It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

[HOAX]Ufo shooting out of the ocean[HOAX]

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
The opening hoaxer has now been banned under the most basic of terms and conditions of use.

Thanks everyone.

By becoming a member of these domains, you agree to the following:

1). Posting: You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate.

Forum posts, private messages, PODcasts, blog entries, and other supported content that violate these terms and conditions are subject to action that may include, but is not limited to, edits, removal, or account termination.

ATS Terms & Conditions of Use

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by damagedoor

I must concur with damagedoor on this point. [If] this new group of volunteers offers to help sift through some of the claims made on ATS it should present its fina lfindings/evidence [if found against the OP] for the scrutiny of all those members visiting/posting in the OP's thread, such as this one and leave it to them to decide if the claim is false or hoax.

Edit: typo

[edit on 5/12/2008 by Freelancer]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
As much as some of you people drive me up the wall with your skepticism,it is moments like these that I realize why I am here.Awesome job!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I'd hate to see ATS resort to censorship before the fact due to poster like this OP. Granted this was an obvious hoax out of the gate, but much of what I see here is not so cut and dried.

I've been using professional level cameras and image manipulation software for over 10 years now I think. I even do some professional work now to help pay for that equipment and software. Even so, I often don't post an opinion because it is just NOT that easy to spot hoaxes when the hoaxer is even remotely familiar with their camera or software like Photoshop.

We can't say in many cases that photo evidence is either real or a hoax with any certainty. Sometimes, like this time it is obvious but not always.

Photography has truly changed recently. When I first started with film it was in the realm of those who could actually afford the equipment. Now we suddenly have point and shoot digital cameras that take all the need for knowledge out of the equation. The equipment has gotten so good that even though I have professional gear, I generally rely on the camera to make my decisions for me.

Another oddity is that suddenly people are buying Photoshop for play even though it is very expensive. Between Photoshop and the available plug-ins, with a little study people could easily make images that would make it impossible to detect the manipulation. I see more problems with this on the horizon, not less.

Every time I open one of these threads, I truly hope to see something genuine that I can not explain; I honestly do. Lately I've been frustrated to the point I end up not even bothering to look at many of them. Not because of hoaxers, but more due to the constant flood of pictures of tiny lights in a nighttime sky or blurred objects that could be anything being presented as proof of some sort. I think that is more of a problem than the hoaxes which will eventually be found out. Its like people disengage their brains to allow them to post these things with a straight face.

This trend of people immediately believing every airplane landing light, helicopter or blurred image of bird they did not notice as being evidence or proof is maddening. Where we should be seeing an occasional image to be vetted, we are flooded with childish nonsense.

Even so I think we need to bite our lips and pass them by because tolerating them is far preferable to the alternative of censoring to aggressively and missing the one in a million that may be the real thing.

Those who say things like this is ruining the board or get way to angry over something rather than just "turn the channel and look at something else" are just as big of a problem.

We also need to not let these threads get under our skin to the point we throw out the proverbial "Baby with the bathwater".

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
I'd hate to see ATS resort to censorship before the fact due to poster like this OP. Granted this was an obvious hoax out of the gate, but much of what I see here is not so cut and dried.

I've been using professional level cameras and image manipulation software for over 10 years now I think. I even do some professional work now to help pay for that equipment and software. Even so, I often don't post an opinion because it is just NOT that easy to spot hoaxes when the hoaxer is even remotely familiar with their camera or software like Photoshop.

We can't say in many cases that photo evidence is either real or a hoax with any certainty. Sometimes, like this time it is obvious but not always.

Photography has truly changed recently. When I first started with film it was in the realm of those who could actually afford the equipment. Now we suddenly have point and shoot digital cameras that take all the need for knowledge out of the equation. The equipment has gotten so good that even though I have professional gear, I generally rely on the camera to make my decisions for me.

Another oddity is that suddenly people are buying Photoshop for play even though it is very expensive. Between Photoshop and the available plug-ins, with a little study people could easily make images that would make it impossible to detect the manipulation. I see more problems with this on the horizon, not less.

Every time I open one of these threads, I truly hope to see something genuine that I can not explain; I honestly do. Lately I've been frustrated to the point I end up not even bothering to look at many of them. Not because of hoaxers, but more due to the constant flood of pictures of tiny lights in a nighttime sky or blurred objects that could be anything being presented as proof of some sort. I think that is more of a problem than the hoaxes which will eventually be found out. Its like people disengage their brains to allow them to post these things with a straight face.

This trend of people immediately believing every airplane landing light, helicopter or blurred image of bird they did not notice as being evidence or proof is maddening. Where we should be seeing an occasional image to be vetted, we are flooded with childish nonsense.

Even so I think we need to bite our lips and pass them by because tolerating them is far preferable to the alternative of censoring to aggressively and missing the one in a million that may be the real thing.

Those who say things like this is ruining the board or get way to angry over something rather than just "turn the channel and look at something else" are just as big of a problem.

We also need to not let these threads get under our skin to the point we throw out the proverbial "Baby with the bathwater".

You should read this thread that I started a couple of weeks ago. Goes over alot of things you mentioned about UFO photography & equipment. I'm also a photographer btw.

"Another oddity is that suddenly people are buying Photoshop for play even though it is very expensive"

Not an oddity at all. Software Piracy. It has been one of the most pirated pieces of software for the past decade.
It's sad and unfair for Adobe and all of us who actually pay for Photoshop.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
IF a UFO came out the water, I only assume they must do so at 500+ MPH in order to travel that speed underwater to make it out into the open. And the only way to capture that on a camera is to be filming it, and the camera to be able to pick up around 500 frames per second...... so the likely hood of you getting that in one snap is unreal. Very sorry to burst your bubble but it's just impossible

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
nice work people, 1 less dumbass to worry about, i look forward to the next linchin of a faker lol, im guessing as he hasnt posted again he as realised that we all spend far to much time looking at fakes to know 1 from the start, it would be interesting for some1 one day to post a pic that they admit is fake from the start and then ask us here to tell him how we debunk it, maybe 1 day some1 will come up with a fake we cant prove

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join