It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barrack Obama - Looking for the Ideal Spot to Make a Speech

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Looking for the Ideal Spot to Make a Speech

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama’s aides say he is considering making a major foreign policy speech from an Islamic capital during his first 100 days in office.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.democraticunderground.com
www.dailykos.com

[edit on 12/4/2008 by theindependentjournal]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
ROLMAO - This guy aint taken office yet and here comes the Islamic Speeches to the Islamic world I wonder what he has to say to all those wonderful peaceful Islamic Democracies that are our allies out there...

My guess is Iran or Pakistan, what do you think?

Here comes the death of America, or the second American Revolution.

We shall see

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I just had another thought on this...

Didn't this man during his campaign talk about Israel being our only Democratic Ally in the region? Didn't Bombay(Mubai) just gt attacked by Pakistani trained terrorists according to all the reports? Isn't India also a U.S. Democratic Ally?

Then could someone explain what kind of message this sends to our long time democratic allies all over the world when this moron announces this kind of crap before he even takes office and what 7 days since the Mubai attacks happened and while Israel is concerned about Iran. Doesn't this scream to them that he is not going to stand with them but kowtow to Islamic Theocratic Dictatorships?

Hell we shoulda just kept Bush if this is the case and let Saudi Monarchy rule the world...

And they thought a redneck would take him out, they better worry about Israeli Mussad more than bubba with these kinds of actions coming from him already...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

ROLMAO - This guy aint taken office yet and here comes the Islamic Speeches to the Islamic world I wonder what he has to say to all those wonderful peaceful Islamic Democracies that are our allies out there...

The fact that they are not our allies or "peaceful democracies" is the very purpose, I believe, of the speech. Those who have the "Obama is working for the Muslims!" idea in their head will undoubtedly view his intent as further evidence of his complicity with the Islamic world (reason number one of why this is a stupid idea for public relations). But those who haven't gobbled up the Obama-is-a-Muslim conspiracy theory should be able to see this for what it really is. We are in a most vicious, contentious war with Islamic nations. To put it lightly, we just don't like each other. Obama seems to believe that by giving a speech from an Islamic center, he will in some way open up a dialogue and help ameliorate the enmity that exists between the culture of the West and the culture of the leading Islamic nations. I imagine it will all be for naught, but his intentions are good--if naive.

[edit on 4/12/08 by paperplanes]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by paperplanes

I aint an Obama hater to let you know right off the bat, I figured he would be way better than the last 8 years and I was and am still willing to give him a shot at it, and if he does well will say so as I will for the opposite. My point is what kind of message does this send to OUR ALLIES like Israel and India whom as I said above are very worried about Islamic threats to their lands.

I think this was a HUGE screw up from his people. It sends a bad message to all the other allies too. While I do support talking with Iran and not bombing them as Bush/Cheney want I don't think giving a major policy speech in an Islamic nation right now or announcing one is a good move. Wrong message to the allies and to those crazy Islamics who do think Barack is the 12th Imam as reported. I recall him in Germany like Reagan giving a speech and he backs that up with an Islamic Nation? Someone is NOT thinking in his staff at all, his is NOT going to go well and I assume will be publicly canceled before to long.

We should talk with anyone and seek a peaceful resolution, but going to their nation to speak wit the world the way it is today with Islam and the many attacks daily around the world, most in Iraq and AFghan but there is warnings everywhere for more.

I don't know this don't sit right and it actually makes me fell a bit unsettled. I was one who supported Barack whether he as a Islamic or not, and I believed he was not, I didn't think there was anything to his Islamic so called connections. But now I must have to wonder if I was wrong and maybe some of the others were right after all.

That would suck big time as I wanted America to turn back around under Barack and get back to our basics. Looks like he wants to send a clear message that he is willing to use an Islamic nation as the backdrop to a policy speech, and this aint good in this day and age in my humble opinion.

Clarification - did not vote for Barack but I did and do support talking to Iran and any enemy, hell that's how Ronnie got Gorby, TALK!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Yeah, I've seen this before. Remember when Nixon went to China and became a communist?
Oh wait, Nixon went to China and exploited the Sino-Soviet split for the benefit of American national security.

Obama will not get into Iran in his first 100 days- there's too much ground work for State to lay ahead of that.

Going to Pakistan would be a blunder, considering that it would be optimistic to predict a 50% chance of us going to war with them before 2016.

I strongly encourage people to actually read the NYT article- it's better analysis than I usually expect from the MSM.

Cairo is a good option, especially since the Bush administration was putting the screws to them about their "democratic" process and Obama might want to very quietly give the signal that America is willing to turn a blind eye to the wrongs of Muslim nations which aren't actively fighting us (because let's face it, "ignore me and I'll ignore you" is the best middle east policy this country has ever come up with). It also sets a good example for the Syrians. Egypt and Syria didn't part ways on the whole "death to Israel" thing all that long ago.

Writing off Amman as been there done that might be a little too shallow though. Jordan's role in 1948 (not to mention its position on the map) makes it pretty clear that they are indispensible to a working two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

In the interest of being original though, my first guess is Albania. Clinton did good for ethnic Albanian Muslims, Bush was the first president to visit Albania itself while in office, and Barry will want to continue growing that relationship, not only for diplomatic reasons but to give a subtle affirmation that he is on board to keep messing around on Russia's doorstep and keep Cold War II coming along on schedule.

I'll have to check the timeframe against upcoming events and recent news to come up with something a little more solid. We'll see if I find the time.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

Good analysis, wish they had announced which one in the piece as leaving it open to some unnamed Islamic Nation in the media leaves to many people including our allies wondering which one. Turkey would be the best bet for all concerned as it leaves out the Yugoslavian conflict Clinton got us into the same way George got us into Iraq, w/o U.N. approval. Jordan wouldn't be a bad one either other than it's proximity to our ally Israel. But leaving it open and unnamed gives everyone time to think of the worst possible, and who knows maybe it will be the worst possible and he don;t want to announce for that reason.

Anyways you made some good points and I would say Obama should hire you to do his press releases to ease the people that are surely going to go ballistic over this one...

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
The Secret Service would never let me near Obama. I've flubbed a very specific assassination prediction and they'd probably think I was positioning myself to improve my average. (Not that my average needs help. I predicted Obama to win, Edwards to Place, Hillary to Show in Iowa 9 months in advance).

Bragging aside though, if I were Obama's press secretary I'd also have to tell people that it's not going to be a controversy free visit or a controversy free speech. There's not much point "reaching out" to people we don't have issues with. I think Jordan would be a great place to start, precisely because the issue there is one of our allies and not us in our own right. Not only would it be likely to go a little further a little faster, but it would also give us some credibility against the whole Zionism charge, which would take a chip away from nations which have a problem with both us AND Israel when the time comes to bring them to the table.

If I were his press secy I'd probably spin this from liberal internationalism to fiscal conservatism, in the interest of being bipartisan without actually doing anything the other side wants me to do.
It's not that we want to live and let live, it's just that smart bombs are getting pricey but treaties are cheap (we've got all those Indian treaties we aren't using for anything afterall- cross out the racially insensitive native slurs and references to cavalry, insert racially insensitive middle eastern slurs and references to nuclear weapons, and voila, the one week of peace we'll get out of that could save us millions on munitions)

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The Vagabond

LOL, I definitely want you on his press staff, you're accurate, make valid statements and a hoot!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Vagabond
Cairo is a good option, especially since the Bush administration was putting the screws to them about their "democratic" process and Obama might want to very quietly give the signal that America is willing to turn a blind eye to the wrongs of Muslim nations which aren't actively fighting us (because let's face it, "ignore me and I'll ignore you" is the best middle east policy this country has ever come up with). It also sets a good example for the Syrians. Egypt and Syria didn't part ways on the whole "death to Israel" thing all that long ago.

Maybe Cairo isn't too far fetched.

The head of the Muslim Brotherhood in Jordan called on Palestinian Authority Arabs to formally start a third intifada by carrying out suicide bombing attacks to "slaughter the Jews" in Israel.

"The truce with the Zionist entity is meaningless," he explained quietly. "Let pure bodies blow up again in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv and in all the cities of occupied Palestine…" The Lebanese scholar also tried to persuade Egyptians to "show an act of violence, even if they go to jail, even if they die – they will be martyrs for the sake of Allah."

source

Maybe this will be the start of the Obama "test".

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

And they didn't believe it when I first raised the possibility that Obama could be a "manchurian candidate" ...

And now it seems that obama plans to be much more "involved" with muslims and muslim countries than he ever let on during the campaign. Very curious indeed ...

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
ROFLMAO you already have a thread on this.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I wonder why he would go to an Islamic country to give a foriegn policy speech.He was not elected president of the world,or was he? Foriegn policy is shared with the diplomates of the concerned countries,not the whole population of the world.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45
I wonder why he would go to an Islamic country to give a foriegn policy speech.He was not elected president of the world,or was he? Foriegn policy is shared with the diplomates of the concerned countries,not the whole population of the world.

There were news reports right after the election that some in Europe were wanting to do just that - make O(bs)ama "president of the world".

You can't make this stuff up!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by daddyroo45

I think that's a million dollar question. Why?

I started a thread on the idolization of Obama of an Israeli tribe, that pretty much was a failure.

A quip from my thread:

From Kenya to Canada, everyone is keen to associate themselves with American leader in waiting Barack Obama. In a remote village of northern Israel, eight thousand Bedouin tribesmen are laying claim to one of the world’s most powerful men.

Source

My mind is baffled as to the popularity of this man.

Am I like, missing the boat or something?

Why is he so popular amongst the people of the world?

Do the masses believe that he is going to cure all the ills of the world?

Is he a saviour?

If he is a saviour, a saviour of what?

As far as I'm concerned, he's just another puppet on a string.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure it's good for all involved to make more allies. Once they're our allies, we can begin talks with them to get them to stop hating Israel or whatever you guys care about.

top topics

join