It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama urges Congress to postpone Digital television switch

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
RFBurns, I understand what you are saying, completely! But, what I am getting at is not expense, but the fact that, "Big Brother" will "know" what we are watching! That is the point! "F," Big Brother, because I will not relent!

~ Lonelypoet

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Lonelypoet

Its been suggested that the digital change over is for some way for big G-man to be able to monitor or know what we are watching.

But see...they can do that in the analog world as well. Every receiver, tv or radio, has what is called a local oscillator, or "IF" frequency that goes up and down the spectrum depending on which channel or frequency you are tuned to.

By simply using a spectrum analyzer and another receiver, they can "see" what frequency you are tuned to, and even hear or see what you are listening to or watching.

The digital world is just the 1 and 0 version of the analog and their capability of doing the same thing.

In the digital world, it is similar to the internet website "cookie", where your browsing activities are tracked to focus certian advertising and solicitations to your pc or email.

With the tv, especially on cable, its the same analogy. They can know which channels you watch, and focus specific suggestions in the cable box menu for other programs and channels that might interest you. Its really not anything intrusive, just a marketing thing.

The digital system, especially the over the air signals, cant track what your watching effectively. Over the air antennas, especially rabbit ears, cant send out a very good signal simply because receiving antennas are not designed to transmit, tho they can a little. The coverter box would have to have circuits inside that compensate for the huge variable antenna configurations that it would be connected to and would make that converter box jump from 130 bucks a pop to well over several hundred dollars per box. Plus the G-man has far better ways of wanting to know what your up to, simply by receiving your cell phone signals, or your internet activity, or even using IR laser beams bounced off your window to listen to sound in your room, to thermal IR visual sensing to actually see through your walls and roof.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChilledVoodoo
There is no reason the government should be doing this in the first place. The frequencies used now for analog t.v. are here for everyone to enjoy.

Here's a little info on why they are converting TV broadcasting to digital.

Why are we switching to DTV?

An important benefit of the switch to all-digital broadcasting is that it will free up parts of the valuable broadcast spectrum for public safety communications (such as police, fire departments, and rescue squads). Also, some of the spectrum will be auctioned to companies that will be able to provide consumers with more advanced wireless services (such as wireless broadband).

Consumers also benefit because digital broadcasting allows stations to offer improved picture and sound quality, and digital is much more efficient than analog. For example, rather than being limited to providing one analog program, a broadcaster is able to offer a super sharp “high definition” (HD) digital program or multiple “standard definition” (SD) digital programs simultaneously through a process called “multicasting.” Multicasting allows broadcast stations to offer several channels of digital programming at the same time, using the same amount of spectrum required for one analog program. So, for example, while a station broadcasting in analog on channel 7 is only able to offer viewers one program, a station broadcasting in digital on channel 7 can offer viewers one digital program on channel 7-1, a second digital program on channel 7-2, a third digital program on channel 7-3, and so on. This means more programming choices for viewers.

I already got a converter box and there are a lot more channels being broadcasted in digital than there are anolog. Used to get about five channels, now I get anywhere from 14 to 30!

The picture comes in waayyy clearer than it used to also.

DTV is the way to go, but in these economically trying times, I think it would be wrong to just shut analog broadcasting off right now when some people, who's only entertainment might be TV, won't be able to afford the converter box.

[edit on 1/9/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by kidney thief

That is the whole idea. Right now if you want to put a transmitter and broadcast from your basement you could do it as long as you did not interfere with the major bands. Someone with the right antenna could pick up your signal and watch your show. It would more than likely be only available locally and the reception would be a bit faint and sporadic but you would be able to be seen and heard. Don’t ask me for the details on how this works because I am not that smart. I just know for a time a lot of teenagers were doing this. This would become illegal and probably make you an enemy of the state considering they are painting this move in the lie that it is for the good and safety of our country. By the way the pesky little bands that are not needed well we are going to sell them to the media so they can suck you drier than a 100 year old bone in the Sahara. Add to this the fact they will control every thing that you hear and everything that you see and I give you a preview of our brave new world.ve new world.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Why have we allowed ourselves to be turned into electronic junkies that fear loss of electricity to loss of food and water?

That’s a true statement I have friends who work for the cable companies who say people will pay their cable bill before they will pay their electric bill. Talk about stupid? How do you watch TV without electricity?!!!

My work schedule and my location makes the internet my means for communication and socialization so I am not painting myself outside the loop but I removed myself from the box years ago.

I haven’t turned my TV set on in over a year. It makes a nice decorative planter!

It has always been a tool used for controlling the way we think and behave but with the forced switch to digital will push that box into warp mode. God help us if we don’t wake up and help us if we do.

I suppose I can thank my maternal grandfather for being a card carrying member of the American Communist Party, crazy I have always been, asleep never! People do need to wake up and learn not just the reality of the world we live in, but to accept it for what it is.

Thanks! Couldn’t agree with you more.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

There is something far more sinsiter relating to this 'change'. It is going to be the next step, the next level in the process of mind control.

The amazing thing is, is who out there can really think of anything in our lifetimes that the government made mandatory that was in our benefit?

It is the next stage of mind control and its the only plausible reason why it would be made mandatory.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by SleeplessInUS
Why would the president even care about this... how is this important? Talk about wasted time and energy.

How else would he use his Neuro-linguistic programming?
we can be a pretty lazy country at times, and im pretty sure if mortars started flying, it would be appalling to see the amount of cats glued to their set so they could hear the latest "News"

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Why would the president even care about this... how is this important? Talk about wasted time and energy.

I have an idea..... everyone just turn off their TV's... problem solved.

analogue tv transmission is encoded with a lilly wave mind control frequency
www.abovetopsecret.com...

mind c freq have been detected at obamas rallies and now hes urging us to keep the m control anologue ststem,it looks like hes a wolf in sheeps wool,a gray pretending to be good so they can continue thier shinanigans.

its strange tony blair started a program to phase out all anologue tv transmission in the uk by 2012,i suspect he knew of the llly wave anologue m control and decided to do soemthing about it.

[edit on 9-1-2009 by welivefortheson]

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Maybe he could be worried they will tune into Micheal Savage, Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones or Coast 2 Coast?

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think this thread has answered it's own question with nearly every post.

I think a lot of people *will* be doing without TV because of the cost, although small, of making the switch.

Just imagine what would happen in this country if everyone turned off the TV, and went out side, and started chatting with their neighbors.

Talk about enlightenment. That many people with thoughts running through their heads that weren't beamed in by tube? That's ludicrous! Pandemonium would ensue as millions of people experience their first original thoughts. Millions of pounds would evaporate from bellies, buns and thighs as people look to places other than their couch to occupy their time.

posted on Jan, 9 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
If you decide to stop watching t.v. thats fine, but its about the government imposing changes, and people who dont change will be left behind.
What if next, the government said, ok all cell phones will be changed to a new format, so go buy a converter chip , or you will be left with a useless piece of equipment. Or what if the government decides to use a diffrent form of gasoline, and your car will only run if you buy a special adapter? This is a big issue of big brother imposing on the lives of god fearing americans and i do not like it.
What about the coupons? What a joke, How can they run out? This is ludacris. Who decides on how much the converter boxes cost anyway? The stores do. How is this not a racket?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I have an idea..... everyone just turn off their TV's... problem solved.

Oh my lord....what you said....turn it off? NEVER!!!! you can turn off my TV when you pry the remote from my cold dead hand. I'll miss out on all the truth being spilled out like so much vomit from the MSM. And what about Dr. Phil and Oprah? Don't say you don't watch them. The View? Any MSM morning show? These are quality programs for all to see.

Just kidding....I agree.....shut the darn thing off.

I am such a hypocrit. I have two digital TV's. One is a 55" big screen. Having digital cable installed on Monday.

I should just put on a blindfold now, ask for a cigarette and then let the fire sqaud shoot me.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ChilledVoodoo

The things you mentioned we have been conditioned into believing we can not live without. Not true; they are “conveniences. TV is not even that it is just a waste of time. TPTB use this time to condition us to keep doing the things it wants us to do like buy those conveniences and believe we can’t live without them or TPTB. Digital transmissions have been forced into cell phones too. Try to buy an analog phone and see what happens. Cell phones are here to stay unfortunately though they too are contributing to the sickness of the earth; Google cell phones and health. Though I can’t believe everything that is said in the YouTube video “The Human Project” a lot of it is true and it is a good jumping off point for doing research in the area.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
...but I just can't see making such a big deal about it....

...as I said, it's only television, not something you need to survive.

(Edited above quote for brevity, not content.)

Excuse me. What a moronic statement from an alleged "ATS Debate Winner".

I live in Florida. We have hurricanes, and we often lose AC power when that occurs. In the past I have relied on an analog battery-powered TV (runs on 4 AA batteries) to see TV radar of approaching storm. I own 2 that will soon be obsolete.

I have yet to find battery-powered converter box or portable battery-powered Digital TV. ( I am sure they WILL be coming out for additional costs. $$$ But what I have has saved me from Hurricanes in the past. For FREE!)

So in essence, I do need TV to survive.

regards...kk

[edit on 10-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

[edit on 10-1-2009 by kinda kurious]

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join