It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Moves to Counter China in Space With Pentagon-NASA Link

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Obama Moves to Counter China in Space With Pentagon-NASA Link

www.bloomberg.com

Jan. 2 (Bloomberg) -- President-elect Barack Obama will probably tear down long-standing barriers between the U.S.’s civilian and military space programs to speed up a mission to the moon amid the prospect of a new space race with China.

Obama’s transition team is considering a collaboration between the Defense Department and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration because military rockets may be cheaper and ready sooner than the space agency’s planned launch vehicle, which isn’t slated to fly until 2015, according to people who’ve discussed the idea with the Obama team.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Now this is a surpise. Is it just me, or does Obama seem to be more hawkish in reality than when he was campaigning?

This is about the first thing Obama plans to do that I could support. I'm concerned that the space programs could be severely impacted by the economic crisis, but this looks like Obama doesn't want that to happen.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

Great, another program that America can't afford and will never pay for. Is it me or does anyone else wonder how many programs like this the 700 billion dollar bail out could have paid for?

On a serious note, I too am quite in favor of a program like this. However, I think we maybe should get our financial ducks in a row before undertaking such an expensive endeavor.

But who know, ensuring America's technological lead on the rest of the world has worked for us in the past, perhaps we should just stick with old faithful.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BluegrassRevolutionary

I know the money is short, but the space program is one that really can't be shut down. If you do, then it will be decades before it can be restarte. And then you allow other countries to move ahead. What if we try and go back to the moon in 30 years and find out the countries already there don't want us to be there?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I've been saying that all along. His administration will be very hawkish and aggressive on foreign policy. He was against the Iraq war because he realized that it was politically expedient to be against it.

That said, I also agree with this move.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I think Obama understands this quote from John Pike.

“Whoever controls space has control of Earth,” he said. “The United States is unable to resist it. If the U.S. is in a position to control Earth from outer space, there’s nothing to stop us. Of course we’re going to do it.”

Marine Operations using Space Transport
blog.wired.com...

Space Marines!

Now if DARPA can just get the power armored exoskeletons with active camo perfected. Kids played HALO on Xbox when growing up, grown up they will play Master Chief in real life.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
what sickens me is why dont they send the space shuttle on a trip around the moon and back.. it is far more advanced than the tincans they used back in the seventy's... it seams to me they are only linking the 2 so they can put more money into military rockets..

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Whats new?

NASA will work closely with the Pentagon?

Most of NASA's Personnel come from the armed services anyway, and NASA has launched tons of military equipment in the past.

But maybe this really means we will hopefully see some more exotic black program technology released into the space program this kind of goes with my thread here

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Maybe if we "bump" all of the Obama/NASA/Pentagon threads one of the moderators will close the other three.

On topic, I can't wait for SUSTAIN and FALCON to gain widespread public attention.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Maybe if we "bump" all of the Obama/NASA/Pentagon threads one of the moderators will close the other three.

I'm trying my best Batman but...

Grab the Bat rope! Hold on here we go...

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I swear I thought I posted here....but IMO I dont see what the big deal is because NASA, Air Force Space Command and the Pentagon already work closely together. This sounds like a budget issue, and not much more. IMO

Ah! There are a zillion threads on this. No wonder im confused.

[edit on 1/3/2009 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Thread Closed

Please continue discussion on this early submission
HERE

top topics

join