It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happened to the LHC at CERN on Sept. 19th

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Don't know if this has been posted, but it is the Follow up report from CERN about what happened to the LHC. The report is technical but it beaks down like this.
There was a huge "quench".
Helium expands explosively when super-conducting wires became non super-conducting wires heating the helium and boiling it.
The exploding helium destroyed 10 tonne magnets. Yep, bang. Opps, there goes a ten tonne magnet. Here is their version.

and that the axial forces resulting from over-pressurization of the vacuum
enclosure exceeded the yield point of magnet supports, thus leading to their displacement
and secondary damage.
Oops, there goes 10 tonne magnet displacement and secondary damage!

Alot of helium must of escaped, so everyone at CERN was talking like they were living off of those ballons at a kids party.

The boys will be back on track in June hopefully, so those mini black holes that will destroy the world threads should start to appear again. Perhaps I should post that in Predidctions!

The first two new magnets have already been installed in their tunnel positions this week
in sector 3-4, as replacement for removed magnets. It is foreseen to complete re-
installation of all magnets in sector 3-4 by the end of March 2009. Interconnections work
will start beginning of February 2009, and will be completed by mid May 2009. After
final pressure tests and cooldown, the repaired sector will be available for powering by
the end of June 2009.
CERN PRESS RELEASE

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
wow. they need to scrap this until they can stop breaking those damn magnets.

alot of money being spent and they get hacked and then blow up their collider, seems like a bunch of little kids with a chemistry set to me.....

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Musta been a "mini black hole".

Not a one-liner

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

seems like a bunch of little kids with a chemistry set to me.....

I completely disagree. It's the most complex machinery ever built by mankind. Far from a "chemistry set." To those familiar with the project, set backs like this are not too surprising considering the complexity.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   
why would 8 billion dollars be spend on CERN to satisfy the curiosity of scientists. that kind of money, not counting the time involved, has to have some "return on investment". somehow this is never fully answered, so the logic of building and running CERN just doesn't make sense.
i have heard explanations of them, "finding the god particle", but for what reason? there has to be a payoff there somewhere, because i just don't buy their reasoning.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
My three year old grandson told me what happened. He said;

"It Bwoked, Granpa"

Zindo

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
its a large dr kevorkian suicide machine, and the whole planet is its patient. we are all gonna die when they fire this thing at full power.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

The data and breakthroughs made with this kind of a project are likely to be extremely profitable in some shape or form over the next 50 years. Thats why.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
why would 8 billion dollars be spend on CERN to satisfy the curiosity of scientists. that kind of money, not counting the time involved, has to have some "return on investment". somehow this is never fully answered, so the logic of building and running CERN just doesn't make sense.
i have heard explanations of them, "finding the god particle", but for what reason? there has to be a payoff there somewhere, because i just don't buy their reasoning.

What is money compared to kowledge?
If you understood what they mean by the "god particle", then that is a pretty good reason to try and find out. Imagine finding out how energy becomes matter, how the standard model comes into existence, via the theory of the Higgs Field. What if this is the first step in our learning how to create matter from energy? Massive implications for mankind. Massive. Who cares about money. Its just the agreed upon value that we Humans have put on the materials that where needed to search for the true natue of the universe. You may call it a price, others an investment in the truth.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

This is why I feel the entire experiement to too dangerous, mistakes likes this, or incidents like this, when crashing the atoms into each other could be the begining of catastrophic disaster.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

This accident had nothing to do with atoms smashing together. Besides, we have been smashing them together long before this.
I believe your fears are unfounded.

new topics

top topics

join