It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New racist web browser!!!!!

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

Thank you for your post and opinion

Please understand, my comments about someone else deciding when to close as thread was aimed directly at "poet of deception", not you.

I agree with you, that the issue of black music and who owns the rights is a topic for another thread.

I do thank you, however, for being clear about ending the side discussion and not the topic.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
African Americans are not "racist" or "contributing to racism" or bringing back the "segregation" they fought so hard against by having the BET channel and other things mentioned. African Americans were/are giving themselves the representation that was/is missing in America. Blacks like many others to follow (women, gays, latins) had no representation on television, so they created shows and channels that represented them.

They are not the only people in the world to do this so why the singling out of blacks?? There are channels dedicated to women's programming, because there was an under representation of female oriented shows, so women went out and created their own network to represent women and shows from a woman's perspective. Are these women then prejudice against men? Latin Americans were/are under represented so they also created their own television networks and shows so that they were represented and had shows to watch and enjoy and identify with, I suppose they are racist too?. Gays are under represented so gays created shows that they could enjoy and identify with but, they MUST be prejudice then right?

All minorities are under represented in American culture past and present. Blacks, Asians, Latins, Gays, Women etc. They have had to create their own avenues in order to have representation in our culture. This has nothing to do with prejudice or segregation it has to do with equality as they are seeking equal representation. It's an incredible dismay that individuals such as the poster (with his sensationalize wording of the post title might I add) and those who agree with him are obviously not cognezant of the fact that posts in this likeness and comments in agreement nothing more than put on display your own intellectual shortcomings and common ignorance. You are not making the subject (blacks) of the topic look bad, you're making yourself/selves look bad.

Minorities of all races, sexes and sexual orientations have had to forge their own path to gain representation in American culture for decades, creating their own shows, networks, radio stations, magazines etc yet people always single out blacks then throw racist or "contributing to segration" into their ignorant speech. It's always made into a black and white subject matter as if none of the other minorities who have done the exact same thing i.e women, gays, latins etc do not exist. Again, it only shows your own ignorance and lack of intelligence.

There has been a female oriented search engine for five years. I suppose when that emerged you all also went around raging "sexist search engine" because obviously women are prejudice against men for creating a female oriented search engine correct?

And what's more, other than the female oriented search engine there also exists a Latin American search engine and Asian American search engine, so do yourself a favor and keep up with current news because this is not the first or last search engine of its kind. If you ask me, you're the racist. Anyone who goes around singling out racially based topics to make one race look bad is himself a racist. Even children are intelligent enough to know this, that's why the elementary school saying "he who smelled it, dealt it" is so popular. It may be elementary but holds true in society. As homophobes are often themselves fighting homophobic urges or are homosexuals.

Yesterday I picked up a skateboard magazine, I suppose there will be a riot downtown here in Chicago later because "oh my God there's this prejudice magazine that only discusses and features skateboarders." Just when I thought I'd never be amazed by the stupidity of man, I am once again proven wrong. However I am not shocked that many agreed with the topic starter since only 20% of Americans are considered to have above average intelligence. This means 80% of America is just as stupid as the poster.

Good day,

Haven

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
pretty funny review of it here:
www.somethingawful.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I have one question for everyone on here. Does African American mean all americans of a certain skin tone or americans of a certain decent. Reason for asking is that there are people with a darker tone to their skin who are not African in decent. Do they count as African American or black or are they something else?

If not then maybe there is an African American perspective the same as there is an Indian, Irish or European perspective. If everyone who is African American is also black than logic says that there is a black perspective which is relevant.

But if everyone who is of a darker skintone count as African American regardless of decent or white people with african decent count as African American then it is not. You tell me which applies?

Personally I think the racist discussion is old and needs to take a break. There are more important and interesting battles to fight in 2008. Maybe the race issue is part of the conspiracy to keep us engaged in meaningless quarreling whilst the big guys get on with their agenda. Divide and concour

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
What makes you belive that the Blackbird explorer is developed by black people, who want you to be aware of the "black perspective". Its entirely BS.

i think,they just want to know if the person that is behind the monitor ir black or not, think about it.

have you ever heard about kind alfred plan?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Umm, if anybody cares...BET is owned by Viacom, which is a white owned company...the old meeting site something like face, was called Blackplanet. Also owned by a white person. I could go own for days but I won't it's merely a money tactic.

To anyone that says Black History Month is racist. Ask your child what they learned at school, and I can guarentee you, 11 months out of the year, it's not about what a black person did in history.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The sad part about all of this is it is only racist if you are white! If you had a white web browser you would be condemned as a member of the arian nation or a member of the KKK. This is both hipocritical and ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ExistenceUnknown

and...I have a job and I am making something of myself. I have made myself from nothing. I was surround by negative forces and darkness, and the light reached out to me.
I apologize that you will never understand. I still to this day never have had a job in the city I grew up in, because they will simply not hire me anywhere, and I refuse to work for scraps. I just recently moved out of the 'program' and you wouldnt believe how people act in what is supposed to be the real world. Yea, Im free, I am able to contribute to the cause legally now, and I will not be punished. But why must I get looked at this way, I enter the ampm and it is silent, every single person that followed me(because I will sit there and pay attention to make sure Im not crazy)ges a "good morning, how is it going today? thank you". The other week, I went with my mother to purchase a new microphone, she stood there for about ten minutes, while everyone that just appeared recieved attention immediately, when they finally realized my mom is hard-headed, they greeted her different than they greeted every single individual. Can you believe this ignorant, human asked my mom "Whats up", what happend to the company line you just used on the other 50 customers "hey, is there anything I can help you with today?". Its just the little things, people come up to and just say "Obama, yea!", what if I was one of the "Anti-christ,he is worse than bush"believers. I would assume they just believe because.....they feel the need to approach me and give me 'pound' and say "Obama!"

Would it be OK for me to move to Africa and claim im not accepted because every month is Black History Month, even though black history in that country is ages older than my white history in that country?

No, but it is different on a more grand scale. No offense but what has the Northern Anglo nations offered or contributed to Africa. They could share a multitude of negative history but noone ever"progresses" with that knowledge , they would probably get "Positive history week".
Now here, in the land, we have been contributing from day one. We elogantly displayed what it truly means to be a living soul, representing our country's founding documents and beliefs. In history we have alot of false pride that still exist today from people who wish to destroy what this country means and they misrepresent every amendment and law to abuse others....So some of the most wicked people are considered "heroes".
Not to get lost and make a long post, but my point is, it would be different. Afro-Americans have done just as much for this country as the next man. If you really look close enough in American history Afro-Americans have done quite remarkable things. We have brought troops back home(that were supposedly not being permitted to leave), we have contributed remarkable inventions, discovered cures,developed theories, have represented this country very well(Even in the olympics, traditionally this is the time to see what country is the greatest,and of course its America).
The need for black TV and other networks are because most networks do not want most of the shows we create(d). There is a joke in black community about television. It said "no black show has ever been on tv longer than 10 seasons, even the greats". It is just a joke. But, just for ex. I make hip hop music. It would be stupid to send my music to the 15 radio stations that doesnt play that music(people of different backgrounds prefer different music*not races). So imagine if the wopping 3 didnt exist, how would my music get played. Eventually if that genre/style is strong enough it will develop itself, and create a need...And a radio station is born, by the people who wish to orchestrate these type of sounds, for listeners who wish to hear them. So if you take the color out its sounds okay for you, right? Not! This is america, why are you not upset about the foreign channels you cant even understand! At least you can turn to what you posters call "black TV" and you have the ability to understand and learn something about the culture of your brothers that you wouldnt learn from the history books....or wiki.
sorry for typos

--Peace--Love--

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AKINOFTHEFIRSSTARS
The need for black TV and other networks are because most networks do not want most of the shows we create(d).

At least you can turn to what you posters call "black TV" and you have the ability to understand and learn something about the culture of your brothers that you wouldnt learn from the history books....or wiki.

Not trying to be a pain in the rear end here, but here is today's line up on BET for the next 24 hours.

"Making the Band" (9 hours worth in a row)
"You Got Served" (From the description "Hip-hop drama about street dancers who compete for big money in impromptu contests judged by the public.)
"Somebody Help Me" (From the description: "Teens get more than they bargained for when a weekend getaway in a remote cabin turns deadly as odd encounters with the locals precede mysterious disappearances.")
"American Gangster" (Profiling Willie Lloyd, a former Chicago gang lord.)
A few hours of Jazz specials
And Sunday morning is the obligatory church shows that can be found on a lot of channels on Sundays with the only difference being the skin color of the preacher.

Granted this is only one 24 hour period, but it is mostly reality shows which is something you find on every channel most days (or at least it seems like it, but I just don't really care for reality shows), and then a few hours of movies which once again you find on a lot of channels most days. Which renders the first line I quoted above categorically false. They are showing the same type of stuff that every other channel does.

The only exception I found today and tomorrow that might show something specific to black history is that tomorrow they are showing "The Color Purple", which personally I think is a great movie regardless what channel shows it. Though I think it's best seen on tape/dvd so you don't have bits cut out for commercials. So it's not really showing much of anything about black history at all, let alone stuff that you won't find in textbooks, online somewhere or on the History channel for that matter.

So I went further than 24 hours thinking maybe it was just a weekend thing and that it probably wasn't a fair representation of what they typically show. But I found more reality shows, Judge Hatchett, "Somebody Help Me" playing again on Monday morning, a few episodes of "Steve Harvey", a few episodes of "One on One", a few hours of "Smart Guy", and then 2 hours of music videos and another movie before going back to reality shows, Judge Hatchett and a replay of the movie "Three Can Play That Game".

Again, I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt, I just don't see what it is you are talking about when I look at their programming. I'm confused and hoping for a bit of insight actually.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

You wrote:
This is toioaly racist.

This is toioaly hilarious mate! Thanks

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

the lineup you showed just about sums up BET.
if anyone truly wants to educate themselves about black citizens, look elsewhere.
in my earlier post, i stated that BET is one of many so-called black networks that engage in negative stereotyping of its target audience.
people are fooled if they think otherwise.
i have yet to see anything "positive".
it used to be something to be proud of..not anymore.
the reality shows they showcase seem to thrive on drama and ignorant behaviour.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by heather65

That's why I'm a bit confused about how that channel is supposed to show anything aside from people in general turn into idiots when put on reality shows, and the occasional decent movie they show. Pretty much all the major channels seem to have some sort of reality show nowadays though, so it's not just BET that does it.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Racist? are you screwed up in the head or something? this is a race-specific search and news engine. your ignorant to assume that all people are identical and that everyone in the world should be subjected to purely caucasian news mediums(im white, so screw off)

you.... are...... re*arted

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

true,true.
i guess i expected better from a network geared to african-americans.
bad taste is an equal oppurtunity trait.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
And once again you skipped over the parts I posted that you didn't like and that didn't conform with the narrow view you want to look at. I clearly stated that the theft of actual songs was horrible and should not have been done. I also clearly asked for examples outside of music. If you didn't have any other examples you could have just said so.

What did I skip over? The points about white slavery you made? That wasn't the discussion bud, you were the one who kept skipping over the point in my posts, that were relevant to this discussion.

I was just trying to make the point that black culture has been taken by white people. You seem to think the theft of art, as in music, dance, speech, fashion, acting etc., is not a big deal? Trust me it is, and is probably one of the things that young black folks most resent whites for. When you're poor and there is no way to get out of it with a 'normal' job, entertainment has always been a way out of that poverty. So thousands of black musicians over the generation have either had their creations stolen, or were just not allowed to be heard (as in black music wasn't played in radio, or TV, and black actors were lucky to get bit parts, and still are outside 'black television)'.

So is it any wonder they decided to set up their own TV and music industry that they can control themselves? And that's racist because you can't call your TV or website 'white'? Again it's not about black and white, it's about culture. Of you relate to black culture there is nothing stopping you enjoying it. If you don't then go watch 'Friends'.

You live in a fantasy world where all white people are perfect and just like you. I'm white, but I don't feel a need to justify biased white action, because that just keeps the ignorance alive. Racism is also when you refuse to see, and admit, reality of what your own race does against another. Blinded by pride.

With that said, I give up. This discussion has no point to it. Regardless what I say most of it is ignored so I won't waste my time any longer.

Actually it does have a point, go back to the start of our discussion and see the progression. The discussion was about a black web site being racist. I think what we discussed is relevant, as all I was trying to do is point out that it isn't racist, and in fact you are racist for thinking it is. I was just using examples to show it. You took the discussion off topic by going on about slavery, and how you think it was no big deal because a few white people in distant history were also enslaved, which has nothing to do with the discussion. it's not all about slavery, it's about what happened since they were 'freed'. Yeah freed to be exploited, just as they were as slaves. Just like us whites, their 'freedom' is an illusion.

If only we could realise that we are all the same, and real enemy is the ruling elites who manipulate and exploit us all to maintain their lavish lifestyles. We are kept divided purposely. The white ruling elite was scared of the 'Black Panthers', for example, because they were acting militantly on behalf of the poor (black and white), so the media portrayed them as anti-white terrorists. They are scared of us becoming united, because if we did there would be revolution.

Huey P. Newton, co-founder of the Black Panther Party, was asked what white people could do to support the Black Panthers. Newton replied that they could form a White Panther Party. Thus, the group took its name in emulation of the Black Panthers, and dedicated its energies to "cultural revolution." Sinclair made every effort to ensure that the White Panthers were not mistaken for a white supremacist group, responding to such claims with "quite the contrary."

Sorry if you think this stuff isn't relevant, but it is, you just don't know how to assimilate the information with your conditioned biased view.
Understand history and you will see through the lies. It's not really your fault, you are conditioned through the MSM, you just have to learn to see through the BS to find the truth.

[edit on 12/13/2008 by ANOK]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Let me put this in simple terms. I have responded to each point you have made, though I have not gotten that same courtesy in return. I asked you for specific examples of stolen culture, and was given nothing but repeated harpings about stolen songs. I agreed that theft of songs was horrible and should not have happened. I asked again for examples of stolen culture outside of music. You ignored my requests for examples in your pursuit to make me look like a racist even though I acknowledged the theft of music and even though I have tried to move past the discussion of slavery. Each point I make is ignored. Therefore this discussion is going nowhere. I could type until my fingers fall off, but you are so convinced that you are right and I am wrong that it wouldn't do any good.

You were asked several times politely to provide examples of stolen culture and all you have come up with is music. In my opinion, music is something that is universal. Individual tastes in music vary, but people in general like music in general. Theft of actual songs is not stealing culture. It isn't right, in fact I think it's very wrong, but it is not stealing culture. Should those songs have been stolen? Absolutely not. Does stealing a song equal stealing someone's culture? Absolutely not.

So if you have no further examples, I see nothing further for you and I to discuss on this topic. I can only repeat myself for so long before it becomes tiresome. That is what this discussion has been like. I have made many, many, many points that were ignored because of your apparent agenda, and that is the opposite of a discussion and will get us nowhere.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
i love how african americans can have a television network like BET (black entertainment television) yet, if there was a WET, people would lose jobs and too many people would be like WWOOOOOAHH thats too racist.

Black History Month? oh # sorry, i didnt realize M.L.K. wasnt in the history books until that month.... grow up and get over yourself. 350 years ago, get over it.

my family was kicked out of ireland 3-4 generations ago, do i still bitch about it everyday and expect anything?

there is equality, and there is passing equality into another form of racism.

there are many other examples, like this browser itself.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
why's everybody sh_tting their knickers over this? It's not racist, it's branded badly. Black Americans want a black web browser. Big fking deal. Do you get worked up over women's magazines too? Over Italian delis?

It's nothing more than an acknowledgement of cultural diversity. Let's consider women's magazines, women's literature, women's lib etc as an analogy. In any society, culture is going to be hegemonised. News, magazines, TV, the arts etc are going to be dominated by society's most powerful group - WASP males in the USA. (Or am I supposed to say Jewish lizard people on ATS?). So these outlets are going to reflect the identity of the WASP male, ignoring the less powerful, be they women or blacks. As a result, at some point, the marginalised groups are going to become sick of seeing that the media, arts etc are directed almost exclusively at someone that isn't them, and will try to fix this. Nothing sinister.

Do we accept that cultural heritage exists? And that certain demographics might be interested in something that is viewed with indifference by people from other cultures? To use an old example, MTV refused to show rap music for a few years; until the Beastie Boys I think. This wasn't because nobody with MTV liked rap music - it was because rap music was too 'black-specific'. It's fair enough that most white people weren't interested in what was from their perspective, a a narrow musical niche. Is it racist for someone else to cater for that niche? For clubs to play black music because it doesn't get played in white clubs? No.

The whole 'what if we replaced black with white' argument is weak as f_ck because 'white' american interests take priority by default: redesigning a product for the white market isn't necessary when what's already out there was designed with you in mind.

I have to say, this argument could only come from a country with an attitude towards race relations as backwards as America's

[edit on 14-12-2008 by melaena]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Flip'nel (Afrikaans term of sheer irritation combined with amazement), so BEE has to buzz in everywhere. Here is a proposal: all Firefox users ditch the browser and use Opera, Flock or the adventurous (read: willing to test and be tested) use Chrome. I ditched IE for FF. Seems loyalty has its limits. Mine just reached it. I know the effects of BEE on whites.

Taken from the Blackbirdhome site:

The Blackbird download graphics can be obtained from the Company's website under the tab, "Spread the Word."

"Spread the Word" is the same term Mozilla uses to promote its browsers. So long, firefox. It's been a good time. Too bad BEE had to buzz in and destroy your credibility.

[edit on 2008/12/14 by J.Smit]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Smit
Flip'nel (Afrikaans term of sheer irritation combined with amazement), so BEE has to buzz in everywhere.

[edit on 2008/12/14 by J.Smit]

Comparing it unfavourably with apartheid? Way to support your argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join