It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

I waited 2 days for a mention of the events at yellowstone. Then yesterday the article above was posted. Today it is gone.
yesterdays events from 12:00 untill 03:00 today were constant.
www.quake.utah.edu...
www.quake.utah.edu...

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mushussu
reply to post by trusername

This past weekend , Milliken Colorado lost its water, over 1 million gallons. They say they do not know where it went. Small potatoes on the large screen, maybe.
Coincidence? maybe.

Over 1 million gallons of missing water? Not small. It's the hip bone connected to the thigh bone - all connected.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I don't think this Milliken, CO water issue is directly related. First of all, it is a relatively small amount of water that went missing. Considerably less even than was lost during the River Road Water Main break in MD last week. Second, it is a considerable distance from Yellowstone and there are no other reports of similar events in surrounding areas of either Milliken or Yellowstone. It seems like an isolated anomoly and one that will have a logical explanation once the officials involved delve a little deeper into the issue.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I have installed Fault Layers in Google Earth and noticed near yellowstone there is ANOTHER caldera. The Island Park Caldera. Perhaps not relevant but I certainly was not aware of two calderas so close together.

Calderas

Edited to add image link.

[edit on 30/12/08 by Lebowski achiever]

[edit on 30/12/08 by Lebowski achiever]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

You do not have to go that far.
Look what is happening on the west coast.
There has been more activity for the past year especially in the NW than there has been.
A place called Maupin (sp) Oregon has been getting a lot of activity as well as western Washington. Off of the coast there have been quite a few large ones. Experts believe the plate extends underneath well into the US. Re check or look at USGS animations. Follow the strikes up the coast and inland. Pivot point is Yellowstone.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mushussu

Yeah I'm well aware of that because I live just outside of Portland Oregon on the Washington side of the river. The cascade range and the juan de fuca plate love to remind us they are not always going to be nice and silent.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hmm I'm looking at seven lakes and lake loveland -

Water Rights Raw Water Credits
Consolidated Hillsborough Ditch Company;
Consolidated Home Supply and Reservoir;
Greeley Loveland Irrigation Company;
Seven Lakes;
Lake Loveland;
Big Thompson Platte River Ditch;
Highland Ditch: $450 per S.F.E.

Colorado Big Thompson
Project Units (CBT): $ 0 per S.F.E.

Other acceptable water rights $450 per S.F.E.

where could we see if these lakes are attached to Yellowstone lake?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
1 million gallons on the 28th is worth a little look considering all the activity these days.

In china when the lake went missing right before the earthquake - some found it odd.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by trusername

Just typed in Big Thompson Yellowstone on Google this is what I got.

Need help digging.

Looks like most of their water rights are attached to Yellowstone somehow.

www.google.com...

[edit on 30-12-2008 by Realtruth]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
There where more lakes disapeart.
See this post link

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Lebowski achiever

Brother, that's not the half of it.

dsc.discovery.com...

Shows you the plume trail of magma underneath the surface... yellowstone is just the exit point.

The image is hard to see (looking for a bigger one) but the yellowstone caldera is the far right circle.

-edit- Old faithful is about to erupt if any are interested.. www.virginiasbestkeptsecret.com...

[edit on 30-12-2008 by TwiTcHomatic]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

Well , howdy .
I am just across the river from you!
Did you see the interest in the paper about Maupin by experts?

Back to the other of topic. Yellowstone is connected to a system of aquifers stretching down through Colorado.

My analogy would be along the lines of a small chink in the ice or glass can lead or contribute to a larger crack.
Info in the minutia could equal to important details.

Little things now may lead to bigger things later.
I think it is important to understand the system at large.

Yellowstone is much larger than the pot-hole it seams on the surface.

Granted.. avery LARGE pot-hole.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by coolvibe

those are just some big ones I put up from this year. I'm checking if there are more recent and nearer by - so can try to stay on topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Utah site is up to 130 now.

I guess it's safe to say - the new MO is no more red on the map - it scares the public.

what do you think?

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Maybe Yellowstone was feeling Koryakski's eruption coming???

Russia's Koryakski volcano on the eastern Kamchatka Peninsula has erupted sending ash 6,000 metres (20,000 feet) into the air, according to the local geophysics service said.

In the past 24 hours, about 170 tremors have been registered near the volcano. The last major eruption occurred 3,500 years ago.

Video available at source - BBC

ETA: :Latest official update

Situation Update No. 3
On 30.12.2008 at 12:23 GMT+2

The headline "Scientists track unusual earthquake swarm beneath Yellowstone" only means one thing to fans of the Discovery channel like myself: supervolcano. Here is what the earthquake center at the University of Utah had to say yesterday afternoon:

- The University of Utah Seismograph Stations reports that a notable swarm of earthquakes has been underway since December 26 beneath Yellowstone Lake in Yellowstone National Park, three to six miles south-southeast of Fishing Bridge, Wyoming. This energetic sequence of events was most intense on December 27, when the largest number of events of magnitude 3 and larger occurred.

- The largest of the earthquakes was a magnitude 3.9 (revised from magnitude 3.8) at 10:15 pm MST on Dec. 27. The sequence has included nine events of magnitude 3 to 3.9 and approximately 24 of magnitude 2 to 3 at the time of this release. A total of more than 250 events large enough to be located have occurred in this swarm. Reliable depths of the larger events are up to a few miles. Visitors and National Park Service (NPS) employees in the Yellowstone Lake area reported feeling the largest of these earthquakes.

- Earthquakes are a common occurrence in the Yellowstone National Park area, an active volcanic-tectonic area averaging 1,000 to 2,000 earthquakes a year. Yellowstone's 10,000 geysers and hot springs are the result of this geologic activity. A summary of the Yellowstone's volcanic history is available on the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory web site (listed below).

- This December 2008 earthquake sequence is the most intense in this area for some years and is centered on the east side of the Yellowstone caldera. Scientists can not identify any causative fault or other feature without further analysis. Seismologists continue to monitor and analyze the data and will issue new information if the situation warrants it.

- The University of Utah operates a seismic network in Yellowstone National Park in conjunction with the National Park Service and the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS). These three institutions are partners in the Yellowstone Volcano Observatory.

And what if the supervolcano blew? Kind of like if a giant rock hit the Earth. A planet killer. An extinction-level event. Let me quote the words of President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman) in the comet-hitting-earth film Deep Impact::

- Within a week, the skies will be dark with dust from the impact and they will stay dark for years. All plant life will be dead within weeks. Animal life within a few months. So that's it. Good luck to us all.

Such a scenario would be very bad for equity values and the outlook for the labor market.

Source RSOE EDIS

[edit on 12/30/08 by redhatty]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
WOW that video is impressive!
Lava and all.
Maybe we have nothing more than sympathetic rumblings from Yellowstone.
then again... what if Koryakski is a precursor to us?
Interesting thought.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
New small quake (2.4 magnitude) from a few minutes ago in lake Yellowstone:

2.4 2008/12/30 12:05:14 44.530N 110.348W 0.5 62 km (38 mi) ESE of West Yellowstone, MT

(automatically generated data)

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Hey Lebowski,
I was trying to find the video of Supervolcano and ended up finding a nice little interactive Supervolcano thingamabob on Discovery's website. It shows how the Hotspot under Yellowstone has moved over the millenia and leaves a caldera after each eruption.

Interactive Supervolcano

Good stuff, and really glad everybody is on top of this event and discussion. Great job ATS'ers!

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Can someone make sure there is info listed at USGS (12/12/08 in Wyoming) about this earthquake.

I feel like an idiot - but I can't find it. It is probably there.
Having trouble getting into the archives.

This was a quake that I copied and pasted from RSOE after it was removed from my widget about 5 minutes after it happened. I thought it was strange that it had been removed.

I just wanted to make sure it was in the archives and I'm too daft to find it.

Much appreciated.

EQ-20081212-138521- Common Alerting Protocol
Magnitude 3.0 (Minor)
# Date-Time [UTC] 12 December, 2008 at 20:53:40 UTC
# Local Date/Time Saturday, December 13, 2008 at 14:53 in the afternoon at epicenter
Location 41.6015 -108.8376
Depth 0.20 km (0.12 miles)
Region
Country
Distances 9.79 km (6.08 miles) S of Point of Rocks, Wyoming
Affected people
Source USGS-RSOE
Generated Tsunami Not or no data!
Damage Not or not data!
Additional information (Radius of 100 km)

[edit on 30-12-2008 by spinkyboo]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

Red,
Thanks for the posting from the official USGS web site...
The paragraph below clinches the fact that there is no known fault line. This is magma rising and breaking thru rock layers...

"This December 2008 earthquake sequence is the most intense in this area for some years and is centered on the east side of the Yellowstone caldera. Scientists can not identify any causative fault or other feature without further analysis. Seismologists continue to monitor and analyze the data and will issue new information if the situation warrants it."

They have no idea if this is IT or not, I am sure.

See link to latest status update from YVO:

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

[edit on 30-12-2008 by NostradamusWasHere]

new topics

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join