It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 648
<< 645  646  647    649  650  651 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
New CNN video featuring Michio Kaku, revealing that Yellowstone "Took a deep breath" in past months, causing the ground to rise about 10 inches within the past year.
Michio, of course, downplays any estimated time-frame of any possible eruption. But a 10 inch ground swell over the caldera, is nothing to sneeze at.

Here is a link to the video from CNN, dated January 27th, 2011.

CNN Video

Also linked on YouTube....

Gotta love the banner at the end

edit on 1/29/2011 by MadDogtheHunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MadDogtheHunter

there has been so much said about Yellowstone lately
and yet there in next to zero activity anywhere in the park.
Unless the recorders have been tuned down and we are being lied to,
I dont see any reason to be concerned.

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

I'm not concerned. Just sharing what I came across by accident tonight.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Hehehe. I don't think the sky is falling yet. The fact that junk scientists like Michio Kaku managed to worm his way into CNN does not mean anything.
I think the guys and galls here have more knowledge of Yellowstone that most people.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
There's something off about the video with Michio Kaku on CNN. The reporter says that the ground swelled 10 inches over the past year ? the article USGS released about Yellowstone's activity over the past years stated that since 2006 the rate of swelling has decreased to about 2/3 cm/year and that over the last two years it has almost come to a stop and even deflation.
On the other hand I've been thinking about this ground deflation... Of course it's a good thing because it means pressure from deep below is being released and thus reducing the probability of any imminent threat, but than again... isn't the ground supposed to sink/collapse before the super volcano should blow it's top ? - most likely it's not what's happening now but just a thought.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Odyssian

Of course it has to sink back once in a while. It can't just keep swelling for hundreds of thousands of years. Sinking back a little doesn't have to mean it's about to erupt.
Volcanos do this all the time. Up and down, up and down they go.
It's like a mother about to give birth.
When the contractions gets more frequent and bigger, then you need to start worry...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I've heard this guy mentioned in the past while cruising the YS thread, but, after watching that, I get the feeling he really doesn't know much at all. I mean, he's going on CNN & he can't even get the millions of years vs thousands of years right! I just really didn't get a good/honest vibe off the guy.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

I agree. I used to have some level of respect for Michio as a Physicist, but to go on CNN and talk about Yellowstone like its some big joke, decreases that respect. Notice at the very end, the news anchor plugs his newest book. Lame.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Thanks for posting that video so I could see it.

@everyone
This video states that the ground raised by 10" in the last year. Anyone have any idea where this information has come from? Kaku has got to be a joke recently. I am afraid he is no longer credible and he has somehow been incorporated into the 'consensus mindset'.

It is quite clear from the GPS (see below) that inflation stopped in 2009 and levelled off and is now decreasing.

This page shows all the stations of the continuous network.

This is the page for OFW2 which is in the caldera.

What I don't understand as I am not a GPS expert, this seems like the above one to be showing a continuing deflation yet if you look at the cleaned and detrended tab and the Up velocity if shows 23.55mm per year in the text box. This does not seem to match the graph.

If however the figure is the current level above datum, then to describe it as mm/year is incorrect in my opinion. Since the East and North components seem to be showing the correct figure than why the apparent discrepancy with the up figure which does not seem to match the graph at all.

This station NRWY also shows deflation and the figures seem to agree with the graph.

As far as I can see it does not matter which recorder you click on the trend is down.

How come Kaku cannot do this simple exercise to verify his sources before he shoots his mouth off on TV?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Look what eruptions Blog says about Kaku

Erik Klemetti on January 27, 2011, 12:49 PM

I wrote earlier this week about the media and its treatment of Yellowstone caldera. Well, I tried to be calm about a post/video I saw earlier today on CNN's American Morning blog by Rebecca Hillman, but I don't think I can. Kiran Chetry decided to interview Michio Kaku, a noted physicist, about the caldera - specifically about the recent findings about the inflation.

What happens next is one of the worst interviews about Yellowstone I've ever seen - and shows us what happens when you are lazy and don't get a real expert in the field. Heck, it didn't even need to be a volcanologist, but I'm sure that they could have found even a geologist for the interview.
read more

bigthink.com...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

Well fizzackerly!

I think it is time to consign Kaku to the bin and simply ignore him.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
Look what eruptions Blog says about Kaku

Erik Klemetti on January 27, 2011, 12:49 PM

I wrote earlier this week about the media and its treatment of Yellowstone caldera. Well, I tried to be calm about a post/video I saw earlier today on CNN's American Morning blog by Rebecca Hillman, but I don't think I can. Kiran Chetry decided to interview Michio Kaku, a noted physicist, about the caldera - specifically about the recent findings about the inflation.

What happens next is one of the worst interviews about Yellowstone I've ever seen - and shows us what happens when you are lazy and don't get a real expert in the field. Heck, it didn't even need to be a volcanologist, but I'm sure that they could have found even a geologist for the interview.
read more

bigthink.com...

CNN failed miserably here. They probably had Michio in studio to do a plug for his book and they decided to throw this at him. I honestly do not know why he sat there and let that BS come out of his mouth. He clearly knows very little about volcanology / geology and as a professional he should have said "I have not seen the most recent data/I have not had an opportunity to read the peer reviewed research on this, but..."

If the CNN segment was on neutrinos, quarks, theoretical physics including time travel or wormholes or even metaphysics then ok, bring in Michio. This was about a supervolcano, it is not his specialty. It is like inviting a neurosurgeon on to talk about poison ivy.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
What I don't understand as I am not a GPS expert, this seems like the above one to be showing a continuing deflation yet if you look at the cleaned and detrended tab and the Up velocity if shows 23.55mm per year in the text box. This does not seem to match the graph.

If however the figure is the current level above datum, then to describe it as mm/year is incorrect in my opinion.

The Velocity given in the text box looks to be the instantaneous velocity for the current time, I think. If the dashed line were extrapolated to a straight line (or, alternatively as it is a Distance -Time graph, differentiated) you would get a velocity of 23.55mm/year. At least, that would be how I would interpret the figure given.

I would guess giving it as mm/year would be so that it is easily visualised, as 74.7 nm/s is a rather strange number that is roughly equivalent to a few atoms per second. And, I doubt that uplift is an actual smooth process.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

I am still not seeing where they get 23.55mm since it is quite clear that the trend is down, unless as I said it is current from datum. On the page if you select 2 years you get this

That is negative movement no matter how you look at it.

Having taken a close look at several others now I think this figure is kind of misleading. It appears to be the trend over a year but for some reason none of them seem to show in the figures the decrease.

This is HVWY 2 years and the Up is definitely deflating looking at the plot yet if you go to the page the text says 18.45 mm/yr up

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Yes, maybe I was wrong, it does seem to be a downward trend rather than an upward one.

Not that it would make sense, but we are assuming that a positive velocity is upward. It doesn't really make sense for it to be downward, but it could be that only the speed is important, not direction, but then they'd just say 'speed', not velocity. I don't know.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Well folks, there you have it. The people behind the NWO production who are utilizing H.A.A.R.P. to create geologic catastrophies on a global scale (in an effort to cull the world's population via the excuse 'it was an act of God' that was responsible) have, true to form, given us the warning that Yellow Stone is being manipulated to facilitate it's eruptive prospect, yet again a concerted effort (in cooperation with the New Madrid faultline) at killing off the American population.

I mean really, if scientific fact contradicts the 'experts' who plant lies into internationally broadcast syndications that dramatize the spin on an outragious claim about an immenant catastrophic event... what other explantion would you give?

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
If I could disagee with the YVO I would. But the fact is that many areas have subsided. Others are unchanged. This is vastly different to the period we experienced since 2004 where the uplift was sustaintial. The swarms changed this. It's obvious. Now there is something to note about the current situation. I think we'd expect more subsidence. That's where you might find an answer. After the 1985 swarm, there was subsidence. So a comparison is in order.

The only odd thing about the quakes around Yellowstone is not in Yellowstone proper. On this thread we've refered to the inland arc of fire running from around Utah running up through Yellowstone, continuing to the northwest of Yellowstone. This area seems very active with lots of little events. But it's only a small fractional difference.

Whether Haarp works or not is not important to me. If someone want to set off Yellowstone, they only need drop a nuke into the lake.

And the fracking guys are going to set off the New Madrid Fault.

Oh Puterman, I forgot to mention that I think 2017 will be a dramatic year at Yellowstone is firstly dependant on any uplift. No uplift and no new injection of magma and nothing much will happen.

But if we get a large hot meaty magma injection, the lunar cycle will set off a major swarm.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
This ones on a fault line which leads under the lake - I am unable to upload the picture

Magnitude 2.0
Date-Time Monday, January 31, 2011 at 21:31:06 UTC
Monday, January 31, 2011 at 02:31:06 PM at epicenter

Location 44.279°N, 110.429°W
Depth 0.6 km (~0.4 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, WYOMING
Distances 69 km (43 miles) SE (128°) from West Yellowstone, MT
73 km (46 miles) ENE (75°) from Warm River, ID
74 km (46 miles) NE (38°) from Alta, WY
410 km (255 miles) NNE (17°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.9 km (0.6 miles); depth +/- 11.1 km (6.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 30, Nph= 30, Dmin=8 km, Rmss=0.44 sec, Gp=148°,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
Source University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID uu00005564

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
christ. kaku is REALLY getting overexposed. other night was flipping through channels and saw him lending his 2 cents on a videogame show.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by wingsfan

Perhaps he should stick to that then. Maybe videogames is something he cam speak about authoritatively.

Supervolcanoes are not.

new topics

top topics

<< 645  646  647    649  650  651 >>

join