It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD train with Machine Guns for the Holidays...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

NYPD train with Machine Guns for the Holidays...

www.nypost.com

In the aftermath of the deadly Mumbai terror attacks, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has come out with guns blazing - with a plan to get all 1,000 rookie cops ready to use heavy artillery in time for New Year's Eve, The Post has learned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
So because of Mumbai the police in America now have a reason to carry M4's? What's supposed to be so different this year at Times Square? I hope nothing goes down but if they stage something I see a lot of innocent people being hurt. Super Cops already kill innocent people in NYC with hand guns, and now we have rookies with machine guns? Good thing I never go down there...

www.nypost.com

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The NYPost really is a pathetic newspaper. Officers and Law Enforcement all over the US have been carrying M4 (AR-15) style weapons for YEARS...like 15 years now. This is not news, its not new...its just a way for a paranoid crappy paper to cuase problems when NONE exsist.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueminatti

So because of Mumbai the police in America now have a reason to carry M4's? What's supposed to be so different this year at Times Square? I hope nothing goes down but if they stage something I see a lot of innocent people being hurt. Super Cops already kill innocent people in NYC with hand guns, and now we have rookies with machine guns? Good thing I never go down there...

www.nypost.com

My computer is being stupid so i can't check the article itself, but are they full auto m4's, or the kind i can go buy right now if i want to blow a grand on a brand name? that is not heavy artillery. Should regular run of the mill rookies have them? no, that is for riot police. but it's not like they are running around with panzerfausts or anyhting, now that is heavy artillery.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
NYPD officers have had access to heavier weaponry since the creation of the department's elite Emergency Services Unit in 1930.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I thought all police departments had some form of AR or another. No, AR doesnt stand for "Assault Rifle" just in case that one was coming up. It refers to ArmaLite who developed the rifle.

Even the backwoods Northwest cops in First Blood had M-16s (It was on last night). I know the cops where I grew up has them.

I dont think the gun is the story. I think the fact that the cops are actually getting some range time in is the story. Cop quals are a joke and these individuals who are statistically more prone to violent outbursts and mental instability carry everyday and it makes the people around them (by and large) feel safe. Cops

Maybe the NYPD didnt want to be a laughing stock. Those cops in India had only 577 rifles for the bunch of them and most had never even handled one let alone fired one. They had no range to train on.

It's nice to see the cops get some practice in for a change.

new topics

top topics

join