It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The coming attack on ATS by MSM

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by Yoda411

Yes I do , I think its a crime the way pop culture will dress up preteen girls as prostitutes and then put them on display for public consumption . In my mind thats a sign of mental illness . But we don't see the MSM bring out there PHD's to discuss that topic , in fact we only see it perpetuated .

As much as I am enjoying this debate I must go and get ready for work .
Please feel free to think or write whatever you like in the mean time

Is that mental illness not further perpetuated by those whom support it?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

You mean like the douchebags with PHD's (debunked by a high school physics teacher) running around NIST trying to tell people that fire and a single column failing causes free fall collpase and that rag heads in caves knocked down 3 buildings in one day, so on an so forth...

The MSM will check facts.. but not all the time. They don't really hit stories which need them to half the time anyway... the stories that count, the things that really matter. They are just an illusion to keep your world looking rosy.

MSM would attack sites like ATS because they are LOOSING viewers to the internet. More and more people are 'switching on' to the fact that the world is not as portrayed via electronic heroin. More and more people are waking up to sept 11... more and more to the rubbish and tripe that is forced through peoples minds every day.

[edit on 16/12/08 by GhostR1der]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by GhostR1der
reply to post by Yoda411

You mean like the douchebags with PHD's (debunked by a high school physics teacher) running around NIST trying to tell people that fire and a single column failing causes free fall collpase and that rag heads in caves knocked down 3 buildings in one day, so on an so forth...

I would appreciate keeping 9/11 out of the discussion as it is a totally different subject. The people at NIST are working for the government. The people at ABC are working for a corporation.

Edit: The individuals with Ph.D.'s in this story are working for neither of the two.

[edit on 12/16/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by Yoda411

Yes I do , I think its a crime the way pop culture will dress up preteen girls as prostitutes and then put them on display for public consumption . In my mind thats a sign of mental illness . But we don't see the MSM bring out there PHD's to discuss that topic , in fact we only see it perpetuated .

As much as I am enjoying this debate I must go and get ready for work .
Please feel free to think or write whatever you like in the mean time

Is that mental illness not further perpetuated by those whom support it?

Here is a really cool thing.

Those of us who spend alot of time online tend to not be big television watchers.

That is a big step in not perpetuating *it*

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Yoda411

Hold on.

They have PHDs and are portrayed by the media as a factual and accurate source, which they are most definitely not. The media has NOT done fact checking and their own research into evidence they [NIST] present.. so how is that not related?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I think you would be surprised my position on Internet Censorship and similar subjects. This is not what I am debating on the side of.

Let me re-state this question to be more specific.

If pre-teen beauty pageants are a result of mental illness, would individuals who support beauty pageants be contributing to the perpetuation of this mental illness?

Under the proposed circumstances, my opinion would be yes.

So let's look at the question at hand once again.

If being delusional is a mental disorder [which it is], are conspiracy web sites which further support that individual's delusions contributing to the perpetuation of the individual's mental disorder?

My personal opinion would be yes.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Yoda411

Hold on.

They have PHDs and are portrayed by the media as a factual and accurate source, which they are most definitely not. The media has NOT done fact checking and their own research into evidence they [NIST] present.. so how is that not related?

NIST works for the government, and therefor will tell you what the government wants you to be told at the press conference.

It doesn't relate to this article because nobody involved works for the government.

I will not repeat this connection again, so please.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yoda411,

You do assume far too much. You believe that those who do not think in whatever manner you do, must be mentally ill. (whereas I'm being generous when I say that, because you sound like someones agent to me).

Do you have a liscence for diagnosis of mental illness. And for anyone, anywhere that goes off the deep end and does something criminal, and also is a member of ATS, then I would wonder the statistics involved in criminals having watched mainstream news. Much higher percentage I imagine.
Actually, I find the sanity of those accepting mainstream news and sources, without researching further on their own to be highly questionable.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by mystiq
Yoda411,

You do assume far too much. You believe that those who do not think in whatever manner you do, must be mentally ill. (whereas I'm being generous when I say that, because you sound like someones agent to me).

Do you have a liscence for diagnosis of mental illness. And for anyone, anywhere that goes off the deep end and does something criminal, and also is a member of ATS, then I would wonder the statistics involved in criminals having watched mainstream news. Much higher percentage I imagine.
Actually, I find the sanity of those accepting mainstream news and sources, without researching further on their own to be highly questionable.

I do not believe those who disagree with me are mentally ill. For example, MANY of you disagree with my opinion on this subject matter and I far from assume you to be mentally ill.

The basis for my argument in support of the article surrounds delusions and paranoia. Both of which I believe we can obtain examples of throughout this forum.

The question is how far do individuals take these concepts? How long do they believe them, and have they replaced their personal reality with them?

I don't think its far-fetched in any way to think someone has visited this forum and walked away paranoid. I also don't think it's far-fetched to imagine someone has visited this forum and walked away with an altered (and false) sense of reality by believing unfounded theories.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   

So then let me state something else.

The MSM does fact-checking.

You can quote me on that one.

Can you please tell me what facts were given by ABC in there story on conspiracy sites being bad for the mentally ill? The reason it bothered me was the complete lack of facts of any kind. Apparently I missed some?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

So called experts may be a dime a dozen but Psychologists require at the very minimum a PhD. So what are your credentials to question them?

People absolutely have the right to believe what they want. With that said, do you believe there is no line between reality and delusion?

Under the authority of psychiatry, some individuals hold beliefs which are [in fact] delusional and promoted by some on ATS.

Seems like you and the psychologists know EXACTLY what reality is.

I'm impressed. Science isn't even sure about the ins and outs of reality but you and the psychologists know the truth.

Funny, my psychologist knows all about my obsession with conspiracies and has never said a negative word about it. In fact we've discussed a few conspiracies that he believes in. Btw, he's a Harvard trained Phd.

Vas

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   

reply to post by Yoda411

I would appreciate keeping 9/11 out of the discussion as it is a totally different subject. The people at NIST are working for the government. The people at ABC are working for a corporation.

Edit: The individuals with Ph.D.'s in this story are working for neither of the two.

[edit on 12/16/08 by Yoda411]

OH REALLY?

So you don't think they were paid to be on ABC?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

vas

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Delusion is a very subjective term, thats the problem. And a system that allows only credentials to dictate an understanding of reality is fascist. While it may seem delusional to you for one to support any number of threads on conspiracy sites, someone else may find it delusional to set aside your intelligence and buy into a system of lies without questioning it. As I said on the other thread, and this is the end of the credibility or fact checking of the mainstream media: Oklahoma declared sovereignity. How credible was the source? I downloaded the pdf document for the Oklahoma gov website. This was world class news of unprecedented proportion. Its also an example of controlled fascist media versus truth.

In the end, when it wasn't reported in the mainstream media, I contacted a couple of the major ones in my country and complained about the quality of their service and gave details.
I suggest everyone do things like that.

I certainly wouldn't leave 911 out of it, since its one of the major conspiracies talked about nonstop.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth

OH REALLY?

So you don't think they were paid to be on ABC?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

vas

You do realize being interviewed by the media doesn't necessarily put money in your wallet right?

Seems like you and the psychologists know EXACTLY what reality is.

I'm impressed. Science isn't even sure about the ins and outs of reality but you and the psychologists know the truth.

Funny, my psychologist knows all about my obsession with conspiracies and has never said a negative word about it. In fact we've discussed a few conspiracies that he believes in. Btw, he's a Harvard trained Phd.

Vas

Are you to argue that nobody is delusional because nobody knows what reality is? I would inquire you to investigate that matter further.

Also, nobody is arguing that everybody is paranoid, psychotic, or delusional just because they are into conspiracy theories.

I would invite you to read the entire thread before contributing.

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

So then let me state something else.

The MSM does fact-checking.

You can quote me on that one.

Can you please tell me what facts were given by ABC in there story on conspiracy sites being bad for the mentally ill? The reason it bothered me was the complete lack of facts of any kind. Apparently I missed some?

Can you read?
I always have to do your research for you and it's getting quite old. Sorry for being rude, but seriously.

MacDonald cautioned that not everyone who believes in a conspiracy plot is mentally ill. They just may be suggestible or just suspicious of authority.

That's one of several facts mentioned in the article.

I would also like to raise this point once again, since you continue to forget it. The title of the article is not "ATS makes you mentally ill". I would suggest you read it once more.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
Please tell me when the exception started proving the rule. Every news group receives thousands of leads everyday. They then have to go through all of these and find out which ones are legitimate and which ones are not. They are human so it is only expected for a mistake to slip through every once and a while. This doesn't mean that they haven't thoroughly checked every other story just because they slip up every one in a million times.

There were no facts to be checked! Why are supporters of this stepping over this rather key element about this so called news article. It had no facts in it. It is one thing to let a wrong 'fact' slip by but to put out a story that has none in it seems rather easy to catch.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

reply to post by Max_TO

Just for the record the ABC article included interviews with two accredited psychologists.

Who gave us the following facts to remember...

not a one line post

[edit on 16-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   

MacDonald cautioned that not everyone who believes in a conspiracy plot is mentally ill. They just may be suggestible or just suspicious of authority.

Ahhh, now I get it. How is that a fact? What is factual in that sentence?

It is opinion and nothing more. I think you should stop posting dictionary.com definitions to people now.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Are you to argue that nobody is delusional because nobody knows what reality is? I would inquire you to investigate that matter further.

Also, nobody is arguing that everybody is paranoid, psychotic, or delusional just because they are into conspiracy theories.

I would invite you to read the entire thread before contributing.

Yes that is what I am say. I believe most mentally ill people are in tune with a different reality but that does not make that reality any less real. You are aware that "reality" if just bio-electric signal that are supposedly coming from your "senses" and creating a reality that exists only inside of your head. You can never know that what is inside your head has any basis "outside" of you. This is BASIC philosophy.

btw yoda, are you a mod? No I didn't think so. So how about letting me decide when I will contribute?

Actually that last comment you made about contributing sums up why I hate you. You come off as the kind of person that tells others what they must believe.

Vas

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

Ahhh, now I get it. How is that a fact? What is factual in that sentence?

It is opinion and nothing more. I think you should stop posting dictionary.com definitions to people now.

First of all we would all appreciate it if you can stop flooding threads. Contribute your opinion all you want, but they integrated the edit button for a reason.

Additionally, you are attempting to debate that conspiracy theorists are not suggestible or suspicious of authority?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vasilis Azoth
Yes that is what I am say. I believe most mentally ill people are in tune with a different reality but that does not make that reality any less real. You are aware that "reality" if just bio-electric signal that are supposedly coming from your "senses" and creating a reality that exists only inside of your head. You can never know that what is inside your head has any basis "outside" of you. This is BASIC philosophy.

btw yoda, are you a mod? No I didn't think so. So how about letting me decide when I will contribute?

Actually that last comment you made about contributing sums up why I hate you. You come off as the kind of person that tells others what they must believe.

Vas

You hate me because I believe a human brain is subjective to delusion, where as you believe all delusional people are part of an alternative reality?

Wow. Where to begin?

May I ask why you see a psychiatrist, and your diagnosis?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join