It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Big pharma pushing Adderall and Ritalin as productivity boosters for humans

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Big pharma pushing Adderall and Ritalin as productivity boosters for humans

www.blacklistednews.com

Healthy people should have the right to boost their brains with pills, like those prescribed for hyperactive kids or memory-impaired older folks, several scientists contend in a provocative commentary.

College students are already illegally taking prescription stimulants like Ritalin to help them study, and demand for such drugs is likely to grow elsewhere, they say.

"We should welcome new methods of improving our brain function," and doing it with pills is no more morally objectionable
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.naturalnews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ADHD is wide spread misinfo spread by the new world order.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I think most all of you who read threads here about the drug companies know what there goal is. That being to keep the majority of the population hyped up on some sort of drugs, or better yet a cocktail of drugs. This to me is just proving that point even more. Healthy people taking drugs to improve performance, if that is not a statement for drug companies to have greater control I don't know what is.

www.blacklistednews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I don't see this as indicative of an agenda to exert control over the populace or keep us "drugged". It is, however, certainly an effort to increase the profits of pharmaceutical companies (and really--isn't that always their primary goal?). Imagine the gains they will see if performance enhancing medications like Ritalin are made more widely available. A significant number of people, from students to overburdened housewives to businessmen--anyone who feels the pressure for greater efficiency--are jumping on this bandwagon. "Stay awake" pills like Provigil, originally designed for sleep disorders, are also being utilized by healthy individuals (most notably in the military).

If drugs that improve efficiency can pass safety testing, I don't have an issue with availability being increased.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Id rather use natural plants that have a long history of use and work just aswell,this is big pharma trying to maximise profits as usual.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:52 AM
link   
unfortunately nearly most of the sheeple deeply believe pharma corps are genuine businesses producing medicines for their wellness.

so this kind of speech doesn't shock any of them. so they'll take it, and they'll even want more after hearing 100 times on tv how good it is to be a sheep.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

it sounds like you are looking for excuse to chose cholera over pest.

(chose life)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:10 AM
link   
This is one of those subject I can never agree with myself about. I'm of two minds going in opposite directions.

I agree that big pharmacy is a money making machine that has little regard for human life. Their goal is the almighty profit.

As far as control of the populous i don't believe that is the foremost concern except where it creates the profits. Nothing sinister there. We'll, don't all businesses want profit?

If I can take a drug in the morning and finish a book I've been attempting to write for years I'm all for popping that little pill.

I already take memory enhancing drugs, and drugs to enhance me physically so that I might digest my food better and also to help my other bodily functions. My drug bill is at least $1,200.00 each month.

I'm just waiting for a drug that will erase a few years from my skin and and a drug that really will stop my daily pain without my being in a drugged state all the time.

That being said..........keep churning out those good drugs big pharmacy.

Now, this is where it gets dicey with me. My 9 month beautiful great granddaughter is being forced to get flu vaccine and her other shots this week. That bit of information slipped out to my ear shot last night.

Fear gripped my entire being. OMG not my great granddaughter. I was livid. I finally settled down after popping one of pharmacy's best selling pills to calm me down. It is a prescribed medication. One of my life enhancer drugs.

So, here I go in circles chasing my tail. One one hand I'm saying I love you big pharmacy and on the other hand I'm damming you. How dare you advise we poke pills down our children's throats.

Just please keep doing research and find a new pill to make my life better.

Chasing my own tail is no fun. I don't think I will ever be able to come to a single conclusion concerning drugs and our uses or need of them.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Mmmmm... let's get the kids drugged up on something legal.

In the US famous psychiatrists like Dr. Joseph Biederman have convinced doctors that the manic states seen in children receiving ADHD drugs (like Concerta, Aderall and Strattera) are signs of “bipolar disorder” – not signs of drug induced brain dysfunction. This has meant that children in the US, instead of being taken off the dangerous drugs are given the most toxic substances available in psychiatry – neuroleptics (so called antipsychotics like Risperdal, Zyprexa and Abilify).

These new warnings in Europe for Strattera, together with all exposures of the fraudulent affairs of Biederman and colleagues, should finally convince doctors about the facts and what needs to be done – that the harmed children need to be taken off the drugs under careful supervision.

www.transworldnews.com...

Notice Aderall is in there!

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Ritalin, legal '___' if I'm not mistaken. Back in the day I knew this guy who would do speed to stay awake for his job, looks like that will soon be legal huh.

It was bad enough when they were pushing it on the kids to keep them quiet, instead of just taking a long hard look at their diet and sugar and E-colour intake. Now they are being used to create a society where those who can afford stimulants, will pull even further ahead of their poorer counterparts.

This kind of thing isn't allowed in sporting events, I think it's a shame that people are allowed chemical augments to boost their productivity in the workplace. And this is just the start of the slippery slope, it starts with drugs, then genetics, then cybernetics.

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Lazyninja]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I don't care about what other people decides to put into their own body.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

Dizziedeme
I do wish you all the best health, and your great grand daughter. The problem is the drug companies, don't necessarily want the same thing. Even with what you are calling the good drugs. Hear is part of my point.

Trudeau says in his book that the Food and Drug Administration is actively banning all-natural cures so that consumers are forced to buy drugs and therefore support the drug industry. He also says that there are all-natural cures for serious ailments such as cancer, attention deficit disorder, arthritis, acid reflux disease, herpes, and many other diseases. He writes that "It's all about the money! See why I am mad as all hell and not going to take it anymore??" (Updated Ed., p. 16)

Trudeau has no medical training or expertise, although he says that this fact makes him the most qualified to make these claims, as he is not a part of the pharmaceutical industry, American Medical Association, or FDA. His book refers to various studies supporting its claims, only vaguely, without specific citations to verify them. He also says that the book's claims are only his opinions, and in the chapter "I Should Be Dead Now" that there are virtually no medical facts.xc

The point of that is that the drug companies don't necessarily want you to be healthy. Healthy people don't buy there drugs. They want you in a constant state of being sick. Sick people buy drugs.
Drug companies don't invest in a drug that cures people, why?
Because when a drug cures people, they don't half to take it any more.

sorce wiki

[edit on 9-12-2008 by RedGolem]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by runetang

great ideas

The only thing that I can still see happening would be, that the heavy users/abusers in the anti anxiety/pain killer department might have their friends purchase their own allowed amounts and then sell it to the abuser .. but at least the country's tax hunger would be satisfied..and thats really one of the major concerns, besides over indulgence and its life threatening consequences of course

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I used to take Adderall for ADHD and it did help me out a LOT. With that said I have hyperactivity and attention deficit disorder. I experience extreme amounts of attention deficiency. ADHD can be beneficial if you have many tasks to be completed at once, but many times there is one large goal and someone with this issue cannot focus all of his/her attention on the one goal.

I don't believe that these drugs should be distributed amongst the general public. Adderall is actually chemically addictive if abused, and should only be taken by those who suffer from attention deficiency. If you do not and you take Adderall you are likely to become a complete walking Zombie.

I stopped taking Adderall and although complete lack of productivity, I simply cannot afford this medicine. It costs over $240 a month if you do not have insurance, and I was laid off of a really nice job so I do not have insurance myself anymore. If I did not stop taking Adderall previously to being laid off, I would be SOL and suffering from chemical withdrawal on top of my loss of job.

Withdrawal symptoms are basically dizziness, nausea, morning heart burn, and vertigo throughout the day.

The question is, is it worth it? If I was in college I would NEED it and honestly I never finished college because of my ADHD and because I stopping taking this medicine. However, with college in my past I have an inner-conflict as to whether or not this medicine is the correct thing for me to do.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I learned a long time ago after quitting my younger habbits that simply having a clear and clean mind works wonders with memory and productivity.

Were not some machine that needs an improved oil for pete's sake. You can only push the limits of what the body can take so far, and filling your brain with drugs, clean or otherwise, eventually catches up to you in the long run.

What are the long term effects of this stuff? Like if a person takes this mess for 30 or 40 years and when they reach 60 or older?

Sometimes its better to look at the long term effects and avoid them than to reap the short term benefits that may be regretted later on.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   
I hope they make it OTC!!! I wouldn't mind taking a ride to CVS and getting a nice buzz while im miserable sitting at my desk!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
A lot of you people who post here are going to know this and a lot of you are not but adderallis a lot more dangerous than ritalin. See on adderal you can keep on taking more and more and you will feel the difference. On ritalin you are going to cap out.

Want to know the truth? Years ago I used to give adderal to my friends. I myself got it for a doctor and it was not hard at all. I didn't have anything wrong with me but I knew what to tell a doctor.

These drugs can help you to study all night long without having to eat or do anything else that would get in the way. In all honesty they are going to help you make the grade. Are they good for you? I wouldn't say so but they will help you lose weight.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
There are several tiny problems with this suggestion:
a) Drugs do have side effects and sometimes kill.
b) It will actually ensure use of mind-enhancing drugs by forces of the market. I am not talking about methylphenidate (Ritalin and co') or Adderall - do not know what it is ,we do not have it here yet. I am talking about industry of making mind-enhancers and employers ensuring that their work force uses them.
All drugs are poisons, only in small doses. So agreeing to poison ourself in order to run faster in the same wheel of economy is very silly. Plus, there are natural plants that are just for that, they are probably much weaker but used for ages and have much better safety profile. Like - no black boxes for Ginkgo Biloba or Korean Ginseng. I personally use combination on days that i know will be tough and it adds me few hours of normal non-tired functioning. It does not mean those plants do not have side effects, just that their are not that dangerous as mind-stimulants.
My motto (already wrote it on another post few days ago but why not again?)
- If it is needed - then it is needed; if it is optional - then it probably is not needed.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

zero
you do bring up a good point, with the side effects. The drug companies do some times list death as a side effect with a drug. Not for the drugs that have been talked about here, but would a drug be approved that has death listed as a side effect?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join