It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans miffed at Howard bumping Obamas out of home

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by kosmicjack
Bush threw in the towel months ago

I agree. It seems like as soon as John McCain got the nod, Bush went on a mental vacation. (which - may not have been a bad thing
)

Do we really need archaic customs that get in the way of practicality?

It's the rule. If the rule needs to be looked at in the future, then that is fine and dandy. But for someone here to whine that Obama didn't get to move in 3 weeks early because Bush was being a baby .... that was just plain wrong.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

I agree. It seems like as soon as John McCain got the nod, Bush went on a mental vacation. (which - may not have been a bad thing
)

Actually I think it IS a bad thing. At least when he was in the public eye he was not in closed rooms planning what to do after he steps down. Now that he has gone silent I'm almost scared to think of the corruption flowing through that mans veins....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
We certainly have fatter fish to fry in this nation. I don't need to know that Obama got the short end of the stick by staying at the Hay Adams. Perhaps the Willard Hotel was booked also.

The only people miffed are the select Obama followers that think the world should adjust around his schedule.

I am surprised that the good folks at Sidwell Friends didn't push back their start date to accommodate Obama's kids. What kind of school is this?? I think people should be miffed at Sidwell Friends for causing this dire situation in the first place. I'm going to have to give them a call...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Who cares. I agree. Obama can take care of his own housing. The guy has more than enough money to go buy a house if it is that dang important. Hell, at house prices these days, he can get a Rezco Bargain without Rezco. Later if prices go back up, he can make a profit.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Howard who? ....... Oh yea our former Prime Minister, we forgot about him..... he disappeared off the face of the earth after his humiliating defeat, only came back out from hiding recently to get his medal.

Whatever you guys in America decide do with him (in the Blair house, out of the house) who cares.... Just please please don’t send him back, we don’t want him here.

You can keep him or give him away to another nation (think of it as a late Christmas present) - He’s a bloody Muppet!

Mikey

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
[edit on 1/8/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
What a joke.

They make it sound like the Obama's showed up and were turned away at the door.

Had to drag their luggage miles to the nearest Econo-lodge. In the rain. Up hill.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

I don't know much about Howard but it sounds like he will fit right in in DC. He may just want to stay on his own.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Its just so sad, isn't it?

We've got all manner of problems going into 2009, not the least of which is a deficit *double* any that the Bush administration ran during his tenure, and people choose to whine and complain about THIS??? And people wonder why this country is going to hell...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Luxuries like these, that include fabulous careers for their children, high price ticket speaking tours, highly paid consultancies, retainers, etc. are the rewards for Tony Blair and Michael Howard and their loyalty to the Bush family.

Even the exceptionally mediocre Euan Blair son of Tony Blair, the same chap found in a drunken stupor near a gutter in London's Soho at the age of sixteen, has been awarded a scholarship to 'Skulls and Bones' Yale. Notable alumni includes the Bush family and other powerful ultra conservative (conservative in the sense of the retention of power) families.

www.thefirstpost.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Luxuries like these, that include fabulous careers for their children, high price ticket speaking tours, highly paid consultancies, retainers, etc. are the rewards for Tony Blair and Michael Howard and their loyalty to the Bush family.

Even the exceptionally mediocre Euan Blair son of Tony Blair, the same chap found in a drunken stupor near a gutter in London's Soho at the age of sixteen, has been awarded a scholarship to 'Skulls and Bones' Yale. Notable alumni includes the Bush family and other powerful ultra conservative (conservative in the sense of the retention of power) families.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uniceft17
You keeping say 'your'.

As in America I assume?

Yes, mate, I'm Aussie. Said that a few times now...

This is an aticle from Austrailia not America, so it seems like yall are making a big deal out of it.

The article I quoted simply points out that some American's are complaining. I just did a simple google search and found these examples...

thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com...

thinkprogress.org...

www.huffingtonpost.com...

These were just the first few that popped up on Google and all of them describe some form of anger at the situation.

And why are people making such a big deal of this?

That is exactly my point mate.

This thread is so pointless.

No offence mate but you really need to read the thread again, carefully, as you are WAY off course there...

[edit on 8/1/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
While some of you may mistake the following picture for Kermit the Frog. No it’s not. It is our ex Prime Minister Howard (the Muppet in Question) – Yes I know, it’s scary this guy was leader of our country for 11 years!

PS: Oh, if anyone sees the Obama’s – tell them to make sure they wash the sheets before the move it, I’m sure Howard has had Bush over a few times.

Mikey

[edit on 8/1/2009 by Mikey84]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
The rules are that the POTUS elect gets to move in 5 days before.

Do you have a link to these rules? Because I didn't know there were rules.

Clinton had access to Blair House Dec. 7th

Reagan Lived There the First of January

President Elect Carter was given access on Dec. 10 Corroborating Source

I wonder if they know they broke the rules?

Blair House

President-Elect Barack Obama and his family asked to use Blair House from January 04, 2009 until the inauguration ceremony planned for January 20, 2009 so their daughters could attend school when it resumed in January.[4] However, the Washington Post reported they were rebuffed by the Bushes, who said the building was already booked "by White House officials, the State Department and its Office of Protocol for various events," although the article did not indicate whether the other events were actually planned before or after the Obama family made the request.[5] It was revealed that the only overnight occupants of the house at this time were former Australian prime minister John Howard and his wife, invited for the night of January 12 after the Obamas were refused.[6] Instead, the Obama family moved into the nearby Hay–Adams Hotel, until January 15 when they will move to Blair House, the customary residence of the President-elect.

It isn't a matter of your messiah being snubbed.
It's a matter of tradition and the rules.

I'm an atheist. I don't have a Messiah.

I look forward to a link about these "rules".

[edit on 8-1-2009 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

He looks like he just farted and is now wafting it around the room for everyone to share....

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Remember all of the complaining we were doing about all those executives enjoying life at the taxpayers expense. This is no different. Obama should be setting the example and show that government ought to live within its means as well. Many of these politicians have more money than what many of us will have in a lifetime. They can afford to get their own place. Even if they did dis him, he is still going to be President on Jan. 20th. Once President, the same people who dis him will be kissing his you know what.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
This is the first I've heard of it. I dont care. I wouldnt care if Obama had to stay in some terrible D.C. motel paying hourly rates. Well, maybe. In a motel like that his security would probably be 5 times as big and cost me 5 times as much.

$20,000 a night for Obama's luxurious hotel... sponsored by democrats. Kinda ironic considering the financial state of the US

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher Euan Blair son of Tony Blair, the same chap found in a drunken stupor near a gutter in London's Soho at the age of sixteen, has been awarded a scholarship to 'Skulls and Bones' Yale.

Well, who hasn't been found in a drunken stupor near a gutter at sixteen. Let he who is without sin... I defy anyone to say they didn't do something stupid at sixteen? Sixteen is stupid, that's the point - To learn and grow.

Off topic but it chaps me how people hold famous people and/or their children to standards different than the average person.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
New York Times

Obama transition officials, who have been trying hard to highlight how well the Bush and the Obama families have been getting along, were quick to say that they were not angry about being turned away. “The White House has been extremely accommodating to the Obama family needs — and the entire process has been smooth and friendly,” a transition official said.

White House officials said the protocol was that Blair House is available to presidents-elect starting Jan. 15, five days before the inauguration.

White House protocol – Blair House is available to presidents-elect 5 days before inauguration.

NY TIMES The Clintons stayed at the same hotel rather then the Blair House as well.

For those interested.
Official Blair House site
Virtual Tour of the Blair House

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

I am working on the assumption that people good enough to get a scholarship are studious and spend their evenings working on the grades to secure a position at an Ivy League institution. Of course I also know that you can pay to get there with the minimum grades, but you will have to pay a lot.

The alternative is that Euan is in fact exceptionally gifted and can maintain good grades and enjoying a roaring social life in early youth. Equally Tony Blair could have been gifted with the scholarship for his son.

Personally, I don't care if the powerful need to jump from a diving board to get wood. They can do what ever rocks their boat but if there are scholarships going on offer at Yale, shouldn't they go to brilliant disadvantaged young people?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join