It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama took a billion dollars from our economy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
So, I guess it is time to say this since I have bought it up to some friends. Here we are, in a time where we all need money, and the man who wishes to stimulate the economy has taken a billion dollars.

He took the money that people donated, for his campaign, and has decided that his people on his campaign should have an extra months pay and laptops and blackberries. Is this correct? Why did he not take the money that was set aside by the government and not put a BILLION dollar burden on America. How about you send back a 1000 dollars to everyone who made a donation???

Am I the only one that sees this? Am i wrong to think that he should not have taken America for a BILLION dollars? Please let me know.....

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I don't see it that way. If anything, he invested a billion dollar into the economy. The people he pays have to pay taxes. Just about everybody who sold a service to his campaign made money and had to pay some form of tax.

Where did you get the billion dollar figure from?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by esdad71
So, I guess it is time to say this since I have bought it up to some friends. Here we are, in a time where we all need money, and the man who wishes to stimulate the economy has taken a billion dollars.

He took the money that people donated, for his campaign, and has decided that his people on his campaign should have an extra months pay and laptops and blackberries. Is this correct? Why did he not take the money that was set aside by the government and not put a BILLION dollar burden on America. How about you send back a 1000 dollars to everyone who made a donation???

Am I the only one that sees this? Am i wrong to think that he should not have taken America for a BILLION dollars? Please let me know.....

Well if taxes were already filed on this as donation money then he can't give it back or it would be considered tax fraud and everyone would do it to get money back from the government in the name of donations while keeping the original money. Every 4 months larger if not all businesses file tax returns and if this was listed on the last quarters tax return that would cause a problem for people who donated and got money back. (tax fraud)

That's about the only legal reason I'm aware of personally might be someone with more info out there.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
It was announced that he raised a billion dollars in his campaign.

billions dollars

How did he INVEST in our economy. HE accepted a billion dollars in contributions. Why did he not accept what was available instead of buying his election from the American people who donated their hard earned money to the tune of a billion dollars?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   

How did he INVEST in our economy.

The same way you invest in the economy. By buying thins and paying taxes on it. In return, you get roads, police officers, and many other government services. That money was used to buy goods and services to maintain his campaign. Goods and services that are taxed by local, state, and federal government.

As far as donations, I think any individual is allowed to donate to any person or organization they desire to. Furthermore, I believe Obama had every right to decide to opt out of public financing. However, I do think it was wrong of him to have broken a promise that he would take public financing if McCain did.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
When is this going to end?... Don't you guys get tired of nit picking everything this man does and he's not even in office yet. If and when he does something news worthy that warrants a public outcry or outrage then I'll listen. Until then leave it alone already , you guys seriously just seem pathetic at this point. NO ONE CARES!!! We need to create a new area on ATS titled "I'm upset and I can't get over the fact that McCain lost so I am going to find every piece of dirt and brodcast it to everyone anonymously on here so that you all see that you made a mistake and I am right and you are wrong" so all of you Obama Haters can get together and complain to people who give a D@mn.

OK.... WHEW!!!... now that I got that off of my chest. No op , Obama did not take a billion dollars from our economy #1 and #2 Even if he did none of it was yours obviously so why do you care?

[edit on 2-12-2008 by EyesWideShut]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
You do know what donating means, don't you?

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Ah yes, staying true to the "America Religion", being a consumer.

That's not change, that's more of the same.

-Lahara

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

IMO, a billion dollars equal a lot of change.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

IMO, a billion dollars equal a lot of change.

Well, in my opinion, a billion dollars can feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, but then agian, that's just my opinion, not anything that would ever happen, especial if a politician has his or her grubby little hands on that money, where does that money go? BUY, BUY, BUY!!! Buy more useless junk that nobody needs, oh and buy the way (snicker, snicker), that money is'nt really "stimulating the economy"
it's going into the pockets of other countries that make the money off of our debt.

Honestly though, even though I have really disliked every president that has ever been in charge in my 24 years of life, there's nothing I can do about it, no protesting or even violence will make my voice heard and my concerns met, all I can really do is try my best to tell people the Truth, even though I get hated for it, all I can do is Sacrifice, even though it costs me my life, but that's ok, Yeshua did a lot more for me, I'm just returning the favor.

I don't hate Obama, I just don't like his policies or what he represents.

Oh, btw, I'm glad you appreciated my sense of humor.

So I gave you a star for your appreciation.

-Lahara

[edit on 2-12-2008 by TheRandom1]

[edit on 2-12-2008 by TheRandom1]

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   

all I can really do is try my best to tell people the Truth, even though I get hated for it,

All I can say is that if you honestly feel it is the truth, then don't give up. Keep defending what you believe. Your words have passion behind them.

BTW, I am not an Obama supporter and I also don't agree with his policies. However, I found this thread a little too harsh on Obama. He merely did what our system allows him to do.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I am in no way stating that he should not have done it, but he did in a time where gas was 4 bucks a gallon, people were laid off left and right and the banks are in free fall.

So, if he was such a great candidate, he should have kept his word and used federal funding. Since he did not, a billion dollars came out of our economy that could have been used for mortgages, car payments or even health care. I was simply trying to make a point that with all of the promises there are alot of people who gave money that could have pumped the economy.

This was not a personal attack and this has nothing to do with politics honestly but the mindset.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Since he did not, a billion dollars came out of our economy that could have been used for mortgages, car payments or even health care.

Where did you get the billion dollar figure from? I heard it was $745 million. A lot of money, but certainly not a billion. I am looking for a link...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
You Yanks voted him in, so I quess you get what you paid for.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
This shouldnt suprise anyone. When it comes right down to it people, they are all of the same catagory...Poli-Sh**-ans and will take a dump on anyone when given the opportunity.

Not exactly what people were expecting...is it.

Remember those smiles, the waves, the words "Yes, we can!" during the campaigns?

All from the same song book. Just wait and see whats on the horizon after the swearing in.

Woopiee!!!!

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest
You Yanks voted him in, so I quess you get what you paid for.

Excellent contribution to the thread, thanks for your imput [/sarcasm]

Here is the article:

blogs.abcnews.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I am in no way stating that he should not have done it, but he did in a time where gas was 4 bucks a gallon, people were laid off left and right and the banks are in free fall.

So, if he was such a great candidate, he should have kept his word and used federal funding. Since he did not, a billion dollars came out of our economy that could have been used for mortgages, car payments or even health care. I was simply trying to make a point that with all of the promises there are alot of people who gave money that could have pumped the economy.

This was not a personal attack and this has nothing to do with politics honestly but the mindset.

Where do you think the federal funding comes from?

Tax!

So what you're saying is it's ok to draw from tax revenue to pay for the campaign but not to draw from donations from supporters?
No one held a gun to their heads did they, that is why it is called a donation

Oh and I guess his plan to create 2.5 million jobs is wasting thw economy as well

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

The big question on those 2.5 million jobs that he plans to create is this - how many of those jobs can he keep here at home, and how many is the government going to offshore?

Consider it seriously, because Business Week dedicated that topic as their cover story for their latest issue:

www.businessweek.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Senate seat anyone?????

new topics

top topics

join