It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival Belt.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Good evening to you all.

While most of us have our BOB's ( bug out bags ), BOV's ( Bug out vehicle's ) etc.
What about last ditch survival.
Do any of you carry a survival belt at all ???

I am looking at several types that basically would carry, a survival tin, fire steel, knife, phone / radio, flashlight etc.

I feel that there should be an absolute basic piece of kit that you should keep about your person at all times, because you never know where you may have to dump you BOB and retrieve it at later time.
Again if this had to happen, you would possibly need the basics to get by.
There other scenario's but i'm sure you all get the point i'm making.

I know some military belts are out there that you add pouches too, but I have seen an all in one jobby that would do me for the time being.

What type of belt do you wear, if you wear one at all ???

Cheers
Colec.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by colec156]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
You might like this ATS thread

It's entirely about EDC (Every Day Carry) and what people keep with them. Northern Raider has some GREAT information, but the entire thread is jam packed with useful goodness.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CeltAngel

Yeah, lol I have been taking part in that thread.

I was specifically after what sort of belts that people may wear with their bug out equipment.
I have an EDC bag.
If I was out if the sticks, I was thinking along the lines of something that you don't keep in the bag, but in the form of a belt with pouches. ( If you get where I am coming form
)

Thanks for the heads up though Friend.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

Ahh, well then never mind! I'm SO new to this survival stuff, it took the thread I mentioned to get me even thinking about EDC stuff.

In that case, given your excellent point, I'm gonna sit back and wait for all the experienced people to come here so I can take notes

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hi, a S10 respirator case is big enough to hold the barebones, ie survival tin, small mess can, hexistove, knife, bivvy bag, emergency rations etc etc. Plenty on ebay and available in DPM or olive drab.

Rgds

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
edit: sorry, i read your post wrong :p

I actually keep a small camcorder pouch attatched a military style belt. Can pack a lot in those things!

Bigmoose

[edit on 29-12-2008 by bigmoose]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
Good evening to you all.

While most of us have our BOB's ( bug out bags ), BOV's ( Bug out vehicle's ) etc.
What about last ditch survival.
Do any of you carry a survival belt at all ???

I am looking at several types that basically would carry, a survival tin, fire steel, knife, phone / radio, flashlight etc.

I feel that there should be an absolute basic piece of kit that you should keep about your person at all times, because you never know where you may have to dump you BOB and retrieve it at later time.
Again if this had to happen, you would possibly need the basics to get by.
There other scenario's but i'm sure you all get the point i'm making.

I know some military belts are out there that you add pouches too, but I have seen an all in one jobby that would do me for the time being.

What type of belt do you wear, if you wear one at all ???

Cheers
Colec.

When I was a soldier before I got heavily into survivalism I used to keep SERE (Survival, Evasion,Resistance,Escape), belt around my waist when in the field, Basically it was a concealed pocket money belt, it has mini compass, survival notes, snares, paracord, few boiled sweeties, water puri tabe and a tiny knife ( A Cold Steel Tuff Lite) and a few coins in it. You can still get decent money belts from the western leather shop
www.westernbelt.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
For my EDC (Every Day Carry) I use a leather belt. I can put any pouches for a duty belt on a normal belt. The only thing that is attached to my normal belt is a pock-its pouch that holds my leatherman, a flashlight, a small adjustable wrench and a lighter. The way you described a survival belt, I would suggest something like a fanny pack. You can put lots of useful stuff in it and not look like you are trying to be batman.

Something else I would suggest if you dont want to look like a nerd wearing a fanny pack is a safari vest. Lots of pockets to hold lots of stuff, and they are great for concealed carry.

Be safe.

Spiritowl

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Yeah, lol I have been taking part in that thread.

I was specifically after what sort of belts that people may wear with their bug out equipment.
I have an EDC bag.
If I was out if the sticks, I was thinking along the lines of something that you don't keep in the bag, but in the form of a belt with pouches. ( If you get where I am coming form
)

Thanks for the heads up though Friend.

If its a belt with pouche4s like Batmans you want you could have a look at the Maxpedition range on Hiennie Haynes website

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I myself don't ware a belt for any thing other then to keep my pants up. Probably should ware a survival tool belt but to be honest I have multiple bobs every place I might possibly go on a normal basis that I Don't think I will ever be with out.

Should it ever happen as long as I have my knife I can make do.

Great thread tho I cant wait to see what others have to say. Who knows maybe I can find a replacement for one or two of my bobs

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
An old chum of mine wears a Ranger Leather Belt with his pants, whats rather natty is he has bound a part of it with paracord, but also under the paracord is some coins , a button compass and water puri tabs, and he's fitted one of those old Gerber belt buckle knives to it. Its not fully bound as it gets too restrictive but he does also hang a Pock-Its pouch with multi tool and flashlight from the belt, his main EDC blade goes in his from right pocket with a lighter in the front left pocket. All very low profile.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I don't have a belt other than to hold cell phone on. I have a pocket knife at all times... I do have pouches in my vehicles as well as house.

I have read about survival belts and such but in a world of dress belts, any pouch sticks out. So I keep them in the vehicle.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I really to value your input here thought, only a few months ago I was the newb and all these fine people helped me along the way.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Ok, thanks for all your input, Yes thats including you Northern Raider

I'm not here to advertise, but have very recently made a purchase of one of these belts.

Army style camo belt

Basically, I just wanted to show you what I have a purchased.

The main pouch has plenty of room for a survival tin, there is also a sideways belt, Ideal for a folding knife, one zipped and one velcro pouch ideals for mobile / cell phones, small fishing kit, boiled sweets, chocolate bar ETC.
Very well made and I think its a bargain.

Have a look, what do you guy's think.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   
On the subject of belts, in the UK it is almost impossible to get hold of good quality double thickness , fully treated leather belts. In the US I picked up some beautiful quality dress leather belts designed for jeans or as gun belts ( they had plastic stiffeners in between the leather layers. I only paid about £18 each for them, but in the UK the British sellers try to get you to pay 50 to 90 quid for basic sadlery leather belts, its a bloody disgrace.

If you look at top brand denim fashion shops and western outfitters in the UK who sell Levis, Wrangler, Lee, Lee Cooper etc all the belts they sell with them are usually chinese made thin and badly cured rubbish. I'm getting tempted to try and find an 1 3/4 tactical nylon belt like 5:11 make.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by Northern Raider]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
On the subject of belts, in the UK it is almost impossible to get hold of good quality double thickness , fully treated leather belts. In the US I picked up some beautiful quality dress leather belts designed for jeans or as gun belts ( they had plastic stiffeners in between the leather layers. I only paid about £18 each for them, but in the UK the British sellers try to get you to pay 50 to 90 quid for basic sadlery leather belts, its a bloody disgrace.

If you look at top brand denim fashion shops and western outfitters in the UK who sell Levis, Wrangler, Lee, Lee Cooper etc all the belts they sell with them are usually chinese made thin and badly cured rubbish. I'm getting tempted to try and find an 1 3/4 tactical nylon belt like 5:11 make.

You let me kow what you're looking for and I'll get it to you.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Ok, thanks for all your input, Yes thats including you Northern Raider

I'm not here to advertise, but have very recently made a purchase of one of these belts.

Army style camo belt

Basically, I just wanted to show you what I have a purchased.

The main pouch has plenty of room for a survival tin, there is also a sideways belt, Ideal for a folding knife, one zipped and one velcro pouch ideals for mobile / cell phones, small fishing kit, boiled sweets, chocolate bar ETC.
Very well made and I think its a bargain.

Have a look, what do you guy's think.

I hope it works for you young Sir, but I have tended to find that underdeveloped belts like this have two inherant faults, first is they dont have any decent reenforcment built in so they tend to role or bend when loaded, secondly with them being mainly nylon they have a terrible habilt of rubbing your hib bones red raw if you have to walk any distance. You could try getting a 58 pattern belt from your local army store , they sell for about a fiver and have to be built to MOD specs. I tend to believe that good quality leather is the most comfortable for EDC use, its finding decent leather in the UK thats so difficult.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

Originally posted by Northern Raider

You let me kow what you're looking for and I'll get it to you.

Thanks
I would love to get a 1 3/4 full grain leather belt of the same sort of quality that US cops get in 2 1/4 width for their gun belts, high gloss black, beautifully stitched ( even in the ranger belt style) double thickness, internal stiffners etc, but to buy something like that in the UK would set me back nearly 180 dollars, you should really se the # that gets passed as gun leather in the UK. Example last year I was in a western outfitters on the south coast, they were selling basket weave black belts and ranger belts at about £30 each, the baskert weave belt flex as much vertically as it would wrap round, and the ranger belets 1 inch buckle leather section snapped as soon as I pulled on it. I may have to travel back to my beloved Wichita to buy a bloody decent belt.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

What about places like:

www.copsplus.com...

www.opticsplanet.net...

For instance?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

Why thank you NR for the comment of young sir.

The belt is very well padded, maybe the photo does not show this but the padding actually fits in top of my hips.
I will give it a go and I will post results later during the year of how it stands up.

I have brought this as a companion to my BOB ( bug out bag ) and would probably not be for my every day use.

If it works then £9 well spent and if it fails during the year, well I will then know better.

Colec

top topics

<<   2 >>

join