It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Civil rights - a LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE achievement?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
YES I am serious...

Did conservatives ( not Republicans ) stand for or against civil right for AA citizens?

or

Did liberals ( not Democrats ) stand for or against civil rights?

I started this thread because I have just had a very strange experience with another individual here.

The person was making the assertion that LIBERALS were against the civil rights movement in the 60's.

I make the assertion that the civil rights movement was a LIBERAL movement.

MLK was a republican yes.

Conservative????????????????????????????

( my blood pressure is going up in anticipation )

I would like some opinions, facts and LOGIC!

and please, if you have an opinion participate!

Thank you all!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Does it matter...?...and if so why?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
It was the conservative Democrats or Dixiecrats if you will that where against it and it was the then liberal wing of the republican party that helped drive the passage of the bills needed. The parties themselves actualy had nothing to do with it. The ideals of both seem to have switched places over the last 40 years or so. But the New deal FDR folks started the movement for the parties. They crossed over many timesto delve into the problem. It would be hard to actualy put the blame or the honor on either!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
hard to say. But, if i had to choose i would say more liberals.
I really think it was just people. liberal and conservative.

people say conservative because mlk was a republican. but back then republicans were more liberal than democrats. don't know when that switched or why.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I think it was the white conservatives that were so opposed to the change represented by the civil rights movement.

It makes sense - can anyone else extrapolate the same logic from the below definition?

CONSERVATIVE
adj.
1.Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

www.answers.com...

Does this next definition seem to explain the anti civil rights stance?

lib·er·al (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.
a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Anyhow this thread is a bit laughable, but I have come to understand that
people do not seem to understand what ideology they profess to follow.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moose Head

Because it matters to me...

Is that good enough?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
It was the conservative Democrats or Dixiecrats if you will that where against it and it was the then liberal wing of the republican party that helped drive the passage of the bills needed. The parties themselves actualy had nothing to do with it. The ideals of both seem to have switched places over the last 40 years or so. But the New deal FDR folks started the movement for the parties. They crossed over many timesto delve into the problem. It would be hard to actualy put the blame or the honor on either!

Zindo

No blame is needed... I just wanted to see if I am batty.

thank you.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
The Bill of Rights was introduced by James Madison Jr..

Which party was he you ask?

Democrat-Republican

Who was the president at the time?

Thomas Jefferson - Democrat-Republican

The Democratic–Republican Party was founded by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison about 1792. Supporters usually identified themselves as Republicans,[1] but sometimes as Democrats.[2] The term "Democratic Republican" was also used by contemporaries, but mostly by the party's opponents.[3] It was the dominant political party in the United States from 1800 to 1824, when it split into competing factions, one of which became the modern Democratic Party.

So the question itself is ironic considering how twisted and manipulated the party lines have become since their era.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Lets see here. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican, One of the first if memory serves. He seems to have had a hand in the movement. I'd say he was pretty darn conservative since he started the war of northern aggression to keep things from changing.

At the same time he made changes that were profound.

Being very liberal I hate to say this, but I think conservatives make the changes needed when they need to be made while liberals scream for the feel good changes of the moment.

A conservative will drill a hole right through a polar bears skull to get you the oil you need to stay warm in the winter while a liberal will scream that the land, bear and momma nature herself are more important than keeping our children warm.

I think both the liberals and the conservatives contributed to the civil rights movement. It was the right thing to do at the time.

They just contributed in different ways.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

Could you take it further...

Were liberal folks for or against civil rights, generally speaking?

I want to determine if it is a widely held belief that LIBERALS - specifically -
opposed civil rights.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

OK... So do you believe that liberals were against the civil rights movement?

Or better put which ideology was fighting against the civil rights movement?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Something to read...

archive.newsmax.com...

Democrats do themselves no good by taking credit for the civil rights movement or for legislation that came out of it. If they do that, they also must take the blame for the failures of the policies of dependence which they created and which choked the life out of the African-American culture and family life.

If African-Americans ever do vote for Republicans or conservatives, I hope they do so because they finally realize that though conservatives don't have all the answers, they do have enough faith in people to allow them the freedom to find the answers for themselves.

archive.newsmax.com...

A conservative take on things thanks to the fellow.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

That right there is exactly why I switched from 30 years of being a Democrat to Republican and then to the Libertarians. The Republicans have started to act and legislate like those liberals noted in that piece.

Zindo

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion
reply to post by mrwupy

OK... So do you believe that liberals were against the civil rights movement?

Or better put which ideology was fighting against the civil rights movement?

Good people from both sides were fighting for the civil rights movement.

Good people from both sides were fighting against it.

It was a war of perspective and thankfully the right side won. The old ways and thoughts fell to the side. (somewhat)

This is a silly argument. There were liberals who fought for civil rights and liberals who faught against them. The same goes for conservatives. You want to place everyone in either one basket or the other.

Life doesn't work like that.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

Liberals are historically and a majority in that they promote liberty, I.E. your personal freedoms which were endowed to you when born in America.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Is that good enough?

Bald i didnt even realize it was you....i was trying to get a rise...

and yes if its important to you...its good enough....

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

Liberals are historically and a majority in that they promote liberty, I.E. your personal freedoms which were endowed to you when born in America.

That is by far the most ridiculous statement I have read in a very, very long time.

If you or I or anyone says something that is politically incorrect a Liberal will be on you like stink on a jobjohnny.

Liberals will not tolerate ANYTHING that is politically incorrect. YOU must absolutely toe the liberal line or they will destroy you. They are the thought police that look for any public figure to say something that just might offend someone, somewhere, and then they go after them.

Free thought is an abomination to all that are liberal. You MUST be politically correct or you are to be damned and destroyed.

Conservatives are the ones who say you have the right to free speech.

Liberals will choke you to death for saying something their committee hasn't approved.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy

Originally posted by Yoda411

That is by far the most ridiculous statement I have read in a very, very long time.

If you or I or anyone says something that is politically incorrect a Liberal will be on you like stink on a jobjohnny.

Liberals will not tolerate ANYTHING that is politically incorrect. YOU must absolutely toe the liberal line or they will destroy you. They are the thought police that look for any public figure to say something that just might offend someone, somewhere, and then they go after them.

Free thought is an abomination to all that are liberal. You MUST be politically correct or you are to be damned and destroyed.

Conservatives are the ones who say you have the right to free speech.

Liberals will choke you to death for saying something their committee hasn't approved.

Being very liberal I hate to say this, but I think conservatives make the changes needed when they need to be made while liberals scream for the feel good changes of the moment.

Something tells me you are not liberal like you say...

lib·er·al (lbr-l, lbrl)
adj.
a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Why is the antithesis of your analysis serve as the definition of liberal in any dictionary???

"Liberals will not tolerate ANYTHING that is politically incorrect."

HEY I would tolerate gay marriage, detainee rights, doctor assisted suicide, shoe worship and giant tit statue besides the freeway...
certainly not PC issues.

I guess I am a conservative

I think you can do better...

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Is that good enough?

Bald i didnt even realize it was you....i was trying to get a rise...

and yes if its important to you...its good enough....

Thanks bud

I'm just trying to understand something that can never make any sense.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
No need to explain Bald...like i said i was trying to get a rise out of someone...and didnt notice who had posted it...but it seems like ive been doing it a little to often and was repremanded by the mods...lol...

I would participate in the thread Bald.....but i have nothing to add as i am not familiar with the topic on hand.....gives me something to research though.....

Happy quest............

top topics

<<   2 >>

join