It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motorists' habits spur call for tax increases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Motorists' habits spur call for tax increases

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON – Motorists are driving less and buying less gasoline, which means fuel taxes aren't raising enough money to keep pace with the cost of road, bridge and transit programs.

A federal commission created by Congress to find a way to make up the growing revenue shortfall in the program that funds highway repairs and construction is talking about increasing federal gas and diesel taxes.

A roughly 50 percent increase in gasoline and diesel fuel taxes is being urged by the commission until the government devises another way for motorists to pay for using public roads.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Yeah, kick us while we're down. This disgusts me. Hey, how about instead of laying all of these burdens on us, taxes, bailouts, etc, etc, you STOP creating -Snip- wars and killing people, and spend THAT money on things we need! Irresponsible, corrupt, evil, dips -Snip-
!
I've got a better idea! How about for all of you corrupt politicians, we create a tax based on your income! For every million a year that you make, $500,000 of that goes into a Federal Fund to pay for Road Contruction, Bridge Work, and all of these other things that you seem to think that we can afford. I means surely, even at a minimum, $500,000 a year should be sufficient for you to survive. After all, most of us "taxpayers" are doing it on average at $30,000 a year or less!
You're guff is OUTRAGEOUS! Whatever happened to lynch mobs from days of old who would wring justice from your bloated necks! While I don't advocate violence in any way, one can only hope that something happens to you crooks to make you change your crooked ways.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Do Not Use Profanity.

1b.) Profanity: You will not use profanity in our forums, and will neither post with language or content that is obscene, sexually oriented, or sexually suggestive nor link to sites that contain such content.
Terms and Conditions

[edit on 2-1-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Oreyeon
I wont use your words but I agree with you in principle. Raising the gas tax because we are driving less is not the answer. The additional funds need to come from some where else. I am not saying I have the answer, but just some where else. Anything from an energy tax, to car parts I think would be better.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

With the economy down and spending decreasing the government (on all levels) is finding new "creative" ways to get our money via taxes.

Oh, you're spending less money because you HAVE less? Let's increase sales taxes, gas taxes... there's also been the talk of an 18% tax on sugary drinks or a new vehicle tax based on the numbers of miles driven a year.

Don't we all give enough?

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Shakespeare's quote from Henry VI: "THE FIRST THING WE DO, LET'S KILL ALL THE LAWYERS." ... He should have added all politicians and beaureaucrats next!
Typical of the elitists in our government. They don't take cuts or get layed off but the rest of us can!!!

Zindo

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This is absurd. The tax on gas is already ridiculous. Here in PA, to calculate what the current gas price at the pumps should be, I add 60 cents to the commodity price and it usually comes out about right. With current prices, that amounts to almost a 60% tax on fuel.

posted on Jan, 2 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Not only that, now they are talking about charging us for the "miles" that we use on a daily basis. This would require a federally mandated device to be installed on all vehicles that tracks and reports your mileage. It would be like a vehicular IRS. This country is getting more and more ridiculous by the moment. They are looking to us to fix the problems, by stealing our hard-earned wages, rather than looking to their own 6 and 7 figure incomes. The disproportionate balance between the rich and the working class in this country should be enough of a red flag for everyone to realize that this is completely unfair, and that we are being robbed blind. Even if all of these 6 and 7 figure earners were to contribute a 10% amount of their annual income to a federal fund for transportation maintenance and construction, it would be enough to keep it going without having to steal more from us than they already have.

In this article, they talk about the mileage tracking device;

Mileage Devices

I for one have about had my limit of the amount of bulls**t we are being forced to take these days. They tie your hands, knock you to the ground, and continue to kick you while you're down. We never get a chance to pick ourselves back up, and ultimately, desperation and hopelessness sets in.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
If I am not mistaken, wasn't a large part of the liberals' rationale for originally instituting gas taxes and increasing them periodically to raise the prices and thus force drivers to take a more conservationist approach towards oil & gas? So let's think about this for just a moment... drivers are driving less & using less gas right now, today. This is what the liberal eco-warriorsTM claimed to be part of their goal of said gas taxes in the first place. So now they wish to punish the American people even more because we dared to actually not drive as much (admittedly because many couldn't afford it anymore)?

Yeah, here Uncle Sam... *rolls up sleeve* just slit my wrists and bleed the rest of it out of me now and save us both some years of pain and suffering. Consider it your gift to me because I still have a great job and I'm not among those who have become destitute, yet anyway.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
And another article about the Taxing Devices:

Taxing Devices

new topics

top topics

join