It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Place your TerrorBets People!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
In a move by the European Commission, in accordance to thier Preparatory Action Plan, to become more proactive in methods to thwart the security threats of today and in the foreseeable future, they have invited an innovative company to give a presentation of thier proposed project:TerrorBet.

TerrorBet Terror Futures Exchange Re-Opens for Pre-Registration

Brussels, Belgium (PRWEB) April 6, 2004 -- TerrorBet the world's first trading exchange to offer contracts on civil unrest events today re-opened for preregistration following its presentation to the European Commission in Brussels.

Supposedly, the main purpose of TerrorBet is data analysis through the use of or by the creation of a 'trading/trader' exchange, thus improving the "quality" of the results obtained.

Interestingly enough, this brings back memories of when the Pentagon wanted to create an online futures market where investors would bet on the probability of war, terrorism and other events. It was inevitably blasted by world opinion and the proposed plan was scrapped. I suppose all is well and good now and a European futures market, of the making as the Pentagon's proposal, is good to go. I guess the old adage that "timing is everything" is proving true...

Related Sources of Interest
TerrorBet Home Page
Bets Off on Terror Futures Index
Middle East futures market returns

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:14 PM
link   
oh no, not another speculative reason to make the market move...i dread the thought.

i don't think this is a good idea, same as the pentagon idea...some broker who puts all his money into a hedge might ending committing terrorism just to save his ass. Instead of brokers committing suicide by jumping from buildings...they might become even wackier now...oh i need to stop thinking...the ideas scare me.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:15 PM
link   
That is just the kind of garbage we need to keep the war on terror going on and on and on.

This is like investing money in the terrorists...if this is not a front for the global elite to propagate there one world government based on wars and terror and peoples fears id be very surprised...

only the sick greedy mind of a facist megalomaniac could think something like this up.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
This is actually an idea i presented to ATS quite a while back.

If you had jumped on it then you'd have gotten national press
hah!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
well from a nwo perspective this is genius. At first intel will be legitimate, crossing all state and boundry lines because of greed. Then when this gambling on the worlds stupidity is finally regulated enough, the nwo can make money of its own schemes. this will also help it control the world better through more companies and brokerages that do nothing but gamble on peoples lives.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This idea (same as the one the Pentagon was considering last year) is technically sound - anyone who has studied the financial markets will agree. People's opinions cover the whole map, but where people put their money is a fairly accurate predictor.

Is it 'moral' to do this? That's a tough question that everyone can waste a lot of time debating, and no one will convince anyone else to change his/her mind. The question I would ask is: which is morally justified, to use this tool which may save lives, or disallow it completely?

As to terrorists cashing in here by causing more more 'events', get real. Any winners will be getting visits by the feds - to arrest you if there IS a link, or if there wasn't, to learn why you were able to predict more accurately than they were. And maybe offer you a job.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   

[edit on 2004-7-2 by Teknik]

Q

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Bah. What a bunch of copycats. We already tried to do this, but the collective whining was too much to bear and the idea got canned. How come when it's our idea there's a torrent of moral outrage, but then they do it shortly thereafter and it's looked at as some amazing new thing they thought of theirselves?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Good find, Seeker. I remember the US got slammed over this. Wasn't this a John Poindexter idea that he resigned over? hmmm, the EU can do this and it's a great idea.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
of course the terrorists arent going to cash in on it but the damn global elite who help shape theese events will be able to cash in on it and no nsa or cia or fbi is going to knock on there doors because they are
ABOVE THE LAW!!!!!

If you support this kind of garbage your either one of them or your ignorant or your one of there unwitting pawns!

I dont care how intelligent people are or might seem to be ...some of the most intelligent people i ever met were as ignorant as hell

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I do SO enjoy being called ignorant by someone who writes like a third-grader. Here's what you meant to say:

"If you support this kind of garbage YOU'RE either one of them or YOU'RE ignorant or YOU'RE one of THEIR unwitting pawns!"

Not that that's an effective sentence anyway, but at least it's proper English.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Thanks, Seekerof...
Just what we need gambling on terrorism.
Obviously, anyone with insider info, and we know who THEY are, will make $$$$$$$.
Kinda reminds me of the coliseum, you just know the big shots in Rome were betting on which gladiator lasted the longest.

I wonder if we could somehow watch this futures market and predict a terrorist attack??

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Did a bit more digging on this and found that besides TerrorBet taking "terrorism futures market" into the private sector, there exists another:
TradeSports.com

I have linked to the page of interest concerning TradeSport.com. You will have to look under Current Events. Once clicked, you will see that there is a Homeland Security US, a CIA, a Middle East, and a Intl. Events area(s).

This article I also found mentions the ideology of these folks who are making "terrorism futures market" a thing of the future:

The private sector proprietors of "terrorism futures" say they are taking pains to avoid the Pentagon's mistakes. They have one advantage from the start: They aren't the Pentagon.

The difference is seemeingly this explanation:

Homeland security consultant Robbin Laird, who harbors his share of reservations about any kind of homeland futures market, said, "It's a bad idea for the government to be doing it. Private people are going to do it anyway. It's not like being a pedophile or something."

Wanna Bet? Terror Futures Market, Banned at Pentagon, Goes Private

I can see and hear the advertisements on this now:
Yes! You too can profit from Terrorism!

Is it wise or mere positive type greed that will ultimately cause people around the world to be able to bet on and predict Terrorism? All in the name and guise of "research and analysis".....*shakes head*
I suppose it was inevitable, eh?

seekerof

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by Seekerof]

top topics

join