It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The catalyst to end prohibition?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Anyone got a feeling that our current economy being in the slumps is going to trigger the U.S government to stop enforcing drug prohibition, and rather regulate and tax. I do, I think marijuana will be legal with in the next decade, or at least in my lifetime (the next 70+ years). Perhaps other substances, but who knows?

This isn't a pro-drug rant. I don't do any drugs, been clean since college. I would never risk my job to get high. My personal view is that adults should be able to put anything they want in their own body. I believe in un-biased drug education & help for those who are in trouble. It really doesn't matter what I think though, because my own personal views aren't going to really influence those making decisions. So let me just make a list of why I see marijuana being regulated and taxed (heavily, heavily taxed):

-We are facing very high unemployment rate, nearing double digits. Any new industries would help pave the way for new employment.

-TAXES, TAXES, TAXES!!!!!!!! The governments loose approximately 30 billion on tax revenue from the sale of street drugs. Perhaps regulating MJ would not make up for all 30 billion, but I'm sure it would take a majority of that.

-Barack Obama. He has spoken publicly about medical marijuana. He thinks it is okay as long as it is prescribed by a doctor for a valid medical reason. This is closer to legalize, then I've seen any other president speak of.

-The war on drugs. Despite the loss of tax revenue listed about the government spends absolutely silly amounts of money on drug enforcement, prosecution, and jail. Over 30 years of a war that isn't being won should be enough. Crime rates would go down across the board saving money for all of us.

-Massachucettes, they just decriminalized up to 1oz of MJ. This is only one SMALL state, but it is a big step. This is obviously aimed at the casual user of MJ and keeping them with out a criminal record, while still letting the cops go all out on the dealers.

-Michigan, voted for an okay on medical MJ. Another small step, just like CA before them.

So I think we are taking baby steps towards legalization. I also think they current economic factors will help push the government to deal with unemployment, and like I said new industries creates tons of jobs.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
they won't do it because they would have to admit they were wrong and drugs aren't actually the font of all evil.

hopefully this thread will stay on topic and open.

[edit on 24/11/08 by pieman]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Out here in California you can go into shops and buy weed, hash, food and everything else pot related under the sun! I've heard of Amsterdam, but now I don't even have to go. California is already taxing the cannabis sold at stores, state tax yes.

I mean what happens when more than 65% of the states have individual state laws on cannabis? At some point the federal government has to start listening.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The history of the the whole Jazz era reasons why they criminalized it is a rather racist one that also deserves to be heard. But I can see the laws going the way of Prohibition in my life as you can only look like a fool for so long...Case in point, George W. Bush.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Considering the stunning amount of revenue the CIA generates from 'participating' in the drug trade I would find it unlikely they would be willing to entertain the notion.

The authorities literally would face unemployment if they couldn't justify their budgets by saying they are fighting the 'war on drugs.'

It is about time the government got out of the business.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
This is not a bad idea at all. 100 million Americans are casual users of certain drugs, that's 100 million Americans that would rather pay a tax for their stuff than go to jail.

I say we use the drug money to pay to Obama's education and health care initiatives. It would also put people to work making good money clipping plants.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
In 2001, The Conservatives tried to win the general election on a 'Common Sense Revolution.' They lost.

Moral: Common Sense and Politics do not mix.

Very very good idea though, I would keep Heroin and Crack illegal, but the non instant addictives, I would monitor and tax.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I thought by the time I reached middle age MJ would be legal. I for one

would gladly pay a tax for the right to posses , grow , smoke or whatever

else I wanted to do with weed. I dont like drinking anymore and dont know

why as a responsible productive tax paying member of this country I am

not allowed to have the right to sit back and enjoy some weed in the

privacy of my own home. It has to be the money , no other explanation.

For alcohol to be legal and weed not there is something bad wrong. More

more people petitioning their rep;s in gov. and joining org. like NORML is

the only thing I know to try. I have contacted my reps. many times and

will keep trying.

new topics

top topics

join