It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Home has been anything but sweet this postseason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Home has been anything but sweet this postseason

www.nfl.com

Super Bowl News

While the home teams looked good on paper and during film study, only the Steelers were capable of defending their turf. Since 2005, home teams went 7-9 in the divisional round. The last time all four home teams won in the divisional round was 2004. You have to wonder if we are witnessing a phenomenon about home-field advantage.

Over the past 11 years, teams were 30-14 coming off a bye at home. But teams were 26-6 coming off a bye at home from 1990 until 1997.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-1-2009 by huckfinn]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I have detected a conspiratorial theme in the annual event called the Super Bowl. It’s as if the teams that participate in the game have a deeper symbolic meaning, with regards to American society. I first thought of this three years ago, when the Pittsburgh Steelers played the Seattle Seahawks.

The theme I detected was that America had come to a cross-roads between the Old and New. Seattle a city well known for Microsoft, Starbucks and liberal politics and Pittsburgh, known as the center of the dying American steel industry. The Steelers victory symbolized America’s re-commitment to the Old over laptops and Skim lattes.

The very next year, the Indianapolis Colts played the Chicago Bears. In this match-up the cities themselves didn’t seem to matter as much as the mascots. The Colts, a young donkey, and the Bear, a hulking land beast. The theme appeared to me as the Rider on the White Horse overcoming the Beast and its Army, a concept made popular in the book of Revelation. MVP Quarterback, Peyton Manning leading his team to victory over the team led by Rex.

Last year, the New York Giants played the New England Patriots. This was another religiously themed showdown, with the Sons of God pitted against the Sons of Man. The game was closely contested with the Giants winning as a result of last second heroics.

The reason I wrote about this theme concept of the super-bowl is because of the unusual potential match-ups and to make a prediction, as theories are worthless without practical applications. This year’s NFC and AFC championship games showcase three teams with birds as mascots, something I don’t ever recall seeing, and the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Eagles and Cardinals play for the NFC championship, while the Steelers and Ravens battle it out for the AFC championship.

The theme I detect for this year seems to be the people versus the powers that be. The Steelers again represent what they represented in the 2006 Super Bowl but also the overall plight and trials of the American worker and the Economy. While the Eagles, a war bird, primarily represents Secular government, the Executive Branch of Government and Corporate Management. The Cardinals, a religious icon, primarily represents the establishment of the Church and Banking and Finance. The Ravens, a carrion eater, primarily represents Death and Judgment.

This weekend the Steelers will face the Ravens. The theme… the worker will be judged. My Prediction is that the worker will be victorious over death. Also, the Eagles face the Cardinals. This game could be so close and I am having difficulty picking a winner. Both Corporate Executives and Bankers let the world down this year in ways that are pretty much unprecedented. If the game is about passing the buck and you gamble on pro football, don’t give away any points, as this game will either be won in the final seconds or in overtime. But if the game is about who screwed the world over the most, the Cardinals will win in a blowout over the Eagles.

I predict that the theme for the Super-bowl will be a showdown of the spirit of man over the physical and material, with the Steelers playing the Cardinals. I predict the Steelers as Super Bowl champions with the low margin of victory, but dominant performance. I feel the Steelers represent the true nature of mankind, a worker who toils without regard to gender or specific line of work, with the Cardinals representing baser elements of our world. Again, not making a comment about the actual organization or State of Arizona.

I really hope I haven’t offended anyone, I know how easy people can fly off the handle. This thread was created to test the idea of the existence of a hidden theme in the Super Bowl contest and the ability to make a prediction based on that theme.

www.nfl.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Go Steelers!

On a separate note... I find it disturbing how much thought you've put into this concept

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think I can explain things to you...

The NFL is suffering right now from the monster known as parity. Unrestricted free agency, teams trying to cut their payrolls as much as possible, salary caps, and a marked lull in consistant talent is making the league into a forum where a team no longer has to go through years of building a program in order to be successfull.

Other factors taken on a case by case basis:

1. The Giants lost because Tom Coughlin isn't a great coach and Eli Manning regressed into old Eli.

2. The Titans lost because they started to slip near the end of the year and ran into a scorching hot Baltimore team.

3. The Panthers lost because Arizona finally, mercifully discovered that they had a good secondary and entered the game with a phenominal gameplan... oh, and Jake Delhomme (French for 'The Man') sucks.

4. The Steelers won because they finally realized near the end of the first half that San Diego is completely unable to stop the two minute drill.

It's football, not the Nixon tapes, not Roswell, not the man on the grassy knoll. Just football.

Edit to add: I bet you have a field day both times the Redskins play the Cowboys every season.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by burdman30ott6]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I used to watch football as a kid, but I can only handle the playoffs these days. That's pretty much for all sports.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Resinveins

Yeah, I wrote it down as soon as I could so its not bouncing around in my head for the next three weeks.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

I'm a sports addict. I also have been known to do some sports betting, so it pays to know what you're betting on as much as possible. While your idea made for an interesting read, I do not believe the league is part of any conspiracy. I do, however, believe that there was an unusual number of bad calls by the refs this year. Though I don't think it was some sinister plot, I definitely think the league needs to get their house in order and send their entire ref squad to school to re-educate them on the rules of football and on how to ref a game.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I was kind of thinking along the lines of the claim that the World Series outcome predicts the winner of the Presidential election or the Super Bowl being an economic indicator.

Dale Gribble, character from King of the Hill, once suggested that the real Super Bowl is played and taped a week before the game on t.v. in the same hanger they faked the moon landing.

I'll wait until after the Super Bowl to determine the quality of my predictive method.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
That worked out well for me.

new topics

top topics

join