It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mob Mentality in Fallujah: Does it Happen Here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:44 PM
link   
With the recent massacre of four Americans in Fallujah, I think it is important to look at different examples of mob mentality in our own culture. By doing such we may get a better understanding of the situation and not so easily dismiss others as 'savages'. Or we may recognize the savage nature that is inherent in humanity, across the board. Yes, even in America.

We begin in sunny Florida. Home of Disney, beaches, and golden DVD players.

ORANGE CITY, Florida (AP) -- A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.
Wal Mart

Now what could entice some ordinary folk into trampling a woman over a 29$ DVD player? Was it the sale itself or did it so happen that the group of people who gathered that day were all of an insidious nature? Savages? Perhaps, but that might be oversimplifying things...

Our next example takes us to Seattle. Home of the Space Needle, Starbucks, and a bunch of drivers encouraging a sucidial woman to 'jump':

Aug. 30 � When a 26-year-old woman stood at the edge of a Seattle bridge on Tuesday, contemplating the decision to end her life with a jump, she didn't do so in peace. Motorists encouraged her to jump and cursed her.
Seattle

Were all of the taunters 'bad apples', or was it the inconvience to their commute that led them to such behavior? Savages?

Our last example takes us to the deep south. The land of sweet tea, green pastures, and lynchings:

In the last decades of the nineteenth century, the lynching of Black people in the Southern and border states became an institutionalized method used by whites to terrorize Blacks and maintain white supremacy. In the South, during the period 1880 to 1940, there was deep-seated and all-pervading hatred and fear of the Negro which led white mobs to turn to �lynch law� as a means of social control.
Lynching

Now if your not aware of this piece of American history you've probably been living in a cave. Nevertheless, the hanging, torturing, and desecration of the African American people was propogated by large groups of people from all walks of life. What was their common thread? Were all of the people living in the deep south 'Savages'?

It is shown in these three examples that people in the United States, at any given moment or period of time, can act in a way that is despicable or savage in nature. Some over a DVD player, others over their commute, and still others over a belief that the color of a person's skin can be correlated to their worth.

To dismiss everyone involved in an incident as 'savages' is somewhat limited in scope. There are many factors that come together to create such atrocities. Think about it.

Back to Fallujah...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Joseph Knecht
Our next example takes us to Seattle. Home of the Space Needle, Starbucks, and a bunch of drivers encouraging a sucidial woman to 'jump':

Aug. 30 � When a 26-year-old woman stood at the edge of a Seattle bridge on Tuesday, contemplating the decision to end her life with a jump, she didn't do so in peace. Motorists encouraged her to jump and cursed her.
Seattle

Were all of the taunters 'bad apples', or was it the inconvience to their commute that led them to such behavior? Savages?

People were pissed of because the woman left her car in the middle of the street causing a huge traffic Jam. Hell I would be pissed too. If the woman wanted to kill hersefl why not do it in the privacy of her own home where she wouldnt bother anyone? Unless she really didnt want to kill herself and was just looking to get some attention. A "cry for help" so to speak.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   

We begin in sunny Florida. Home of Disney, beaches, and golden DVD players.

ORANGE CITY, Florida (AP) -- A mob of shoppers rushing for a sale on DVD players trampled the first woman in line and knocked her unconscious as they scrambled for the shelves at a Wal-Mart Supercenter.
Wal Mart

Now what could entice some ordinary folk into trampling a woman over a 29$ DVD player? Was it the sale itself or did it so happen that the group of people who gathered that day were all of an insidious nature? Savages? Perhaps, but that might be oversimplifying things...

Ive seen stampedes like this first hand. People go crazy for specials and saving a few bucks. I dont get it. Thats why I do all my shopping online.

Oh and BTW the woman "trampled" in the WalMart incident was later proven to be a fraud. She had a history of making false complaints of injuries in stores and later suing them for money.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Our last example takes us to the deep south. The land of sweet tea, green pastures, and lynchings:

In the last decades of the nineteenth century, the lynching of Black people in the Southern and border states became an institutionalized method used by whites to terrorize Blacks and maintain white supremacy. In the South, during the period 1880 to 1940, there was deep-seated and all-pervading hatred and fear of the Negro which led white mobs to turn to �lynch law� as a means of social control.
Lynching

Now if your not aware of this piece of American history you've probably been living in a cave. Nevertheless, the hanging, torturing, and desecration of the African American people was propogated by large groups of people from all walks of life. What was their common thread? Were all of the people living in the deep south 'Savages'?

It is shown in these three examples that people in the United States, at any given moment or period of time, can act in a way that is despicable or savage in nature. Some over a DVD player, others over their commute, and still others over a belief that the color of a person's skin can be correlated to their worth.

To dismiss everyone involved in an incident as 'savages' is somewhat limited in scope. There are many factors that come together to create such atrocities. Think about it.

Back to Fallujah...

As for this last example... what can I say.. It's f***ed up. A terrible chapter in american history. Those here calling Iraquis Savages should really take a look at their own contries history before judging.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   
This is no comparison to what happened in Fallujah.

A better example would be attacks on local 7-11's and other various conveniance stores where Middle Easterners are usually associated. Its happened where I live quite a few times.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetsuo-51

A better example would be attacks on local 7-11's and other various conveniance stores where Middle Easterners are usually associated. Its happened where I live quite a few times.

I do think there is a valid comparison since its the same type of behavior.

And the 7-11 attacks are a shame. I remember hearing stories in the news about Arab people in the US being discriminated against after the 9/11 attacks. Its sad but it happens.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
If the woman wanted to kill hersefl why not do it in the privacy of her own home where she wouldnt bother anyone?

Your right. How dare her interupt people with her 'cries' for help.

In regards to the first two stories, things like this happen all the time. Provide links which disprove them and I'll find you other examples.

Regarding the third, I apreciate your reply.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Unless any of you guys forgot. Humans are animals. And violence and destruction is contagious. Especially when emotions are running high, all it takes it a tiny spark to light the fire and you have an angry mob ready to kill...

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 01:59 PM
link   

That man in your avatar might not agree.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

I do think there is a valid comparison since its the same type of behavior.

Ill have to disagree with your disagreement, Ocelot. The only example I can almost accept is the slaves example (lynchings, etc...).

But anyway, with the lady, its not like people hopped out of their cars and tore her limb from limb while setting her on fire. Sorry, cant relate that example to the topic.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Anybody here remember Reginald Denny?

For those who do not he was the guy that was hauled from his truck and beaten by an angry mob of black people who were upset at the (first) Rodney King verdict. Are you going to tell me that they weren't savages? Can you defend their actions?

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   

That man in your avatar might not agree.

Don Magic Juan says: "I agree with Tetsuo, and you should too, brotha."

Anyway, as I said, I agree with the point about blacks in the south, but the other examples just didnt seem to fit, IMO.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

If the woman wanted to kill hersefl why not do it in the privacy of her own home where she wouldnt bother anyone?

Umm isnt this what I said:

"Unless she really didnt want to kill herself and was just looking to get some attention. A "cry for help" so to speak. "

If the woman really wanted to kill herself she would have dont it by other means. All she wanted was some attention.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Good example. Anger is a very powerful thing.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Good example. Anger is a very powerful thing.

So is acting like a savage.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I agree... if you want to see people acting like savages -not jsut blacks or just whites- watch video from the Rodney King riots. Terrible shame. Terrible, terrible shame.

DE

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by COOL HAND

For those who do not he was the guy that was hauled from his truck and beaten by an angry mob of black people who were upset at the (first) Rodney King verdict. Are you going to tell me that they weren't savages? Can you defend their actions?

No you cant defend that behavior. But I wouldnt call them savages. People do some f***ed up stuff when they're in a rage. And white people in the south used to hang black people from trees just for being black. EVERY race of people has been guilty of this type of behavior at one time or another.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Umm isnt this what I said:

"Unless she really didnt want to kill herself and was just looking to get some attention. A "cry for help" so to speak. "

If the woman really wanted to kill herself she would have dont it by other means. All she wanted was some attention.

Yeah, I hate people who *need* attention so badly that they go to such extremes. Couldnt she just cut her wrists and sleep in a bathtub full of bleach? Or even easier, fall asleep with the AC/heat on in her car.

[Edited on 2-4-2004 by Tetsuo-51]

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Yeah, I hate people who *need* attention so badly that they go to such extremes. Couldnt she just cut her wrists and sleep in a bathtub full of bleach? Or even easier, fall asleep with the AC/heat on in your car.

LMAO!! That is so so wrong.

posted on Apr, 2 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
There are too many high buildings to have so many 'true' failed suicide attempts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join