It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Victim of matriarch rule

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   

This is an iron. I have no idea how it works. As a man, I have no desire too either but, alas, the labour camp of matriarch rule requires me to learn the art.

The arcane art of ironing is a difficult skill to master - it is a negative stimulus, mostly on my hands. Why? That is the question I keep asking myself.

I feel myself indulging in empathy towards the protagonist Winston Smith.

As the perfect persona of an European gentlemen, one has no issues assisting the feminist agenda. However, I revolt against tortuous and sadistic technology that has no purpose but to inflict pain upon man.

Mother dearest, I resign from my position

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
So you don't like to do the ironing, what other tasks are you capable of doing around the house then?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Wash the clothes then hang them up on a coat hanger then hang them on a door frame or something such like, the creases magically fall out. Its not as good as a proper iron but its not a bad second place.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Iron? What's an iron?

Shake before the dryer!!!

(psst) hang up right after the dryer.

Then mostly, just left with collars.

Oh, and when ironing, here is how it works. Operate on HIGH. Spray area to be touched with heat liberally with water. It presses out jussssst fine...

lift and look lift and look--steamy and neat.

Unless you wear silks. Scratches head. Shrug. Um....dry clean?

[edit on 29-11-2008 by HugmyRek]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by HugmyRek
Iron? What's an iron?

(psst) hang up right after the dryer.

Then mostly, just left with collars.

Oh, and when ironing, here is how it works. Operate on HIGH. Spray area to be touched with heat liberally with water. It presses out jussssst fine...

lift and look lift and look--steamy and neat.

Unless you wear silks. Scratches head. Shrug. Um....dry clean?

Yeah dry clean your clothes with loads of chemicals and slowly poison you and you family. Yippee!!

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Mission accomplished.

I, in fact, mastered the art of ironing the other day and made an exceptional effort of the task. One feels highly pleased

Even better though, I managed to complete the task without burning myself in the process.

[edit on 2-12-2008 by infinite]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My question is who uses irons anymore? Use freakin Febreeze or some other wrinkle remover. Works like a charm.

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I use an iron.. own two of them. My parents taught me to iron when I was young. I dont need a woman to do this for me though it is appreciated when they do. I can even iron on an olde blanket without an ironing board.

Wash clothes...dishes etc etc. Will be washing clothes.

It is good for young people to learn these basic skills.

Orangetom

posted on Dec, 26 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I don't iron.
I have one because you are supposed to I guess, and it makes people happy when they ask if you have one and you reply, why yes!
but I am like the rest of the good fellow ATSers. gravity and a little moisture together make a great smoother....

no burns... no electricity...
no matriarchal rule....

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
I don't iron.
I have one because you are supposed to I guess, and it makes people happy when they ask if you have one and you reply, why yes!
but I am like the rest of the good fellow ATSers. gravity and a little moisture together make a great smoother....

no burns... no electricity...
no matriarchal rule....

seagrass,

I have an iron because I want one and know how to use it. I don't worry or even care if it makes others happy.

I put up with certain things from women if they happen to be right/correct.
Otherwise one is just urinating into the wind and that would not make good nonsense.
I am just not interested in a lot of their insecurities. In such cases they can make up the difference themselves.
If one cannot deal with ironing ..don't. If you want to deal with it do.
But to worry about whatever others want or think about having or not having an iron is insecurity.

There are many worse and more difficult things to be encountered in this world ..than ironing.

I will be wearing a suit and tie this evening. Will be ironing my shirt before shoving off..and a matriarchal woman will not be doing it. I will.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
I dont think owning an iron because someone might need one is insecurity, I think of it as practical. The person who needs the shirt or blanket ironed to me is insecure.
To need something to be perfectly flat without creases seems a little stiff and crusty.
I like wrinkles... I don't mind them. It gives character.. I like distressed clothing too, and soft matters to me more than a crisp look. I like holey jeans and frayed edges.
I suppose a suit and tie should be crisp... but then I am so far from a suit and tie person that it isn't important to me. But if it were important to someone else who was in my home, I would like to be able to meet their needs. That makes me happy more than a flat shirt.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Oh...ok...that is not quite how I read your previous post.

I don't iron.

I do agree with you..soft is nice. That is what I love about most women. Soft!! I too am not really into starch and stiff...but I do know how to stand inspection order, so to speak, when necessary. This is what I will be doing this evening at the wedding.

Most of the time I am a jeans and T- shirt type guy. About as formal as I get most of the time is a Corduroy Jacket to go with my jeans and boots.

However ..tonight is a formal affair and I must be prepared. Hence I am off to iron my shirt which I also washed this morning.

I'd rather be wearing my jeans, cotton t-shirts, and boots.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 27-12-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
well, yes if it's for tradition and respect to the marriage, I suppose it says something..
and well, that is a whole 'nother thread on why that is...
I like to dress up on occasion.. but even then the choices I make in clothing would not require an iron.

now comfortable shoes, that is important.. and I hate high heels so that's out.
I wore cowboy boots all through High School. I will never wear them again.
now it's flip flops and sandals, or seagrass is not happy.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Throw off the shackles of your feminist oppressors gentlemen! For far too long us men have been enslaved by the female reproductive organ! I say no more! Feminist Nazis have ruined what is decent and right in society further pushing forth their own sick and twisted agenda.

What is that agenda you say? They would like to tell you it's equality, but no it is simply the mass enslavement of males to feminine rule! Gender rolls have been lopsidedly reversed. Now men are expected to both bring home the bacon AND do all of the housework along with the gender expected tasks.

Feminist oppressors want in men the obedience of a dog along with the benefit of a set of opposable thumbs.

I say cast them off, cast off the yoke of oppression by our feminist dictators!

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Wuk... being able to clean up after yourself shows maturity not oppression. It takes a strong man to wear an apron...nurture the home and family..and I suppose iron something...
and an equally strong woman to leave the comforts of home, and go out in the world and get respect for her good work in a man's world.

society oppresses us and we let it... it's all a choice I think.

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
My mother made me learn as a child. And believe me, it is an art, especially when taught by a Swiss mother that learned the skill in Catholic school. She also insisted on ironing linen and cotton dish towels, and sometimes sheets (saying the heat sterlized, which I suppose is true but so does bleach). Then there are linen tablecloths and napkins...a whole other issue.

Cotton and linen and silk are very wrinkly things, but if you really hate ironing them there are always other fabrics or the cleaners. The cleaners do wash and press shirts fairly cheap.

It is a good thing you learned how, even if you decide to avoid it for the rest of your life.

[edit on 27-12-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

Wuk,

I have to go along with seagrass...being able to look after/clean up after ones self shows maturity. I mean this male and female both.

I hate having to breast feed people who dont know how to take care of themselves/pick up after themselves but know how to work a telephone keypad, remote controller, and keyboard. I dont as a rule have much use for people male or female who are high speed low drag. Many of them expect others to do the daily work for them while they head for the fast food lane. This once again .male and female both.

I can clean...wash dishes, cook, sew, fix my car and truck etc etc etc.
Dont think much of a man who must depend on a woman for these skills. I do like and appreciate when a woman takes care of this for me..but I also know how to do it myself.
Spent part of today washing sheets...in addition to my shirt for the wedding this evening. Everything went off as planned. I am happy for the newlyweds.

I know to many men who spend to much time living behind Sports Illustrated and the swimsuit edition. Not for me thanks. No worshiping the gods of sports here.

Had male roomates..years ago. Used to irritate the heck out of me the number of guys who cannot hit a target..and leave messes for others to clean up. But they can figure out a point spread in nothing flat. Alot of women are no neater in thier habits and leave messes for others to clean up as well. Both high maintenance as far as I am concerned.

Wearing an apron is no big deal to me. I've been doing it for years now. Happy that both my mother and father taught me to be self sufficient in this arena.
However ...I do cede to most women in one area. Most of them are better at decorating skills than will I ever be. I dont mind asking or leaning on them for this knowledge and advice. It is like radar...they are as a whole much finer tuned than I can ever hope to match.

I do disagree with seagrass on one thing...it is not a man's world. Most men I know are some kind of dumb about this. Most women as well.

Thanks,
Orangetom

[edit on 27-12-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Dec, 27 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Thank you for disagreeing with me OrangeTom.
I respect that. A term I have never liked, but like others I let and choose to be oppressed by the idea.
For me the working world is scary as hell. But I know it isn't men that make it so.
so kudos to you for setting me straight. Now when I get that job.. perhaps I will think of you.

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 05:04 AM
link   
seagrass,

For me the working world is scary as hell. But I know it isn't men that make it so.
so kudos to you for setting me straight. Now when I get that job.. perhaps I will think of you.

You are certainly welcome seagrass.

The working world can indeed be scary as hell.

Dont let life frighten you but so far...then learn from it and rebound...come right back at it.

Also good that you know it is not men who make it that way. You know more here than most women and even men. Good to see it in you.

I dont have much use for the "victim dictum" in males or females. I see alot more men using it now days. It won't wash with me.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 28 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
victim dictum...

why yes... taking responsibility is hard for people some times. And being able to see how each adds to the problem is key.

My problem with the working world has mostly been about how it becomes competitive verses a team effort, and that has usually come from women. Men have been working in teams longer than women. Women usually have a pecking order in the home and family. Men try to succeed through competition as well, but it seems more valued or understood when they do it. A man with a pressed shirt will most likely get the job over one with a wrinkly one.
But a woman will try to backstab to be the top dog in her office. catty drama meant for their own entertainment. They will put down how a woman is dressed not because of professional standards but because they want to feel better about themselves. And it doesn't work.

I like peace and comfort enough to not want to put myself through that.
But when your family needs things, I suppose you may have to go out and try again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join