It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS "Game" Idea: Political Simulation

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I had an idea for a game that I thought I should run by everyone here because it's related to the general theme of ATS so I figured it may catch some interest.

When I say "ATS Game", I'm not really referring to the usual style game that is done here at ATS (riddles, puzzles etc.). It's more along the lines of a role playing game.

In the past we've had the ATS Presidential elections where members could formulate policies, discuss them, and run for president. This game is similar to that idea, but on a more global level.

The idea is a political simulation game run in a role playing format. In basic terms, members who decide to join the game could choose one of the 192 UN recognized nations in the world to be the leader of.

The game could be run on a secondary forum either hosted by ATS or hosted on a third party server with ATS banners, links etc. It wouldn't be a typical 'video game' type game, but instead, a role playing game where everything is typed.

In game, the 'leaders' of the countries could decide their policies, interact with other countries, debate other leaders, sign treaties, negotiate foreign trade deals - basically everything real countries and leaders handle in the real world.

I run a similar game in my free time. It's small, and frankly, the players are incompetent; they don't know politics. So I thought I'd see if I could take that idea and incorporate it in to creating a game here at ATS where people know politics.

Should the game get going and get more than 192 players, or if all of the important countries are taken and no one has any interest in being countries like Botswana, we could simply have each leader pick prospective players to fill administration positions (Secretary/Minister of Defense, Vice President/Prime Minister etc.).

I'll cut the post off right here because I don't want people seeing how long it is and not reading it. So, what do you think?

I don't normally say this, but I'll make an exception: flag this if you think it's a good idea or are interested.

**Mods: This isn't an attempt to recruit for my other game. I want this to be run within ATS, if possible, with ATS approval.**

[edit on 12/21/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
I am Ireland.

We won't be holding another referendum on the Lisbon Treaty.

No means NO.

We will be basing half our National currency's value on gold next year. effectively immediately 25 percent.

To accomplish this, All banks and Monies distribution sources for the Euro have been instructed to mark each bill with the Irish Republic Seals they are currently being sent.

This will mark a Euro as an Irish Denomination and National Currency based partly on gold.

We are currently in discussions with other European States vis-a-vis the acceptance of this new currency. Only France and Belgium have Thus far Refused to accept it, though independent polls indicate that the voters in those countries are supportive if the New Irish Currency.

We have purchased twelve nuclear warheads and plan do so each year until we have an effective deterrent force.

All Pro Euro politicians in Ireland have been rounded up and placed in jails - pending charges of Treason.

Vladimir Putin will be visiting in February to negotiate the sale of missiles to project The Irish Republic's Nuclear deterrent into Target Areas. A mutual defense pact is also being discussed.

*Does the ATS Russian Representative agree?

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreemer

Thank you for the enthusiasm, but this thread is just to gage the interest level in such a game...

You've got the right idea though.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
I Really like this idea, and would love to see it hosted on ATS.

This type of game I think contributes to the quality of ATS, and so it definitely should be considered.

Would the timeline of the game be in "realtime" 2008/2009 with the current Economic and Global issues at the time of the game opening? (Did that make sense? Sorry I'm nodding off here...)

- Carrot

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Yes it could be in real time with real events, but that's not the only way it could be done.

See, there's two ways to take a game like this:

1: A real time game whose date corresponds with the real date and whose events are based on real events. Countries could then react to these events in their own unique ways based on their policies.

Or..

2: A realistic game in terms of time and events, but a game whose events are made up by the administrators of the game. For example, maybe France goes bankrupt instead of Iceland?; or maybe the South Ossetia War never ends?

The events could be based off of realistic events and could be realistic in nature, but they could also be unique in the sense that they only exist in our game, thus inspiring more strategy when it comes to reactions and policies in dealing with the events that occur.

There is alot that can be done with a game like this, no matter which of these two types are chosen. It really is a fun game to play. It not only gives you the opportunity to experience running a country and it's policies, but you also learn ALOT about that country.

The only "down side" to a game like this is everything has to be typed out; nothing is 'automatic', like in a real computer game. It all has to be manually managed.

But the up side the typing brings is the interaction; players can interact better. There are similar games out on the Internet that are browser based games, but they're managed automatically by the server and provide no interaction between players. It's not fun at all.

[edit on 12/22/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sounds like a great idea to me

Do I get first dibs on Lichtenstein? Or maybe I should just be Australia, thats easier

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

I'm game.

I'm Ireland.

Let's start in the new year, after we work out the rules.

We could use this thread for that.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
If anyone has any suggestions or ideas to add more to this, please feel free to post them. Also if anyone has any questions about the idea of this game, or need a more in-depth explanation of what the game would be like, please don't hesitate to ask.

I have the whole thing mapped out in my head mainly due to the fact I've already put a game like this together in the past, but for the sake of time and everyone's patience, I don't want to put it all out there right now unless asked to.

I've contacted one of the powers that be here at ATS for an official comment on the idea. Hopefully some mods or administrators will post here.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Here is a basic run-down of features that could be in the game:

News & Events

Sections of the forum dedicated to the different continents of the world for news and events (North America News, Europe News etc.).

Depending on what style of the game we decided to play, news and events, such as a terrorist attack, a riot or protest, assassination, and other stuff would be posted in these sections depending on what continent it occurred on.

As I said, depending on the style of the game we played, the news would either be real events that occurred in the real world, or they would be made up events, but still realistic in nature.

Alliances & Treaties

This section is where countries could discuss treaties or propose alliances.

For example, maybe you and another country want to sign an environmental treaty to cut down on emissions. You could negotiate that and take steps to cut down on emissions.

Or perhaps you want to establish a free trade agreement or build a union to one day erase your borders and re-write your constitution so you can be "the decider" of your new police state. You can do that too.

National Budget

Countries can manage a national budget. You can dedicate funding towards areas like defense, intelligence, security, education, health, and more.

Depending on how technical we got with that system, it would either be just basic funding towards a broad area like education, or it would be micromanaged and you could decide how much funding goes to public schools, how much goes towards school programs and so on.

Military

Ah, the fun part for those imperialists out there. You can manage your military, deploy soldiers, invade other countries....hell, you can even run a false flag operation to justify it all.

This part of the game is subject to dismissal though. It really depends on if this turns in to a full game or just a political relations type game.

Other Stuff

You can build embassies in countries where you don't have them. You can explore space. You can develop new cures for diseases. You can occupy third world countries. You can become a dictator and take away your people's freedoms. You can manipulate yours and others' economies. And best of all, you can boycott the United Nations.

It's all up to you!

That's all I've got for now. I don't want to make these posts too long. I've noticed people tend to not read long posts.

I've got plenty of ideas on how this game will be run and what features will be involved. We just need the support of a good number of members, and possibly some volunteers to help run it. But most of all, we need the approval of ATS.

I'll leave it at this for tonight. I hope more people read this as the day goes on and we can generate some interest!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
This is a really cool idea, Novus. I'd vote to base it on your suggestion:

1: A real time game whose date corresponds with the real date and whose events are based on real events. Countries could then react to these events in their own unique ways based on their policies.

I hope you get staff approval!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I hope you get staff approval!

That would be nice. It would help get things rolling.

Hopefully they've at least read the idea. I haven't heard anything so far.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I would be very interested in such a game. It sounds difficult to arbitrate though.

Would you be able to include elements of espionage and disinformation through controlled communication channels? I think that plays an element in the simulation you are trying to develop.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Count me in. I would prefer to join as the Independent Republic of Yorkshire if possible, but if not and its played strictly to the rules of real life, give me any old tin pot dictatorship such as the UK

Seriously, my first vote would be to disband the UK, immediately cease all budget allocation to Scotland and strike a trade agreement for the gas and oil thats in their terretorial waters only. Anything outside that becomes property of mine and its fair game how i get it. Lets see how they go about when they have to raise their own funds rather than being subsidized my the English.

All foriegn aid would be immediately cancelled and troops withdrawn from Iraq, although the troops in Afghanistan will remain. However, all budget savings from withdrawing from Iraq will be immediately spent on arms and improving the conditions food and equipment for our lads and lasses serving their country. Immigration would be immediately cancelled and we effectively close our borders.

For those already leaching off the system, unless you can show that you have paid into the system by way of NI contributions etc, your benefits are immediately terminated. Not only that, if your being housed by the councils you will be evicted within 90 days unless you obtain work. All medical benefits will also be immediately stopped for anyone over 16 who hasnt worked and contributed, unless a panel of experts confirm your needs are life threatening. Anyone wishing to leave will be gladly sent on their way.

We will immediately order 2 more aircraft carriers and auxillary ships, and proper ones at that, not the floating toys we have had in the past. I will seek UN approval for an immediate invasion of Zimbabwe, but will go in anyway even if refused. The SAS and RMC will have orders to remove Mugabe from office by force. Shoot on sight policy will be in place.

Tax breaks will be in place to increase our manufacturing base which has sadly died. We will start exporting to the world again rather than being a financial centre that relies on the rest of the world for its products. i will immediately ban all solicitors with the "where there is blame theres a claim" attitude as we are turning into a nation of leeches.

mandatory prison sentances will be introduced for offences. Eg, burglary, no physical harm to anyone, first offence, 2 years. Second offence, 4 years, 3rd offence 8 years and so on. Anyone caught carrying a knife, mandatory 5 year minimum sentance. If i have to build 20 more prisons to accomdate scumbags to benefit the rest of society, i will. Staffing them wont be an issue either as i will use the armed forces on a rota system and there will be NO Tv, dvd, playstations etc allowed in cells. Prison is a punishment, not a holiday break.

Britian will be strong and powerful again, both milatarily and industrially and we WILL be recognised as a world power with a strong economy and justice for all our citizens.

Good game this....Please can you all vote Expat in as supreme dictator for life

Viva El Presidente Expat

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The people will dismantle the evil regime of control and oppression!

Viva la Revolución!

- MaxMars

[edit on 23-12-2008 by Maxmars]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
Would you be able to include elements of espionage and disinformation through controlled communication channels?

Of course. All we really need is either an un-biased player as a moderator of the game or a moderator who is not participating in the game as a country.

It's simple, really. A country would plan their espionage or disinformation and submit it to the moderator.

To do espionage, what would need to be done is every country is given their own private section on the forum which only they can access and make them post all of their plans, vital information etc. there. The moderator would gather relevant information from that and pass it along to the country committing the espionage.

To do disinformation, what would need to be done is set up a special thread in every country's private section dedicated entirely to intelligence reports and things of that nature. Then the country creating the disinformation would pass it along to a moderator and the moderator would pass along the disinformation to countries involved or targeted by the disinformation.

There can be other factors too with both of these. You can't have Bangladesh and the United States having the same capabilities in espionage and disinformation, so you have a moderator(s) judge the capabilities and have those capabilities effect the reliability, accuracy, and effectiveness of the operations.

[edit on 12/23/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Wow, you really have given this some thought! I'm hoping this works out. I would suspect you need to give some thought as to how people would get into positions of 'power'. Perhaps even to the point of having 'cabinets' of players loyal to one faction or another - boy this can get complicated.

Any feedback from ATS, other than interested potential 'actors' in this venture?

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

Indeed it can get complicated, but it can also be quite simple as well. It all depends on how it's set up (obviously), but the level of difficulty can certainly be controlled.

For positions of power, we could have elections, but if we want to make it simple, we could have people just choose a country to lead. We could make it first come, first serve, so whoever chooses the United States first is the President of the United States.

For the cabinet, the players who are leaders of a country could name other ATS members to their cabinet positions. It could be like a cooperative game. You not only have to deal with other world leaders, but also people within your own government and country.

Each member of the cabinet could have their own policies and things like that to associate themselves with a certain faction. If we wanted to make it interesting, a cabinet member could have the ability to attempt some sort of coup or get their leader assassinated. Of course you can't have this being a daily occurrence, so you make it difficult to pull off, but it should be possible nonetheless.

There's a way to do just about everything in this game that is done in real world politics. It all depends on the difficulty level, though.

About the feedback, no, I haven't heard anything yet.

[edit on 12/23/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I think it is a very good idea but I have to point out that it is possible to set it up so that we start off at the current state of the world and then evolve, but it would not be possible IMO to have the game always follow the real world events since we will be making our own policies, which would have different outcomes.

For example, in our game Cuba and the US could end up as allied (depending on how the players handle it). In that scenario it would be impossible for our game to keep up with real world events related to US-Cuban relations, etc.

We also would no need anyone to "create" events because our actions will have reactions so I am sure that there will be plenty of events developing all the time.

Good luck with getting this started and I would like to help if I can. Just let me know.

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by gnothiseauton

From experience, it is indeed better to not base the game entirely off of real world events, but instead, just use them as a basis for ideas. Basically just take a real world example and simulate it in a custom way. Thats why I prefer the #2 set-up.

However, it is possible to do #1, just not as exciting and not as customizable.

Events can be created, though. As you pointed out, 'consequence' type events, or reactions to different player actions, make up the majority of the events that occur. And believe me, it's great for punishing people that make stupid moves
. But every now and then it's fun to throw in a random event, just to stir things up a bit.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I believe you are right. It would certainly be interesting to introduce a "natural disaster" every now and then and see how people handle it.

I sure hope this idea takes off because it sounds very interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join