It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DAYWORKER CENTERS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Every morning on our way to work we stop off for coffee at 7-11.....and every morning I sit and stare at the 2-3 illegal immigrants leaning against the building waiting for someone to drive up and employ them for the day. A little further down the same street there is a equipment rental store. There are at least 20-30 men standing along the street doing the same thing....day in....day out. In my sheltered little world (haha) I thought this only happened in the town I live in, so when I heard that the city was planning on building these folks a "DAYWORKER CENTER" I was a little annoyed but figured it went hand in hand with community outreach. Last night on the news I saw a segment about a home depot store (in Fla. I think) that also has a dayworker center.

WHAT THE HECK IS THAT! These workers are here illegally to begin with and now we're gonna build them a nice little center they can park their asses in all day to keep them out of the weather. This is from my local paper:

The cost to the Dayworker Committee to put the portables in place, hook them up to the city utility systems and some parking expense is estimated by the committee to be $200,000. An outside eating area for the men, a storage unit, remodeling and adding bathrooms and windows would be an extra $35,000 to $50,000.

I am disgusted by it......any thoughts?:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Yes - this is a terrible idea. These people should be picked up by immigration and deported. It is an outrage to build a center to support and condone illegal immigration. Im sorry, I am not a racist or prejudice, but thats just wrong. Legal immigrants - fine. Illegals - no dice!!

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamrebel
Yes - this is a terrible idea. These people should be picked up by immigration and deported. It is an outrage to build a center to support and condone illegal immigration. Im sorry, I am not a racist or prejudice, but thats just wrong. Legal immigrants - fine. Illegals - no dice!!

I agree.
This is from a San Jose newspaper regarding another center :

The city gave the project $1 million from the Healthy Neighborhood Venture Fund, and the city manager's office and the redevelopment agency will help the center market its day workers to employers.

While the center is not an employment agency, the goal is to draw employers there and, as a result, attract day workers who often hang out on the streets hoping to find jobs, said Dave Gonzales, services director.

Services are provided in English, Spanish and Vietnamese.

The center, which has seen 50 to 100 workers a day since it opened late last year, usually finds jobs for only 10 to 30 a day, Gonzales said. But instead of going back out on the streets, the workers who aren't employed can spend the day at the center, get free meals and showers, learn computer skills and take ESL classes.

OH MY GOD! Apparently I really do live in a bubble or something because I had no idea this has been going on all over the US. The more research I do....the more upset I get. :bash:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I have an idea, why don't we just tell them to go # themselves.

Why is it that everytime someone has a rough go of life people in power want to give out MY DAMN MONEY to hook them up.

I for one am getting tired of paying for things that have no right being done in the first place.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
I have an idea, why don't we just tell them to go # themselves.

Why is it that everytime someone has a rough go of life people in power want to give out MY DAMN MONEY to hook them up.

I for one am getting tired of paying for things that have no right being done in the first place.

I can't believe what I'm reading! Are we agreeing on this issue KJ?

What really ticks me off is the way these news articles make it out like this is a wonderful thing for these poor people! I have never been unemployed so i'm not positive but............where are all the daycenters for legal residents? I want a free lunch and some free classes.......where do i sign up?:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I know, shocking.

I am all about immagration, but this illegal situation has me steamed up to all hell.

Lock down the border.

Do it now.
Do it decisively.
Do it for your country you vote grubbing vaginas.

You give the racial witchhunters POWER by bowing to their Bull# and letting them push their agenda across the PC battlefield of America.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Dayworker centers would make it easy for immigration to pick them up. Just drive up the bus and say you need lots of workers who want to make ten bucks an hour.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Here's another twist:

penalties for employers that knowingly hire unauthorized aliens:

For a first offense, the penalty is between $250 and $2,000 for each unauthorized alien.

For a second offense, the cost is $2,000 to $5,000 each.

For subsequent offenses, the price tag is between $3,000 and $10,000.

These fines increase if the INS determines that an employer is engaging in a pattern of hiring illegal aliens; punishment can even include imprisonment.

Is this country really this stupid!!!!

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Dayworker centers would make it easy for immigration to pick them up. Just drive up the bus and say you need lots of workers who want to make ten bucks an hour.

Ya but......................they'd probably catch on to that the first day.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Venus

Originally posted by groingrinder

Ya but......................they'd probably catch on to that the first day.

Maybe, maybe not.

You got to stick and move, stick and move.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Is that anything like tuck and roll....tuck and roll?

top topics

join