It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Pictures: The Structure of Freemasonry

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

Anything is possible but not very likely. The York Rite Honorary bodies differ in that the general membership votes on all names that are referred to it. It only takes one no vote to remove that name from the entrance.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by RuneSpider

You are correct RuneSpider, there is no difference between a 3rd degree Mason and a33rd in a Masonic Lodge... Both of them are equals and have the same amount of say. Having suspended 3rds 33rds Shriners and Templars for none payment of Lodge dues, they all are the same to me.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus_Fallen

Icarus_Fallen, Why would the 33rds still " still stand apart", The are subject to the same rules, and by laws of the Grand Lodge as every other Mason.
They get no special treatment in any Lodge I have ever been in. In reality the receive the same respect as a Member of the Red Cross of Constantine, or a KYCH does at Masonic function. In fact I know personally 33rds for whatever reason the were never considered entrance to any York Rite Honors bodies.
The only real Mason that stands apart is the Grand Master for his year.
And still he only needs to be a 3rd degree Mason.

posted on Jan, 20 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I have seen the book that contains the 4th to I believe was the 17th degree. I believe it was the 17th. It's been so long since I've seen it. I could be wrong. Anyway, in the forward it mentions the brothers in the illuminati and some other group that I can't remember. Yet, no one is really talking about that. They (illuminati) are still in the realm of conspiracy.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Little Insanity

"illuminati" they're waiting to iluminate themselves for what they are ,shisters.
and guys if this is what being a mason is all about thank god this is as close as i get to it! a bunch of pompus,old men(sounding, if not get a life) who just argue over what is and isnt feemasonry. sounds like a matt greoning lodge meeting from the simpsons and im sure as we speak one of the wrighters of the show see's this and go's "good idea". guys chill out its only a conspiricy site personaly i think were all geting played by a much more molevolent force,who in turn control all less molevolent bodies and so on. wake up, the cogs will keep ticking while we argue about it. its just ignorant people on both side leting them.non theorist masons :as this is life you cannot deny that you could be being used by the supreme lodge whatever governig bodie you have.to do so is like saying that not only did man not go to the moon but that it isnt posible!
and theorist ramming the idea of corruption down the throat of some one who feels justly treated makes them ignorant as they (primativly) have no reason to beleive you and feel they have walked to this path ,whether they be pushed or not and as we all argue our "rights" are being taken from us(or U.S)
have a bit of fun but stop the nonsensical argueing ! agree to disagree
love and light

[edit on 21-1-2009 by 5ive the light]

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by LowLevelMason

There is a material reward for attaining each degree, so obviously the person with the most jewels is going to be more highly respected.

The rite of the so-called "33rd degree" is "Commandery of Sovereign Grand Inspectors General," which sounds a bit .... aggrandized, compared to the lower degrees, don't you think?

Each new lodge must be approved by the UGLE, so there's a bit of authority there as well.

Plus, when reading Morals and Dogma, it becomes apparent that the interpretations for the symbols changes with each degree.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by vcwxvwligen
There is a material reward for attaining each degree,

Really? What are they? More importantly, why did I not get mine?

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

One thing that might be a little misleading is that you say that the Shriners are sort of co-equal appendent (not called side bodies) bodies with the Scottish or York (often called the American Rite) rites.

The Shriners are not an appendent body, nor are they a rite of Freemasonry. They are nothing more or less than a social club whose membership is open only to Master Masons. Same goes for the groups like the Grotto, Tall Cedars of Lebanon and others. There purpose is for fun and charity and has nothing whatever to do with the working of rites of Freemasonry as the Scottish and York or American Rites do. Just to clear that up. Also it used to be that these social clubs required that one be a 32nd degree SR Master Mason or a Knight Templar (York Rite). This is no longer the case and hasnt been for some time because the social clubs were seeing to few members joining because a lot of men were not going all the way through Scottish or York Rites.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Icarus_Fallen

There are technically 33 degrees in the Scottish Rite. However, the last degree in that Rite (ie the 33rd) is honorary and is based on service to Freemasonry and community, charity, etc.

There are rites of Freemasonry, most now defunct or not in common practice that have as many as 99 degrees, like the Egytptions Rites of Memphis and Mizraim.

It should be noted that Masonry makes very clear that there is no degree "higher" than that of Master Mason or 3rd degree. The others are appendent degrees and simply elaborate on the 1st three degrees (entered apprentice, fellow craft and master mason). BUt if you are a Master Mason 3rd degree, then you have reached the top. Simply because someone may have a 32nd degree in the Scottish Rite doesnt mean that they are more advanced in teh hieracrchy than you. This is a common misunderstanding.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by AugustusMasonicus

There is a material reward for attaining each degree,

Really? What are they? More importantly, why did I not get mine?

The "material rewards" amount to nothing more than a certificate or scroll and a "jewel" which one can pin to his suit coat lke a military medal. ALso in the Scottish Rite there are different color caps and in the York Rite there is a (rather silly in my opinion) variation of the Knights Templar regalia complete with capes and swords.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

There is a material reward for attaining each degree, so obviously the person with the most jewels is going to be more highly respected.

The rite of the so-called "33rd degree" is "Commandery of Sovereign Grand Inspectors General," which sounds a bit .... aggrandized, compared to the lower degrees, don't you think?

Each new lodge must be approved by the UGLE, so there's a bit of authority there as well.

Plus, when reading Morals and Dogma, it becomes apparent that the interpretations for the symbols changes with each degree.

Lodge in the United States are not goverend by the UGLE. They are goverend by State Grand Lodges.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
The York Rite gets more discriminatory as you move along it.
The final three degrees require you to be Christian, and to swear to defend the faith.
Except in the US, it seems, it's invitation only.

Here's Wiki on masonic Rites:
en.wikipedia.org...

It also has links regarding the York and Scottish Rites.
note that both of those are pretty much, though not entirely American. They are also put together from other degrees that already existed in Europe.

There are many more in England, and Europe in general.

Looking through the lsit, the only other group that has a high number of degrees at once would be the The Holy Royal Arch Knights Templar Priests, which is itself a invitation only group, limiting themselves in number.

Mostly incorrect from beginning to end. While the Templar portion of the York rite is Christian-based, it is not necessary to be a Christian, only to vow to "defend the faith." In fact, there are many Jewish men in the York Rite

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Actually that is not true. There is a Grand Lodge for every State (within the US) and every country (outside the US) that is independent and sovereign to itself. Only the Grand Lodge of that territory can authorize the charter of a new Lodge.

The UGLE has authority over England and some other places. The Grand Lodge of Scotland also has some authority outside of Scotland; I believe Lebanon is under the rule of the Grand Lodge of Scotland. For the most part though each Grand Lodge is autonomous and governs them self.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by KSigMason]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Checkered Pavement
The "material rewards" amount to nothing more than a certificate or scroll and a "jewel" which one can pin to his suit coat lke a military medal.

This does not occur in every jurisdiction as it certainly is not part of Masonry in mine.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
UGLE does not give a certificate or jewel for any of the degrees (other than the standard MM certificate which everyone receives after becoming a Master Mason.)

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   

The "material rewards" amount to nothing more than a certificate or scroll and a "jewel" which one can pin to his suit coat lke a military medal. ALso in the Scottish Rite there are different color caps and in the York Rite there is a (rather silly in my opinion) variation of the Knights Templar regalia complete with capes and swords.

It should be noted though that these things are not "material awards". They usually aren't given, but the the candidate may purchase them at his own expense if he wants them.

Also, that guy's comment that the UGLE must approve all Lodges is sort of silly. The United Grand Lodge of England means just that: of *England*. It has no authority anywhere else.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I googled "masonry structure" for grfx and one of the returns were

Quite interesting text to accompany the kewl artwork.

[edit on 26/2/2009 by Neo Christian Mystic]

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic
I googled "masonry structure" for grfx and one of the returns were

Quite interesting text to accompany the kewl artwork.

It's reasonably accurate, but it leaves out a lot (Allied Masonic Degrees, Red Cross of Constantine, Masonic Rosicrucian Society, etc.).

Also, the titles of the degrees for the Scottish Rite there reflect them as used in the Northern Jurisdiction USA. The Southern Jurisdiction, and some others, use different titles.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light

It should be noted though that these things are not "material awards". They usually aren't given, but the the candidate may purchase them at his own expense if he wants them.

Also, that guy's comment that the UGLE must approve all Lodges is sort of silly. The United Grand Lodge of England means just that: of *England*. It has no authority anywhere else.

So each grand lodge can practice "Freemasonry" as they so wish? That would make the fraternal order as a whole a bit amorphous.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   

So each grand lodge can practice "Freemasonry" as they so wish?

Grand Lodges are autonomous, but have fraternal relations with each other through a process known as "recognition". If one Grand Lodge recognizes another, then Masons who hold obedience under the first Grand Lodge may visit Lodges under the obedience of the second, and vice versa.

If a particular Grand Lodge begins to stray away from Masonic traditions, they will lose their recognition by other Grand Lodges. A famous example is the Grand Orient of France, who lost its recognition when it changed its constitution to allow atheists to become members.

But Grand Lodges only have actual jurisdiction over its own territory. If the Grand Master of the UGLE were to visit the Grand Lodge of Missouri, he would be a welcome guest, but would have no Masonic authority in that jurisdiction.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join