It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientology What is it all about??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Well i'll be the first to tell you that im not very educated in the subject of scientology but i thought hey why not look into it and do a bit of reseach to see what its about and so on...

i only really knew about this because of few famous faces that are so far involved in it namely Tom cruise, Katy Holmes and i recently learnt from another thread Jett Travolta. Death by Scientology? that John Travolta is also a member and i started thinking why has all these people joining this cult it cant be for publicity because they arent getting all that much for joining

also this is a list from wikipedia of famous celebrities who have made it know that they are members:

List Of Famous Members

and in In 2007 the Church claimed 3.5 million members in the United States and In 2005, Scientology stated its worldwide membership at 8 million people, and that number included people who took only the introductory course and didn't continue on so its not just something that is just hangng around people are taking notice of this but everyone takes the **** out of it ALL THE TIME whether it be on t.v or open minded people on ATS

So if there is any experts please post on this thread im not looking to join or anything of the sort im just looking to deny me a bit of ignorance and learn about what people seem to be afraid of for no apparent reason

[edit on 3-1-2009 by Anti - Government]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
The lies, scams, and outright danger of the Cult of Scientology is well documented. From charging it's members over $350,000 to reach a basic level in the cult, to child abuse, to death by denial of medical treatment, the list goes on. There are a number of websites that you can look at for more information. Perhaps here is a good place to start learning.
Why We Protest
Once you have visited that site, you can google a great deal more information on the dangers of this cult. I wont tell you what to think, but you can Deny Ignorance, by learning more on your own and forming your own conclusions. There are even several threads here on ATS about the dangers of the cult.

SR

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Because they have a notorious reputation of ruining peoples lives i'll give you a couple of links;

en.wikipedia.org...(Scientology)

www.whyaretheydead.net...

People probably take the rip out of them because of them believing in the alien Xenu as their god and they whole story behind that or something and the war they had with anon last year.

Just google Xenu to read up what they believe in.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Thanks Guys

The lies, scams, and outright danger of the Cult of Scientology is well documented. From charging it's members over $350,000 to reach a basic level in the cult, to child abuse, to death by denial of medical treatment, the list goes on. There are a number of websites that you can look at for more information. Perhaps here is a good place to start learning.

Once you have visited that site, you can google a great deal more information on the dangers of this cult. I wont tell you what to think, but you can Deny Ignorance, by learning more on your own and forming your own conclusions. There are even several threads here on ATS about the dangers of the cult.

u know im a bit like WHAT?? right now i didnt know that anything like that was going on

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
$cientology pretends to be a mystery religion. A religion where knowledge is revealed in layers, as the acolyte grows in knowledge and becomes ready to accept it ( or buys into the early BS to the point where he won't reject the new BS the moment he hears it )

$cientology is Gnosis. In brief: God got bored. Emanated sparks of God material off from himself, generating a race of pets. The pets got bored. If you are a God-spark, you are omnipotent and omniscient. Sit at a piano, play like Bernstein. Dance like Astaire the first time on the floor. No challenges.

One of the God-sparks created a game. The game had limits. The limits negated the advantages of omnipotence and omniscience. Something to do with your mind cures boredom.

All of the God-sparks started playing the game. After a while they forgot they were playing a game and accepted the rules of the game as their true limits.

Gnosis is about recovering the God-spark omniscience and and omnipotence. Which would logically lead to.... boredom on a cosmic scale.

Elron ( Lafayette Ronald - he hated the nickname Lafe, ergo the L. ) was anasthetized for a dental procedure in 1938. Had an OOBE - Out Of Body Experience. Liked it. Wanted to be able to achieve it at will. That is the hallmark of OT8 = Operating Thetan 8, an advanced level in $cientology.

Plenty of info on $cientology on the net.

Google:

Lermanet
clambake
xenu
Sherman Lenske
David Miscavage
Paulette Cooper
Bent Corydon

That will keep you busy for a while

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
what is it about?

it's about a drunken sci-fi writers' bet:

www.skepticfiles.org...

Did L.Ron Hubbard create Scientology on a bet made at a science fiction
conference?

I took a class with Joe Haldeman back at Tech and got the story first-hand.
Several sci-fi writers, including Joe and L. Ron, were sitting around
drinking at a Con. Someone mentioned that any science fiction writer worth
his/her salt should be able to create a religion that people would follow
en masse. Much drunken raving ensued, the upshot of which was that if
L. Ron hadn't made one million dollars within ten years, he'd pay Joe
$10. In fact it only took around three years.

if it isn't sad it would be funny...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I found a bit of information on that.... it appears there is no way to confirm or deny the "bet".

Information below from source: mb-soft.com...

"""
Scientology
Additional Information

In general, BELIEVE tries to avoid repeating information that seems to have minimal documentation, but there is an interesting anecdote that exists. Allegedly, L. Ron Hubbard, a former therapist, and Arthur C. Clarke, the noted author, were friends, and Hubbard bet Clarke that he could start a new religion. The anecdote concludes with him creating Scientology as a result. Again, we have not found specific evidence either supporting or denying that story.

There seem to be two main versions of this story. One is that the alleged conversation occurred in private, at Mr. Clarke's home, with no actual witnesses, and that one or both later commented to friends about it. The other is that the alleged conversation was supposed to have occurred at a Conference of science fiction writers.

Regarding the first, there is obviously no way to confirm or deny that such a conversation actually took place. Regarding the second, a County Court Case in Munich, Germany heard a Complaint (in October 1982, around 30 years after the alleged fact) against adversaries of Scientology regarding publicizing a story regarding the Conference version. Two Affidavits (Kyle and Klein) are in the Court files regarding their statements that they were present at that Conference and that no such conversation had occurred. It is immensely difficult to "prove a negative", and it is hard to see how attendees at such a Conference could provide absolute proof that the two gentlemen did not have a brief conversation somewhere where the two witnesses were not by their sides! In any case, there are apparently official documents in a County Court in Munich, Germany (9 0 19 087/82) where the two claim that the alleged conversation had never occurred. As an impartial observer, I note that this Court action was not done in the United States and not earlier than 30 years after the fact and in a relatively minor Court.

It still seems unclear to us whether there was any such conversation, in private somewhere, although it now seems better established that there was probably no public conversation. Whatever the reality was, there is now a fairly large group of believers in Scientology!"""

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Just to clear up a few things...

First of all the whole Xenu/body thetans/exploding volcanoes business is not revealed to Scientologists before they achieve something called OT 3. OT stands for Operating Thetan, where the Thetan is the Scientology term for Soul. The "Operating" part implies that the being is able to operate independently of his/her body.

This is a fairly advanced level in Scientology and is not achieved until a lot of time and money has been spent, not to mention the personal spiritual investment and commitment.

OT 3 is referred to as the "Wall of Fire" within Scientology and it is believed that if one is exposed to this information without being properly prepared/trained, it can have very damaging results, including death. This is why Scientology made such a big fuss when South Park told the story in the episode "Trapped in the Closet."

the irony is that a lot of Scientologists, if not the majority, don't know this story yet, so when they see protesters yelling about Xenu etc. they obviously see the protesters as being completely ignorant about Scientology.

At the lower levels, Scientology is basically an elaborate system of help/self help programmes, it's not until much later that the actual how and why, the creation myth, if you will. is revealed.

[edit on 3-1-2009 by MrVertigo]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Scientology: Official Website

It's a little difficult to argue with the goals they have set for themselves and the human race. There's not a thing wrong with their declaration of universal human rights.

As a conspiracy theorist, all kinds of bells and whistles went off when I watched the L. Ron Hubbard video. (it's the second one that plays on the page)

I believe he was born a tool. I can't fathom what kind of conditioning and training he got as a child...only God knows. One can assume things based on where he was born, the opportunity afforded him at a very early age and everything that is connected to his life and times.

There are still too many secrets being kept from us. This religion smells like a man-made attempt to answer the mysteries of life. The media is confusing the issue. Those things confronted by scientologists are common to every living human on earth and it's important that they are rationally discussed.

Unfortunately, mainstream media and the internet have introduced disinfo that clouds the truth.

It's elusive but it stares us in the face every day.

top topics

join