It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are Evil

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Seeing as how 'evil' is a subjective term in the first place your 'hypothesis' is incorrect.

Secondly, it lies with THE PARENTS to monitor what their young and impressionable offspring are doing. It is not up to video game companies or movie producers to make games only for children, when certain ratings are placed on these to begin with. It's the parents' fault for letting thier 8 yr old play games with a mature rating or watch movies rated R.

Video games and/or movies are NOT evil. Evil is nonexsistant and only subjective as I have claimed before. If anything would be negative, it wouldbe the parents who are allowing their children to watch/play these things.

]¥[

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Funny you should mention this .. we just had an interesting debate on this exact subject!! ...

It is just a Game; Right?

Yes, this was a shameless plug for the debate forum.

Please check it out anyway! We (the Fighters) would love to have your interest and support.

And, if you're a parent with concerns about your kids playing violent games, there are some very interesting links there...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xilvius
Seeing as how 'evil' is a subjective term in the first place your 'hypothesis' is incorrect.

]¥[

I would read the post completely and the responces first then post a reply IMHO

Lots of good stuff there.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I guess I agree with the OP...

After a couple of hours of playing Tiger Woods 09 online last night, I woke up this morning with the urge to go on a horrible rage of destruction and terror!!!

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
follow up on the use of Gaming Technology in the military

Not exactly the link I was looking for but still good none the less.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I work in the industry, too; it's so disheartening to see the media jump on video games every time they can be even vaguely attached to some idiots rampages.

As far as I'm concerned, this should not be an issue at all, as the ratings system should take care of it. To parents: Quite simply, if you don't want your kids to be subjected to violent material, don't buy them 18 rates bloody games!

The last time I saw video games causing people to think violence was cool was in 'Americas Army', which, for a time, was used as a recruitment tool for the army! I think I remember those guys getting in a lot of trouble for that a while ago. They're still linking to the US army recruitment page, though.

On that note, this popped up today:
www.stripes.com...

[edit on 24-11-2008 by obscureuser]

[edit on 24-11-2008 by obscureuser]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ou_sooners_19
I guess I agree with the OP...

After a couple of hours of playing Tiger Woods 09 online last night, I woke up this morning with the urge to go on a horrible rage of destruction and terror!!!

*ROFL*
Hey! Don't forget about the lemming's game. An old game, years ago.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
For every jerk off they blame Doom and Marilyn Manson for things like Columbine. There is a millionlike me that played games like Heretic, Doom and Wolfenstein since I was about 10 years old. I've been playing the Grand Theft Auto series since I was 13, parents didn't eve know I had it =p. I could go on and on and on.

Parents invovlement is very important, imho. I remember before I got the game San Fransisco Rush, 13, my parents sat me down and talked to me about the importance of driving safely. Just because, locally, the game had been demonized because some stupid 16 year olds decided to go race there cars and wrap themselves around a tree.

If parents arn't invovled enough to care that there elementary school age children are playing games like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto or Left 4 Dead(tons of blood gore violence and cursing, but what can you expect in a zombie apocalypse). It's more indicative of the parents than anything else. Columbine is a good example, not only did those kids acquire a small arsenal, but they made pipe bombs and wrote down there intentions. And there parents didn't notice.

Wouldn't you notice if your kids had this many bombs built?

48 -- Carbon Dioxide bombs 27 -- Pipe bombs 11 -- 1.5 gallon propane bombs 7 -- gas or napalm bombs 2 -- 20 pound propane bombs

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bandaidctrl
I don't think video games are evil, I believe that without proper restrictions that they can become a big problem.

For example, I started playing World of Warcraft back when it was first released in 2004, soon after my little brother wanted to play, so I got him started on my account, he picked his character etc etc.

Soon after that he would be IN TEARS because I wouldn't let him play, I was on the computer doing my own thing and next thing I know I'm handing my computer to him so he can sign on, go figure he ran to my mother and told her that "Tata won't let me play!"

It came to a point where that is all he was doing, not going out to play with his friends, not doing his homework, he was becoming increasingly reclusive and no one was doing anything to stop it.

By this time, the expansion had come out in 2007, my little brother had turned 9, he had been playing for a year already and he wasn't slowing down, my parents got him the expansion.

Long story short I instilled the time restrictions myself, and once again he flipped a s***. It's only now that my parents and I have pretty much forced him to go play outside that he's starting to leave that phase. Either way it was pretty scary, having a 9 year old look up to you and scream I HATE YOU I HOPE YOU DIE with tears streaming, face red and scrunched up.

I don't think it's the video games, I think it's the people, and those who choose whether or not to keep an eye on what happens.

yay.

and it's also basic addiction.
all those hormones that co up and down during specific interactions online.. and in "battle" etc..

especially for the young ones.. the "reward" of a "kill" etc... jsut like the rat wanting the coke when he hits the button.
Pavlovian responses..
best just to not get too attached.
there are more important things in the world to think about.

i think video games are for the most part structured because o fhow we are structured... for the time we exist in.
and when... in the future.. we have reconstructed ourselves.. and have become different creatures...
our "entertainment" will be less about killing.. and more about creating.

but for now....
we're animals.

and our video games mimic those instincts and methods...

let it be what it be.

-

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by gordonwest

*ROFL*
Hey! Don't forget about the lemming's game. An old game, years ago.

On a lighter note I almost had a nervous breakdown over Elf Bowling.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

i think video games are for the most part structured because o fhow we are structured... for the time we exist in. and when... in the future.. we have reconstructed ourselves.. and have become different creatures... our "entertainment" will be less about killing.. and more about creating.

One could argue that this is already happening. The Sims is one of the best selling games of all time, among all demographics. The Wii, with very few 'killing' games(that suck anyway), is the best selling console even though it's a year behind the 360. Comparing the two libraries you'd be hard pressed to find a mature game on the Wii, while mature games on the 360 are probably at a 10:1.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

Yes! Ever since that game, for some reason, I have been doing everything that people tell me to do. I seem to follow them off bridges and cliffs...

But I still can't figure out why I need to carry this pick axe everywhere I go, just because the guy in front of me has one!

Guess if I ever need to break a wall down I'll be prepared...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
YES!!! Willie kicks!!!!!! But I like the one better with the cannon and the.... Um.... Wait..... What were we talking about?

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by gordonwest

I lOVED lemmings. Sometimes would watch them fall and squash on purpose, I will admit.

the latest lemmings was fun. I wish they would come out with a new one.

I love Sims too.
I think people who are control freaks likes Sims. LOL

And I admit, again. That I would put them in the pool and take the ladder out.

Yet, I know it is a game. And in rl I can't even squash a bug.

Maybe kids play them so much they don't know video from reality anymore?

[edit on 25-11-2008 by nixie_nox]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
So now it's video games that are causing the younger generation to go postal! Ten years ago it was video nasties, especially, if I remember rightly, Childs Play. . . Before that it was rock and roll and before that it was probably put down to children losing their fathers in the WW2!

All Utter Rubbish.

To some extent a section of societies kids have always gone off the deep end and acted in dangerous or inappropriate ways. If we all look back into our younger years I would bet that we could all remember times when we did something that we now look back on as being reckless or downright dangerous and anti-social. All this nonsense about video games corrupting the dainty little minds of our kids is rubbish created to give sociology students something to write and talk about.

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Video games aren't evil, IBM is evil. Have you noticed that Nintendo uses IBM processors and is the only console that comes with a warning label on all games and hardware that says it might cause seizures. Talk about behavioral programming. I still play my GameCube (who's logo is unmistakingly similar to the metadons cube) becuase my XBOX went kapoot. Microsoft is evil too, just not as evil as IBM IMO.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by 12.21.12]

posted on Nov, 25 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The only thing evil about video games are the high prices they charge for crappy lack luster games out there that have absolutely NO replay ability to them.

[edit on 25-11-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
thanks for everybody's responce I thought this was a good topic to bring up considering tthe Holiday gift giving season is apon us and soon millions of children will be throwing hissy fits when heir parents wont by them Evil games but will purchase tons of R rated movies to have in their DVD/Blu-Ray collections

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I can see how somobody might say these are Evil.
The plot and the story in the first may seem to be demonic. I say just good old sci-fi fun

Ahh Good old Gordon

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Parents blame video games because they don't want to take a long hard look in the mirror of their own non-involvement with their kids. I've always played video games with my kids.... and they turned out as well behaved as I could hope.
When I was a kid, it was music that was blamed for bad behavior. Now I wasn't the best kid in the world, but none of my transgressions were due to the music I listened to.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join