It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Metal Gear Solid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
ummmmmmm.....a lot of games are about conspiracies. that's what's cool now a days in the video game world.

I'd like to first state that this coming message is not a flame...

So what are you sayin'? Are you referring to a specific comment, or this entire thread? If you're talking about something specific, then focus on that and deal with that comment. If you're talkin about the entire thread, well then, you're gonna have to do better than that, friend...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cappa
Alert!

Brand New Splinter Cell - Coming Soon!

I'll have to re-buy XBOX, Splinter Cell and the new SC when I get out of basic training...

Basic training? You in the army or something?

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
yes if you play close attention to the storylines of the both metal gears that came out they pretty much predicted alot of things that have taken place in our ''reality.''

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Yessir.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Yessir.

Cool. You like the army? I was planning to enter Army ROTC and become an infantry platoon leader after college, but something happened that changed me. I'm a changed man.

After all happened, I went home, recycled all of my Army stuff and headed towards the Marines.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

After all happened, I went home, recycled all of my Army stuff and headed towards the Marines.

Marines, eh? heh, I thought about the Marines, but I'm more focused on doing Intel-type work so I'm tryin to do Intel Analyst or CI.

Personally, I like my personality, and IMO, the Marines try to break all that down and 'reprogram' you. IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Marines, eh? heh, I thought about the Marines, but I'm more focused on doing Intel-type work so I'm tryin to do Intel Analyst or CI.

Personally, I like my personality, and IMO, the Marines try to break all that down and 'reprogram' you. IMO.

Actually, I find the Marines don't reprogram you. Rather, they show you who you really are. They pretty much turn the whole idea of "self" upside down. For example, they teach that just because you're a good student, doesn't mean that's who you are. Even if you're the best athlete in the world, that's not who you are. Their who concept of self is that you're a human who is then willing to be an athlete, student, whatever. Human first, then job second. They teach you to recognize what you are rather than what you can become. I like that, because it goes against the whole utilitarian philosophy of modern society.

I see the Army's problem as the opposite. Ever wonder why so many are leaving the army but none are leaving the Marines? The army doesn't instill that sort of truth in you. The army is more like a civilian workforce that tries to be a team. It just puts you in the team instead of making the team work. Also, ever wonder why army people say "I'm IN the army," while Marines say, "I AM a Marine?"

Individualism and rhetoric of teamwork doesn't help in the military. Marines are all about teamwork, but the recognize it starts within the person, rather than all the people collectively. Strange, the Marines sound more like a religious cult now.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Alot of what is seen in the way of the military equipment in metal gear solid is real such as the RAH-66 COMANCHE and some of the hand guns used in the video game. The cyphers are real too another name that are callled is " Multipurpose Security and Surveillance Mission Platform" they also have another name called Unmanned Airial Platforms. I have some cypher videos still around here. I am not sure about the big metal gear in the end of the game but you never know. Wetworks is also mentioned in the game which is a division of skunk works and other agencys.

When it comes to the genome soligers that is possible too. The superman program has been talked about here on ats for years. Not to mention most of the human cloning that does take place has for years taken place in no extrodition countrys. Why? Because if you get caught doing somthing that is illegal in that country such as cloning you cannot be extrodited back to your home country to face charges. hint hint austrailia. As well as others. MGS is a good game. The rail gun is even there which has been under development by independent researchers as well as major companys. As far as the big metal gear in the end of the game. Knowing what kind of building material that we can produce there is no reason not to belive that somthing like that cannot be created. Even here a few years ago I remember bring infomation to ats about the gun that fired 1 million rounds per min later renamed metal storm created orgionaly by Mike O Brian I belive but I would have to back and check. The little metal gear at the end of metal gear could be also created. Just this last year there have been massive reports comming out about the succession to the titanic which is called the freedom ship to my knowledge that is almost complete thats just my 2 cents. I dont know if you could in reality actully create a gear but you would have to ask the chinese they are and have been the leader for the last 20 years in robotics. MIT used to put togeather robotics years ago I dont know if they are still working on that I also have video of some of the u.s. robots that have been developed taken as far back as the 1980s the ones made back then you needed to have wire technology linked to the robot to move the arms or legs and what not. But in order to create a gear that would take a tremendous ammout of time and capitol to produce espically if you were going to create on that was capeable of being manned. Thats not to say it couldnt be done. After all we have created steath suits that can make someone look invisible no reason to think that a metal gear couldnt be created espically looking at how much effort is going into ships like the freedom ship.

Falcon

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
MGS and Splinter Cell two great games. I really loved the tech in splinter cell because almost all of it is insipired by real life stuff. The only unrealistic item is the googles Sam Fisher wears there is not any googles right now that can switch between NV and IR vision this was the one thing that Tom Clancy did not like about the game but the game devolpers didnt want to make him put on different googles each time he switched modes of vision.The tech in MGS was great too the stealth suit and the rail launched stealth nuke fired from metalgear are just too cool.I cant wait for MGS3 and splinter cell2 for the ps2 at least

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by falcon
Alot of what is seen in the way of the military equipment in metal gear solid is real such as the RAH-66 COMANCHE and some of the hand guns used in the video game. The cyphers are real too another name that are callled is " Multipurpose Security and Surveillance Mission Platform" they also have another name called Unmanned Airial Platforms. I have some cypher videos still around here. I am not sure about the big metal gear in the end of the game but you never know. Wetworks is also mentioned in the game which is a division of skunk works and other agencys.

When it comes to the genome soligers that is possible too. The superman program has been talked about here on ats for years. Not to mention most of the human cloning that does take place has for years taken place in no extrodition countrys. Why? Because if you get caught doing somthing that is illegal in that country such as cloning you cannot be extrodited back to your home country to face charges. hint hint austrailia. As well as others. MGS is a good game. The rail gun is even there which has been under development by independent researchers as well as major companys. As far as the big metal gear in the end of the game. Knowing what kind of building material that we can produce there is no reason not to belive that somthing like that cannot be created. Even here a few years ago I remember bring infomation to ats about the gun that fired 1 million rounds per min later renamed metal storm created orgionaly by Mike O Brian I belive but I would have to back and check. The little metal gear at the end of metal gear could be also created. Just this last year there have been massive reports comming out about the succession to the titanic which is called the freedom ship to my knowledge that is almost complete thats just my 2 cents. I dont know if you could in reality actully create a gear but you would have to ask the chinese they are and have been the leader for the last 20 years in robotics. MIT used to put togeather robotics years ago I dont know if they are still working on that I also have video of some of the u.s. robots that have been developed taken as far back as the 1980s the ones made back then you needed to have wire technology linked to the robot to move the arms or legs and what not. But in order to create a gear that would take a tremendous ammout of time and capitol to produce espically if you were going to create on that was capeable of being manned. Thats not to say it couldnt be done. After all we have created steath suits that can make someone look invisible no reason to think that a metal gear couldnt be created espically looking at how much effort is going into ships like the freedom ship.

Falcon

Damn, that's wicked. Although a walking battletank like Metal Gear would be highly vulnerable in battle.

I'd love to see all this stuff in action. Against North Korea and China, maybe?

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
MGS and Splinter Cell two great games. I really loved the tech in splinter cell because almost all of it is insipired by real life stuff. The only unrealistic item is the googles Sam Fisher wears there is not any googles right now that can switch between NV and IR vision this was the one thing that Tom Clancy did not like about the game but the game devolpers didnt want to make him put on different googles each time he switched modes of vision.The tech in MGS was great too the stealth suit and the rail launched stealth nuke fired from metalgear are just too cool.I cant wait for MGS3 and splinter cell2 for the ps2 at least

I liked Splinter Cell also. But MGS2 was definitely the superior game. It had a better, involving story, more stuff (maybe not as high-tech gear), and was so awesome to watch and play. Splinter Cell had cool gadgets and it was a true stealth simulation, but it's story was weak and the game wasn't much beyond the simulation. That's why you can't really compare the two, because they are different.

But one thing I liked about Splinter Cell was besides the story and whatnot, the gameplay itself was fairly new, something that wasn't seen before. It took the concept of Thief and gave it a modern-day, high-tech espionage theme. What do you get? A masterpiece.

I nearly puked when PC Gamer thought Splinter Cell's story was far more compelling and interesting and easier to follow than MGS2's. Easy to follow, yes. Compelling and interesting? Just shows how smart the PC Gamer review staff is. I wonder how much they're paid to overrate games.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by sweatmonicaIdo]

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I do agree with you that splinter cells plot was not as good as MGS2 but i found MSG1 plot far better than that of MSG2 it has to be one of the best stealth action game plot ever. I mean vampires in the second one just sucked and there where alittle too many plot twist in the second one for my taste besides Rayden was on of the worst characters ever give me snake any day over that guy. At least in the third one we can all play as bigboss which snake was cloned from so thats just as good

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I do agree with you that splinter cells plot was not as good as MGS2 but i found MSG1 plot far better than that of MSG2 it has to be one of the best stealth action game plot ever. I mean vampires in the second one just sucked and there where alittle too many plot twist in the second one for my taste besides Rayden was on of the worst characters ever give me snake any day over that guy. At least in the third one we can all play as bigboss which snake was cloned from so thats just as good

Remove Vamp (I want to kill whoever decided to use a Vamp), and Fatman (how do you make a nuke at age 12??) and you've got a great story.

Personally, I've never really thought of MGS as a pure stealth game. I mean, it's all about stealth, but it's not like Thief or Splinter Cell where EVERYTHING has to be done in stealth.

But story-wise, MGS is the best. What I like is that it uses the most basic concept of the conspiracy, rather than factual real-life ones like Deus Ex did. But Deus Ex was the best game ever, in my book.

posted on Apr, 8 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
A side note, regarding Splinter Cell and the NSA. In "Behold a Pale Horse" (the William Cooper book), he claims that a Presidential Executive Order (I forget which president ordered it) was written and made law that removed the NSA from all liability, as far as Law goes, from all laws that do not specifically name the NSA as being subject to that law.

That would enable them to create and take advantage of a thing such as a 'Fifth Freedom'.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

A side note, regarding Splinter Cell and the NSA. In "Behold a Pale Horse" (the William Cooper book), he claims that a Presidential Executive Order (I forget which president ordered it) was written and made law that removed the NSA from all liability, as far as Law goes, from all laws that do not specifically name the NSA as being subject to that law.

That would enable them to create and take advantage of a thing such as a 'Fifth Freedom'.

Interesting. There is a lot of that going on. In fact, I think the entire Intelligence community is given immunity from laws. A lot of what the C.I.A. does in terms of covert operations is actually illegal and much of it is actually hidden from Congress. At least from what I heard.

Which is funny, because if Delta Force does something illegal, the unit would be disbanded like Red Cell was.

[Edited on 10-4-2004 by DJDOHBOY]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join