It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists extract images directly from the brain

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Scientists extract images directly from the brain

www.slipperybrick.com

In what could be the first step toward recording your dreams, researchers from Japan’s ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed new brain analysis technology that can reconstruct the images inside a person’s mind and display them on a computer monitor. That means it won’t be long before you can share your thoughts and dreams with others the way you share your flickr pics. They’ve successfully displayed simple images produced in the human brain on a computer screen.

The device converts electrical signals sent to the visual cortex into images that can be viewed on a computer screen. In the experiment, they showed test subjects the six letters in the word neuron and successfully reconstructed the word on screen by measuring brain activity.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.telegraph.co.uk
nathan.torkington.com

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
here is another article mentioning the same technology:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

A spokesman at ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories said: "It was the first time in the world that it was possible to visualise what people see directly from the brain activity.

"By applying this technology, it may become possible to record and replay subjective images that people perceive like dreams." The scientists, lead by chief researcher Yukiyaso Kamitani, focused on the image recognition procedures in the retina of the human eye.

It is while looking at an object that the eye's retina is able to recognise an image, which is subsequently converted into electrical signals sent into the brain's visual cortex.

The research investigated how electrical signals are captured and reconstructed into images, according to the study, which will be published in the US journal Neuron.

I find this fascinating, and horrifying, all at the same time. While i opens up all sorts of new possibilities, it also paves the way for true thought crimes. Seriously. Imagine worrying about people being able to see what you are thinking about. This could get crazy.

But alas, in the name of science, I would rather embrace the technology than shun it into the darkest corners. The conspiracy angle on this tells me that it's been in use for at least a decade, and only now was it allowed to go public, but that's speculation reserved for ATS, and whatever discussion comes of this.

www.slipperybrick.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
It's already being discussed here.
Not a one liner.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Pretty Insane...and cool i guess...

Soon we will be arrested for dreaming about crimes...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
more info on ATR International, Computational Neuroscience Laboratories via the official website:

www.cns.atr.jp...

Humans can modify their behaviors depending on the environment. This ability is essential for surviving in fluctuating circumstances. Our research started with attempting to understand various brain mechanisms, including vision and motor systems, which support the adaptive behavior changes.

Our long-term goal is to understand how human intelligence and abilities of communication emerged from combination and hierarchical organization of the above mechanisms. We want to know the mechanisms to the extent that machines, either computer programs or robots, could solve the same computational problems as those that human brains solve, while using essentially the same principles (i.e., a definition of "Computational Neuroscience").

and this is from another official site regarding "Decoding brain signals"

Neural decoding allows us to predict mental contents from measured brain signals. Our group develops computational techniques for the decoding of human brain signals, and studies information coding in the human brain. Our goal is to establish novel communication technology that directly connects the brain and the machine using decoded neural information.

From mind-reading to brain-machine interface

Brain signals can be seen as the 'codes' that encode our mental experience. To decipher the codes, we combine neuroscience and the methods of machine learning. We aim to develop decoding techniques that capture the subtlety of our mental experience, and to apply them to build brain-machine interfaces that control machines using decoded information.

.. followed by a link for job opportunities...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
It's already being discussed here.
Not a one liner.

ah, thanks.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Alucard Hellsing

Looks like I will need to stop watching CSI.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Wow this makes the other thread about Anti Christ being an AI seem more feasible.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
So we're all going to be locked up for the crimes that we all think about on a weekly basis?

Nice. Thanks for that, NWO. I can see it coming now.

Just because I think about something, doesn't mean that I am going to act upon it! My behavioural inhibitor chip still works fine, thanks.

It's a scary future, when we know that the best aspects of this technology will be put to the worst uses, by evil men.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I just hope they never show my dreams to my wife

That would be bad

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

That would be bad

Why would it? she can feel you

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   

That would be bad

Ha! On a different note, is your wife worth dreaming about! Haha!

I can imagine some future divorce courts, where an upset wife plays her husband's video-dreams as evidence to a judge...

Here's a healthy tip to all the wives out there (including mine!): You're often NOT the centre of your man's dreams at night!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

That would be bad

Ha! On a different note, is your wife worth dreaming about! Haha!

I can imagine some future divorce courts, where an upset wife plays her husband's video-dreams as evidence to a judge...

Here's a healthy tip to all the wives out there (including mine!): You're often NOT the centre of your man's dreams at night!

I think he kind off implied that he doesn't dream about his wife. I was thinking why would she care if she has to be next to him every night. Oh the pain.

I dont dream about my husband in my dreams all the time lol. How about that for a can off worms.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
I think he kind off implied that he doesn't dream about his wife.

Yeah, I know.

That's why I asked him if his wife is worth dreaming about! He may not dream about her, but other men certainly might!!!

If you're going to be caught dreaming with this technology, then the odds are that you're going to be dreaming about someone else's wife!!!

Well, in your case - someone else's husband.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Well I think it would be cool to see the first images!
I would like to know if it's going to make video recording possible or just images?

[edit on 12-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Well I think it would be cool to see the first images!\

check here:

www.chunichi.co.jp...

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Cool thanks but does this mean I dream in Japanese?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The implications of this could be absolutely wonderful or absolutely scary depending on who is using the technology. Judging by the way the world is heading, this is really FKN scary.

Now if we could only hook this up Rothchild's and the other families in the NWO who need to get laid outside their own incestuous family, then we will know what pure evil looks like in pictures.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
reply to post by Alucard Hellsing

Looks like I will need to stop watching CSI.

Yeah man, try Fringe, start from episode 1, there is already 10 to catch up on you can download, you know where from, right

The stuff in that will literally blow your mind.

KABOOM!
Just kidding.....

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
So we may not be too far away from uploading our consciousness. Digitally live forever. Would be a little interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join