It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would Gore have done?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
TPL

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:50 AM
link   
In the aftermath of 9/11 i wonder. Would th US be in Iraq and Afghanistan?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:57 AM
link   
No it would be very hard for us to be in Iraq and Afghanistan if Gore were in office.
After 9-11 Gore would have left the country for a short period of time, gained a lot of weight and grown a beard - then he would go on the speaking circuit and complain about whoever was in office.
(Oh wait a minute - he's already done all of that - because he wasn't elected.)

then of course he would eventually realize that it was HE who was in office and shave his beard and go back to the white house...
He is mentally unstable, he probably would have gotten in the fetal position under his oval office desk, sucked his thumb and cried for "momma!"
Worthless sack of crap.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Solarix]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Thats an alternate history. It does no good talking about it. Gore will never be in office so Who cares.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
While I agree that discussing alternate history isn't particularly rewarding, I also think this is a valid question. Certainly it's a question that a lot of people were pondering in the immediate aftermath of 9/11.

The short answer to the question, I believe would be no, not any more. I suspect that once intelligence reported the event as being planned and executed by the Al-Quaida, Gore would have launched raids into Afghanistan, attempting to target individual leaders of the movement. I don't think it would have become a full scale invasion, and I'm almost certain it would not have led into Iraq.

However, I'm also coming to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter much who is in office - the same power elite are making the decisions in any case.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Al Gore would probably have tried to find some way to appease the terrorists and their European sympathizers. It is the policy of his party that there is no problem that cannot be solved by throwing more of the American People's money at it. This is the same don't make waves, try to buy them off policy that has always failed. That is the problem with buying people off, they don't stay bought.

No, we wouldn't be in Iraq or Afganistan right now. I think we would have had more attacks here since Al-Quada would have gone virtually unpunished for 9-11. I think Al Gore wouldn't have had the intestinal fortitude to respond in a decisive way.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Watcher_Don
While I agree that discussing alternate history isn't particularly rewarding

However, I'm also coming to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter much who is in office .

If we are going to talk about it , Let Throw this in there, I dont think 9/11 would have happen if Gore was in office.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Al Gore would not have spent the first 8 months planning a little payback to Saddam with his head up his ass and his butt on vacation in Crawford...

And when Clarke said Al Queda is coming with the chatter spikes before 9/11 he might have done something.

And there'd be no what would Al Gore have done after 9/11 since there'd be no 9/11.

I'm just saying MAYBE. After all we're discussing alternate histories, alternate possiblities and I for one would welcome ANY alternative to the past 3 and half years.

Just don't assume Gore would have miserably failed on 9/11 since Bush did. I can't believe how many people consider 9/11 inevitable. It wasn't. Entirely forseeable, and 100% preventable.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Cobra, it's my understanding that the plan had been brewing for years leading up to the actual event. Are you suggesting that the attack would never have launched, or that preventive measures on the side of the US government could or would have stopped or mitigated it?

I'm inclined to give some credence to the possibility that it might never have been as catastrophic as it was, but I do think there would have been an attack.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
If we are going to talk about it , Let Throw this in there, I dont think 9/11 would have happen if Gore was in office.

Right on, SpittinCobra. We KNOW Gore would not have been obsessed and preoccupied with some cowboy payback on Saddam, or have those religious nut PNAC cronies whispering in his ear, or have Cheneyburton masterbating over the war spoils of Iraqi oil fields...

So who knows? It couldn't have been any worse than Bush.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I think Rant Spelled it out perfectly.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Personally, I would welcome any alternative that didn't involve giving greater powers to intelligence agencies to monitor the movements and actions of citizens.

But for myself, while I agree that the Iraq adventure seems to be something of a personal grudge, I'm not sure that the real powers that be wouldn't have followed the same basic timeline regardless of who was in office at the same time. I think it's the same group pulling the strings, whether the Dems or Reps win. I've known since the late 1970's that sooner or later the US would have to become involved in a major conflict in the Middle East. The Hostage crisis, Iran-contra, Desert Shield/Storm - all preludes to the main action the power brokers wanted, but couldn't get until we had a "Pearl Harbor type event." And we had one on 9/11.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Al Gore would not have spent the first 8 months planning a little payback to Saddam with his head up his ass and his butt on vacation in Crawford...

And when Clarke said Al Queda is coming with the chatter spikes before 9/11 he might have done something.

And there'd be no what would Al Gore have done after 9/11 since there'd be no 9/11.

I'm just saying MAYBE. After all we're discussing alternate histories, alternate possiblities and I for one would welcome ANY alternative to the past 3 and half years.

Just don't assume Gore would have miserably failed on 9/11 since Bush did. I can't believe how many people consider 9/11 inevitable. It wasn't. Entirely forseeable, and 100% preventable.

I tend to agree, if Gore was in office and did the same thing Clinton did to prevent the millennium bombings there's a damm good chance 9/11 wouldn't of happened.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Since we are discussing alternative history, I've gotta say, Gore never had a chance.
I remember wondering after all was said and done why THEY WANTED Bush to be elected. It was because 9/11 was gonna happen. If something really bad was gonna happen, NO ONE wanted Al Gore in office.
Including Al

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Still waiting for the 'how' Gore would have prevented the "entirely foreseeable and 100% preventable" events of 9/11. Opinion and hindsight is an awesome 20/20 people, and though this is, after all, a hypothetical situation, please feel free to present the reasoning to your positive assertions to what Gore would have done.

Care to explain why Gore was literally 'in bed' with the airline industry in 1996? Why, in 1996, he weakened airline security? Would it be that the airlines didn't want or couldn't handle requirements that would intensify airline safety because of the inhernet increased costs and out-of-pocket dollars that would be coming out of all the major airlines pockets, to increase such a measure? Care to explain that when Gore weakened airline safety and then ran for president in 2000, that the airlines contributed significantly to his campaign? Umm, let me guess, Gore, becoming a hypothetical president, would have corrected this, right?!
How Gore aborted air safety
Report: Gore Airline Safety Commission Bought Off
Why airline security failed

Hey, maybe Kerry could have prevented 9/11, maybe? Not!
Official: Kerry failed to act on pre-9/11 tip

WASHINGTON � A third federal aviation-security agent, one still with the government, has stepped forward to say he also warned Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry about security lapses at Boston's Logan International Airport before the 9-11 hijackings there.

Since, apparently, Gore was vice-president within the Clinton Administration, how many more times would the hypothetical Gore let Bin Laden go? I mean geez, Clinton, with Gore, missed how many opportunities to take out or capture Bin Laden....3....4 times? But lord forbid, Gore, as a hypothetical president would have 100% prevented the entirely foreseeable events of 9/11?!

Right....

Again, hindsight is 20/20, even if one uses Coca-Cola bottomed glasses.

Could 9/11 Have Been Prevented?

seekerof

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
9-11 wouldn't of happened if bush wasnt president. Another president wouldn't of gone into afghanistan given money to the taliban,tried to buy access for a pipeline and then threaten them. This president and his PNAC handlers provoked 9-11 and then let it happen or set it up with the mossad and then blamed al queda.
The bush administration is 100% responsible for 9-11.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ashley
9-11 wouldn't of happened if bush wasnt president. Another president wouldn't of gone into afghanistan given money to the taliban,tried to buy access for a pipeline and then threaten them. This president and his PNAC handlers provoked 9-11 and then let it happen or set it up with the mossad and then blamed al queda.
The bush administration is 100% responsible for 9-11.

English 101: "wouldn't HAVE happened "
"Another president wouldn't HAVE gone "

Learn the language, then post.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
-----------------

English 101: "wouldn't HAVE happened "
"Another president wouldn't HAVE gone "

Learn the language, then post.

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by ashley]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Still waiting for the 'how' Gore would have prevented the "entirely foreseeable and 100% preventable" events of 9/11. Opinion and hindsight is an awesome 20/20 people, and though this is, after all, a hypothetical situation, please feel free to present the reasoning to your positive assertions to what Gore would have done.

Care to explain why Gore was literally 'in bed' with the airline industry in 1996? Why, in 1996, he weakened airline security? Would it be that the airlines didn't want or couldn't handle requirements that would intensify airline safety because of the inhernet increased costs and out-of-pocket dollars that would be coming out of all the major airlines pockets, to increase such a measure? Care to explain that when Gore weakened airline safety and then ran for president in 2000, that the airlines contributed significantly to his campaign? Umm, let me guess, Gore, becoming a hypothetical president, would have corrected this, right?!
How Gore aborted air safety
Report: Gore Airline Safety Commission Bought Off
Why airline security failed

Hey, maybe Kerry could have prevented 9/11, maybe? Not!
Official: Kerry failed to act on pre-9/11 tip

WASHINGTON � A third federal aviation-security agent, one still with the government, has stepped forward to say he also warned Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry about security lapses at Boston's Logan International Airport before the 9-11 hijackings there.

Since, apparently, Gore was vice-president within the Clinton Administration, how many more times would the hypothetical Gore let Bin Laden go? I mean geez, Clinton, with Gore, missed how many opportunities to take out or capture Bin Laden....3....4 times? But lord forbid, Gore, as a hypothetical president would have 100% prevented the entirely foreseeable events of 9/11?!

Right....

Again, hindsight is 20/20, even if one uses Coca-Cola bottomed glasses.

Could 9/11 Have Been Prevented?

seekerof

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Seekerof]

Ok I'll recap something I said on an earlier post (that I could not answer your questions before because it was locked) and than point out some of the obvious.

In the last month of the Clinton administration the head of the FBI, CIA, and National security and anti-terrorism had a meeting EVERY DAY because there was evidence to suggest that an attack was coming. The type of things they did at these meetings were shared information collected by all the agencies involved, the heads of the FBI and CIA were "shaking down" so to speak their organizations for any information that could be helpful no matter how small it may of seemed they were putting together a puzzle and because of their meetings they thwarted the millennium attack.

Bush got into office and the same type of chatter/threat was detected again and Clark, and the head of the CIA obviously had the same concerns. President Bush was told EVERY DAY in his daily briefings that there was an impending attack and he blew it off EVERY DAY but 1 (I think it was in june before 9-11) where he asked if there was a plan.
If Bush had taken it or thought of it as a real threat like Clinton did the FBI and CIA would of had their daily meetings on the subject and there is a good chance that the information that the FBI had on terrorists taking flight lessons but not asking about how to take off or land may (and it is not a big may) have come out. So there is a chance there that if Bush had done his job this wouldn't of happened. Again, bush did nothing with the exception of that one comment for 9 month about al-quada even thought he was told about an impending attack every day. Yes there was a plan in the approval process, but had it been important to Bush it would not have taken 9 months to get past committees. That's what he had on his desk on sep. 9th, it was passed by the committee on sep. 4th. He did nothing, Clinton may not have done enough, that may have been a mistake, but at least he did something.

Now with that said let's look at some of the differences between bush and gore. The biggest one that I see anyhow is that gore is a very smart man yet he lacks interpersonal skills. Bush however has some good ole boys social skills but you can tell by the way he messes up his speech that he does have some brain damage in his language center (and who else knows what other parts of his brain fumbles information.) I think even a spineless dweeb like gore could of stood up at the crash site like Bush did and give a speech but I don't think he would of been as comfortable. But I do think that Gore would of done something more if he was being told every day (like bush was) that there is an impending attack. Over and over we have heard evidence that bush wanted one thing, to invade Iraq, and that was more important than dealing with an impending attack. That tells me he isn't competent enough to be the president, it also tells me that he has something wrong up stairs. So was 9/11 100% preventable? Hell yes! If the right people got together and shared the right intelligence and I think it's obvious that if Gore had been in office and followed Clintons lead on dealing with an impending attack threat that the right people would of been in the right room.

That's my take on it any way.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra

Originally posted by Watcher_Don
While I agree that discussing alternate history isn't particularly rewarding

However, I'm also coming to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter much who is in office .

How do you figure?

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by JustAnIllusion]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
My guess is he would of hid under his desk while Tipper blames all the problems on "dirty" music.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join