It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Gutted and Skinned my first deer...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Coyotes are nothing. They are cowards,
and if they get close to you just run at them and they'll flee. They are more likely to go after you if you have your dog with you.

[edit on 28-12-2008 by Anuubis]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anuubis

Take care buddy!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

Originally posted by theresult
Congrats on killing a deer!!!

Do you know the importance of it? for me?

You had a taste.. I mean sure hunting on its own just to say WOW I KILLED IT "hangs on wall" is well.. just seems abit dumb!!

But killing and then eating it aint bad for me "no im not a tree hugger" but i think there is more dignity in killing to eat and not just for fun.

If you want you can go into your garden and track a bug down and kill and eat that.. sound silly??

Widdgerdygrubs!! lol i cant spell it but u get the point..

The tracking is part of it so i hope you learn the ways of a real tracker something 99% of us have lost

Thank you! And I agree with you. I know some people who only take the chice cuts or a head from their kill. I swore to myself that I would not be like that.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen a Widdgerdy Grub... But I'll try one... (Three hours) after you do

Lol im just happy reading that you thought about it and not just the thrill of the kill.. I mean i think most people like me dont mind shooting animals but not for fun or atleast have a taste!! or it just seems a waste of time it being killed

Trust me if TSHTF killing things to eat would not be a problem finding it would be tho!!!!

and just to add i liked how you missed out the tracking part alot shows you have respect atleast.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult

Lol im just happy reading that you thought about it and not just the thrill of the kill.. I mean i think most people like me dont mind shooting animals but not for fun or atleast have a taste!! or it just seems a waste of time it being killed

Trust me if TSHTF killing things to eat would not be a problem finding it would be tho!!!!

and just to add i liked how you missed out the tracking part alot shows you have respect atleast.

Shooting a deer can't be that thrilling... I've been shot at while trying to shoot at someone... That's thrilling... Not in a good way

Join the Army... See the world... Get shot at... WHOHOOO!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Getting shot at sucks! Never been in the military, always wanted to, but i couldn't. Still been shot at all the same and it's not a good time to be had.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis
reply to post by Jkd Up

Getting shot at sucks! Never been in the military, always wanted to, but i couldn't. Still been shot at all the same and it's not a good time to be had.

Indeed not. But that's when I learned about how unique an AK-47 sounded
Always liked that part in Heartbreak Ridge, but never thought I'd know what they really ment about it....

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Gratz Dude!!

Outside of shooting the only other thing you've mised is tracking it if it doesn't drop right away.

Of course, in my case the trail usually leads right into the middle of the thickest, nastiest thorn patch the deer can find. Then dragging it out of there.

I've not had a chance to eat (or get) a bear. But have gotten several wild hogs and done them myself. A big boar can be a stinky job

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

seems to effect a lot of the 'hick' americans this hunting to feel better,theres nothing proud about having a freedom of choice to kill a beautiful defenseless creature just because you want to learn something new,what is hunting you in the woods...nothing,so your are not hunting anything,you are trying to put on a image to other people that your are tough because you have pulled a trigger for 1 second killing an animal which probably has a family,its not just you its the way a lot of southern americans and 'woodsmen' in general are,its no comfort for animal lovers and people who are real people but at least years ago they hunted in africa there was always a chance of lions attacking back.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Try a 1200# moose, 5 mi. back in the bush..It's a little different than a 150# whitetail hanging in your garage..

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by beavertrapperak

If you hunt 5 miles away from your camp, that's your own damned fault.

As for me personally, I don't hunt. I know how to hunt, and to dress, but I don't have the desire to do it.

I will if it ever becomes necessary for me to do so, though.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by moonbeam cat

moonbeam, I'm sure you've eaten some chicken or a hamburger, haven't you?

Ever wonder how it got into that nice, wrapped packaging you see at the grocery store?

Well someone cut the chickens head off, and for your hamburger, someone put a pneumatic hammer to the head of the cow, and pulled the trigger.

That's why they call them a slaughterhouse. Poor cow, standing in a pool of the blood of its kin, waiting its turn, just so you can have a hamburger.

My kills in the wild are much more respectful, and each time I verbally thank the animal for his meat.

You and others don't hunt, it's because you just have your killing done by others.

There is nothing like a warm, slippery gut pile!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Mmmmm, now I have a hankering for some nice fresh deer meat. It's been too long since I've had any. However, for a real great steak, try Moose...Yummy!

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

Actually, in regards to the chicken, they don't do that anymore. At least not at the Tyson's plant I used to work at.

They have live-hangers that hang the birds upside-down in shackles. Then the shackles move by conveyor into a room where they have rotating blades that cut the heads off automatically. Then they drop the birds in scalding water. People don't really have any hands in killing them.

But the evisceration line is pretty disgusting.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I'm very interested in making some Jerky of some of it. Got any good recapies?

Bliv's beef jerky. (also works great for kangaroo jerky so i assume it'll work with deer jerky too
)

cut meat into thin strips. (approx 1/2" thick)

mix equal amounts of soy sauce + oyster sauce together and add a dash of ground pepper.
marinade meat overnight.

the next day drain off excess marinade and lay strips out in one single layer on a flat baking tray, dont crowd the meat together too much if possible.

turn oven onto its lowest setting and use metal tongs or similar tool to prop the oven door open an inch or two.

turn meat strips after about 3hrs, then return tray to the oven with door propped open still (your drying meat, not baking it)
in another 3 - 4 hours your jerky will be ready.

how long you dry it for depends on various things.
dry hard jerky or soft chewey jerky.
size of meat strips.
type of meat
oven used.

kangaroo jerky.

mmm nom nom nom
< --- licks lips

[edit on 28/12/08 by Obliv_au]

[edit on 28/12/08 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Congrats on your first. And I must say I am delighted to see so many well wishers in here for you.
Everyone should know how to clean and dress their food.
Many, many, many years ago as a scout, we went through the gamut of game dressing. From frogs and fowl to deer and boar. That whole respect for nature thing, plus it makes it easier to spot a bad butcher at the local WD.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Congrats on the kill. Way too many of us are completely removed from the fact that death is the price of life, whether you choose to only kill and eat plants or whether you embrace the full smorgasbord of edible creatures that the world has provided, the facts still boil down to something has to die so that you can live. Many years ago I helped a very close friend slaughter a pig that he had raised. It was not work for the squemish, to be sure, but it really helped to connect me to what our ancestors must have been intimately familiar with long before we had supermarkets to hide the brutality from us. I helped to bleed and gut the animal and then strip the outer fatty flesh away to reveal the meat underneath. It was a raw and bloody job to be sure but that was some of the best tasting roast that I have ever partaken of. Our forebearers were keenly aware of the hellish bargain of death = life. As their progeny we suffer many a rediculous political charade designed to deny this basic fact. I applaud any hunter that kills to eat. You do no less than the wolf or the tiger does.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
A pretty tasty variation on the above recipe is to use 3 parts soy sauce to 1 part vinegar. I like to add garlic and a little cheyenne or chili powder, but that is just because I like a little bit of kick.

If you are looking to simply fry some venison, try putting some mustard powder on your meat.
Of course I still add a little jalapeno sauce to it because I put a little kick into absolutely everything I cook.

And salt.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Good stuff.

...was brought up hunting and learnt bushcraft from my father as a wee toddler many many years ago.

The first Deer, Pig, whatever is always an experience...just as is the first time gutting and skinning...then comes the learning how to butcher it up, bone it out etc.

All good skills to have and also provides a ready supply of meat for the table - which can be a bit of a Godsend in financially strapped times...also you can provide meat for others you may know who may not have much money available to purchase it.

Heh - must say much of what I kill and butcher these days doesn't make it anywhere near my freezer, rather it gets all bundled up into various bags and dropped off here there and everywhere - particularily for the elderly people I know, or a few less fortunate families.

But yes - would certainly encourage you to learn well how to prep meat, different cuts etc...it also helps teach you even more just how valuable that Deer is whose life you took.

Strange thing that...and something those who don't hunt sometimes don't get. For many of us it isn't about the kill...it isn't about any macho crap like that...we don't feel we're *better* that the animal whose life we take at all...instead we do honour them and thank them and respect them greatly.

...anyhoo...good stuff...and remember to pass those skills and learnings on to the next generation too...

Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Now, everyone knows that killing the deer is the fun part, the rest is work.

Really? The fun part?
Fun to look in the eyes of Bambi and then POW!
How is that fun?

Agreed that the skill is an important one to learn and probably sooner rather than later given the state of affairs. And... if I was starving it would likely be an important find -
(even as a vegetarian)

but fun? -
Never fun.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

This weeks lesson was gutting and skinning a deer.

mmmm! Mad Deer Disease!!! prion-a-liscious!!

on the riiiise! don't think for a second people.. .that your survivalist's main food supply wouldn't have been thought to be "tainted"...

what... they just gonna let you live off the grid off the land for free?? without RISK???! bwahahhahah!

I wonder if prions take a moment to appreciate your body as a gift from god before they consume your brain... you know.. to reflect on where their neuron-meals come from.

well.. actually they're just molecules... not lifeforms.. but just sayin...

also.... if a seal-otter looking thing emerges from a tumor/cocoon type thing in the deer's gut... make sure you put it safely down the backyard water well.

-

[edit on 28-12-2008 by prevenge]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join