trust these people to roam our streets, why in the hell are they not in prison? If you are going to release them from prison, or what have you, why are you still treating them as Felons?

Either put them in prison, or LEAVE THEM THE *snip* ALONE! If they do something else while on the streets, put them away for life. How is that a difficult concept to understand?

*Mod Edit - Removed censor circumvention.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by alien]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawz1
This is an interesting article. I personally feel that sex offenders are scum, but does this violate their right to privacy?

It is an invasion of privacy!

If the sex offender has been released from prison, then that means the state feels that they are no longer a danger to society!

Here's a thread that's also breaking news where children's wristwatch GPS locators are being marketed for their 'safety'.

ANY form of GPS monitoring is a breach of privacy.

The NWO start by saying that children will be safer, when monitored. Then, they'll say that we better monitor the sex-offenders, few will object. Then it will be monitoring convicted murders, etc after they are released. Naturally terrorists and gang leaders will need monitoring, as they cause unrest in the community. Similarly, burglars will need to be watched. After that, repeated drunk drivers will need monitoring to see if they are driving, or not. Anyone who dares question their parking ticket will need monitoring. Finally, anyone who is born human will also need to be monitored, not only for their own safety, but to prevent against the crimes that they are going to commit.

RESIST THIS NOW!

[edit on 13-1-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
GPS trackers in prisoners, GPS watches straped to kids. All for safety. The government is making all of us safer. Next we get gang members, then people who work in "important" or "high risk" fields in case they are kidnapped. Just a matter of time before they try to chip us all.

But its for safety, so its okay.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Ya know, if they are going to do this, at least do what they do in florid. Make the people pay for it themselves, not the taxpayers. That's why prisoners in florida are given a bill when they leave prison. Not a fan of tracking ANYONE, simply because it is a slippery slope to tracking all of us. So no, don't track kiddie screwers.

Before anyone jumps down my throat with the same old "well if it was your kid" crap, remember this. Take away one person's rights, you ca take away everyone's rights. This is why we need to protect the basi rights of EVERYONE

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Finn1916

Convicted felons have no rights, nor should they.

That said, at some point the economics of the situation must be weighed against the alternatives. A simple bullet to the head of repeat offenders saves our tax dollars and effectively protects the population.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Hey now you don't have to buy all that fancy GPS gear for your teenagers just let them get caught sending photos of themselves to their friends cellphones and the government will track them for you.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yeah sex offenders, like those who stopped by an highway to pee? Or those who were 18 years old and had sex with their 17 years old girfriend? That kind of stuff?

First, they tracked the jews, then they tracked the sex offenders, then everyone was tracked.

Convicted felons have no rights, nor should they.

It's funny that you say that, when they are recruited in the army and the police or even are in congress and the senate.
Or receive taxpayers money with bailouts. And soon, with all the new laws, everyone will be a felon. Don't lick your police officer boots when he asked you to? You're now a felon! Enjoy your tracking chip.

Or you live in Reno and you lost your home due to the crisis? You're now sleeping in your car because you have nowhere else to go? You're arrested and now a felon, enjoy.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Don't forget babies , you have to put chips in your babies at birth. I mean what if someone steals them!?! Do you want YOUR baby to be stolen!?! Better get him chipped. RFIDS for EVERYONE!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
ATS' imagination running wild again.

Mention something about sex offenders being tracked, and you end up with people professing that newborns will be next.

With ATS, it always ends up with newborns NO MATTER WHAT is being tracked.

Start a thread about cardboard boxes being tracked on the way to the grocery store, and you'll get reply after reply from people saying that "this is just the beginning! I'll fight to the death for my liberty!"

I bet this type of slippery-slope attitude dominates some members lives here:

Wife: "Honey, do you want to watch a movie tonight?"

ATS: "Whats next?! YOU WANT TO MAKE A MOVIE!?? YOU WANT TO BUY A MOVIE STUDIO!? YOU WHORE, GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!! I NEVER TRUSTED YOU!"

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by logician magician

Mention something about sex offenders being tracked, and you end up with people professing that newborns will be next.

With ATS, it always ends up with newborns NO MATTER WHAT is being tracked.

Start a thread about cardboard boxes being tracked on the way to the grocery store, and you'll get reply after reply from people saying that "this is just the beginning! I'll fight to the death for my liberty!"

I bet this type of slippery-slope attitude dominates some members lives here:

Wife: "Honey, do you want to watch a movie tonight?"

ATS: "Whats next?! YOU WANT TO MAKE A MOVIE!?? YOU WANT TO BUY A MOVIE STUDIO!? YOU WHORE, GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!! I NEVER TRUSTED YOU!"

Are you really that dense?... why do you think "sex offenders" are the test for it?... because they are universally hated , even in prison. I don't know but maybe MURDERERS would be the 1st logical choice... But You're the Logician Magician so maybe YOU can fill me in.

People don't care about sex offenders and people like yourself can't see where this is going so they say YEAH!!! tag em. Then It goes to Murderers , and then Drug offenders and then the guy that got the DUI and then the guy that smoked under the no smoking sign.

Things such as this are instituted in steps. (to test the water) and then eventually... and it will happen (under the guise of public safety no doubt) It will trickle down to you and I. Well maybe you...

What you don't understand is once a right is given up... IT'S GONE!!! there is no going back. I simply don't believe the government has a right to track its citizens by gps (does that make me crazy?). Take the label "sex offender" off and thats what you have. The government tracking it's people by gps.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
We have GPS in dogs, now criminals, also as a safety device marketing to parents for their childrens well being.

We are forced to wear seat belts and helmets on bikes for our safety.

Fast food joints are constantly sued because their food isnt healthy, therefore unsafe, same goes for the tobacco industry.

Campaigns against guns because someone might get hurt, mandatory trigger locks because a careless child could grab it.

A man sued McDonalds over coffee that was too hot and won because it wasnt safe to sell it hot without a warning.

As evidenced by everything I purchase, something in it is known to the State of California to cause cancer, again, its not safe for us.

A report some years back suggested all foodstuffs be sold pre-cooked because undercooking can cause health problems, which of course isnt safe.

Cameras everywhere watching us and those around us to keep us safe.

Every day we see ads for products about our safety and how it will protect us from all that is evil in the world, we are bombarded by our governments telling us we are in a constant threat and they are only taking some of our rights and freedoms to make us safe from the bad men out there.

You can believe what you want about this chip in criminals, but how long will it be when they start telling you that for your own safety you too need one, just in case?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 07:00 PM
link   

If only it was in our imaginations...

But, as you can see, in two breaking news threads, tracking people by GPS is happening before our eyes.

It will increase. They will expand the pool of people who need to be tracked.

The only imaginations that run wild, are those who think that this GPS tracking is being introduced for our 'safety'.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by EyesWideShut

Are you really that dense?... why do you think "sex offenders" are the test for it?... because they are universally hated , even in prison. I don't know but maybe MURDERERS would be the 1st logical choice... But You're the Logician Magician so maybe YOU can fill me in.

I can see you're back there in la-la land. Look, murders stay in prison for much longer than sexual offenders - if sexual offenders even goto prison at all.

Sex offenders outnumber murderers by and repeat sexual offenders outnumber serial killers by .

I mean, are you seriously suggesting that we put tracking devices on the least likely to happen dangerous crimes? Out of all major crime in the United States, murder comes in last at an average of 17,000 per year. The next slow up is RAPE (not to include all other sexual crimes) at 90,000 per year.

You see, when someone gets murdered, the idea of justice is transferred to a 3rd party (e.g family). When someone gets sexually assaulted, raped, anally tortured but left alive... well, justice will be served to a living, breathing human being - the one and only, put your hands together... she deserved a big round of applause, ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the 12 year old who got raped.

People don't care about sex offenders and people like yourself can't see where this is going so they say YEAH!!! tag em. Then It goes to Murderers , and then Drug offenders and then the guy that got the DUI and then the guy that smoked under the no smoking sign.

Sure, and then it goes on people who don't wear their seat belts, and then it goes on newborn babies.
Obviously, you know nothing of logic... just like the rest of the "slippery-slope" sycophants around here.

Things such as this are instituted in steps. (to test the water) and then eventually... and it will happen (under the guise of public safety no doubt) It will trickle down to you and I. Well maybe you...

Wow, that's some great insight you have there. Did you learn it when you were on the short bus?

What you don't understand is once a right is given up... IT'S GONE!!! there is no going back.

God forbid that the murderers don't have to give up their right not to be tracked like you suggested earlier.

I simply don't believe the government has a right to track its citizens by gps (does that make me crazy?). Take the label "sex offender" off and thats what you have. The government tracking it's people by gps.

It doesn't matter what you believe as a single person. It matters what the voters of California think who voted to have this implemented.

waiting for, "Oh! The voters never voted on it! It was all a fake vote! None of it was real! just like every other law and election is this country!"

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

If only it was in our imaginations...

But, as you can see, in two breaking news threads, tracking people by GPS is happening before our eyes.

It will increase. They will expand the pool of people who need to be tracked.

The only imaginations that run wild, are those who think that this GPS tracking is being introduced for our 'safety'.

Except for that one is entirely optional, and the other was voted on by the people of California.

Sounds like the government is really trying to take away our freedom and privacy!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Sounds like the government is really trying to take away our freedom and privacy!

Yeah, that's right. Little by little without too many people watching, noticing or resisting.

Pick the easy targets and few people will care. Most people would not defend the rights of a released kiddy-perve.

The only sycophants in this thread are the people who agree with the government and think that it's a good idea to tag human beings like sheep or cattle.

Didn't you know that only aliens are allowed to capture-tag-release humans with their implants?!?!

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

It matters what the voters of California think who voted to have this implemented.

waiting for, "Oh! The voters never voted on it! It was all a fake vote! None of it was real! just like every other law and election is this country!"

To be fair, the GPS issue was just one component of Proposition 83. If you remove this from the prop, I would bet that those that oppose the GPS issue would enthusiastically vote to have this approved. If you stack a Proposition with dozens of good points and one controversial point, most people will vote in its' favor in order to get the dozens of good points implemented.

Here are some of the other elements of the prop that California voters approved by a 70/30 margin back in 2006:

-Increases penalties for violent and habitual sex offenders and child molesters.
-Prohibits registered sex offenders from residing within 2,000 feet of any school or park.
-Expands definition of a sexually violent predator.
-Allow law enforcement to act as decoys to catch internet predators
-Changes current two-year involuntary civil commitment for a sexually violent predator to an indeterminate commitment, subject to annual review by the Director of Mental Health and subsequent ability of sexually violent predator to petition court for sexually violent predator’s conditional release or unconditional discharge.

Proposition 83 - "Jessica's Law"

These are all great ideas which are supported by the vast majority of people. However, I believe if you were to have the GPS issue stand alone, you would not see the 70/30 margin as with Prop. 83.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join