It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Democrats like their weapons" - Harry Reid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Reid is trying to hold onto his position and his strategy is to stay away from touchy issues and stay close to his constituents in Nevada.

So from Reid:

Reid, who was endorsed in 2004 by the National Rifle Association and has opposed a ban on assault weapons, also attributes Democrats’ recent Western success in part to candidates’ unabashed support of gun rights.

We get:

“We don’t run from it anymore,” Reid said, adding, “Democrats like their weapons."

How does this jive with the urban dems of the coasts who loved the AWB and wich to see it return stronger than ever knowing the majority leader opposes it?

Does this make anyone fearing an Obama AWB feel any better?

Personally, it doesnt make me feel any better.

Reids plan to stay

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
It doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. Reid is just spouting re-election rhetoric.

The coastal urban Dems don't vote for him - he doesn't care what they think. Nevada, otoh, is still part of the wild wild west.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Nope, don't feel any better. Going to go ahead and ignore Obamas advice and buy some shiny new 'assault rifles' and stock up on the ammo.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
the last time I felt this good... I sat on a porkupine.

the Dems have made a big deal about not being concerned about weapons... that's usually when they will change regs and make a mess of everything.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I was looking at Obamas cabinet choices and Napolitano and Richardson are both on record saying the AWB is complete garbage and that existing laws are more than enough. If the head of DHS thinks more gun laws are absurd I must admit that my panic level drops from a 12 to an 11.5 on a scale of 1-10. Reids statement, albeit re-election rhetoric, does contribute to this easing.

I wonder, what does that say about me?

It would be nice for the short term if a bunch of people did calm down so I can get better prices on some ammo and mags though
Panic doesnt bode well for a buyers market.

It's still an uphill battle that shouldnt have to be fought in the first place for gun owners and if I ever get within arms reach of Biden I will slap him for the AWB I had to suffer under under for 10 years.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

The cabinet picks actually do ease my concern a bit. A very tiny bit. I think I'm at about the same place you are. The cabinet picks are good ammo for us to use against Obama if the time comes.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Reid has been pretty consistent about gun rights.

The idea that Democrats represent some monolithic bloc of anti-gunners is spread by Republicans & conservatives who are afraid they're going to lose gun owners' votes unless they scare the hell out of them with "the Democrats will take your guns" rhetoric

Obama isn't going to touch gun control with a ten foot pole.

Basically what he said before the election, and what he's kept on saying since: he thinks it's something states and municipalities should decide on, not the federal government.

I'm actually letting my NRA membership lapse, because I've become pretty disgusted with the BS & misinformation they've been spreading lately.

I thought the NRA was supposed to be there to protect my Second Amendment rights, not to shill for a particular political party or ideology.

top topics

join