It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shots Near Presidents Convoy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Shots Near Presidents Convoy

news.sky.com

Russian forces have fired shots near a convoy of vehicles carrying the Georgian and Polish presidents.

South Ossetian security forces fired shots into the air as the presidents approached the breakaway territory, forcing them to turn back, a witness said.

The spectator, who was travelling with Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili, said uniformed South Ossetians fired the warning shots after the convoy came within 30 metres of the de facto border.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23/11/08 by freemindmine]

[edit: fixed long link skewing the page]

[edit on 23-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
This is just breaking on sky news,
It 's says Russian forces fired the shots,
but then say's it was South Ossetian security forces. I know some of the security forces are Russian, But are all of them?
I would like to know what the two presidents were doing down that neck of the woods?
This could be nothing, Just thought I'd let you all know.

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: Can't get the link working, SORRY! Can Mods fix link, pls

[edit: fixed long link skewing the page]

[edit on 23-11-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
edit: ack total misread, please ignore/delete post at your leisure.

[edit on 23-11-2008 by unnamedninja]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Wow, imagine if they would have fired directly at the Polish president. WWIII anyone? If the killing of Franz Ferdinand could start a world war, an attack on the Polish president by Russian military most definitely could as well.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by InterestedObserver

I think they just shot up in the air and not at anyone, Why the two presidents were there in the first place, is whats make me think this is strange.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
It's on the BBC News site now.

Georgian officials said the shots came from inside South Ossetia. But Russia and South Ossetia denied the claim.

More info on the BBC site but still no word why they were there.

BBC

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
They were within 30 meters of the border, warning shots were fired into the air...

I don't see how this is a big deal. They were warned not to come closer, they acknowledged the warning, and turned back. Nobody harmed.

Is there something I'm missing here?

sty

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

well, the problem is that the new "countries" are only recognised by Russia. It would be like US creating a fake republic inside Iraq , then recognise the new "country" even if noone else does. Would you find this normal? would then be legal to fire at foreign leaders aproacing the new "borders" ?

[edit on 23-11-2008 by sty]

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

You are could be right ,
But I wonder why President Mikheil Saakashvili thought he would take the Poland President to a trip to South Ossetia and why the Poland President would want to go?
Sky News was quick to break this,Sky must have though is was worth reporting on, So it makes me think something funny is going on.
Maybe President Mikheil Saakashvili was hoping for something to happen to get it back on the MSM.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Yea right, he was hoping the Russians would shoot him in the head and start WW3. OK please stop being so pathetically paranoid now. Oooooh maybe he's a robot so he has no life to lose, get real!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Honestly, when I read this. I thought they were talking about President's Bush convoy and not Georgias'. But, this makes you wonder what is the ulterior motive for this?

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
Honestly, when I read this. I thought they were talking about President's Bush convoy and not Georgias'. But, this makes you wonder what is the ulterior motive for this?

I thought they were being generous with Obama's position, and an attack on him.

posted on Nov, 23 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

But I wonder why President Mikheil Saakashvili thought he would take the Poland President to a trip to South Ossetia and why the Poland President would want to go?

Because the European Union, especially the United Kingdom and France, were unwilling to express sympathy and solidarity regarding the South Ossetia War. In fact, the United Kingdom has told Eastern Europe to stop using European and NATO membership as a means to provoke Russia.

The British were pretty candid with their remarks towards President Saakashvili, the Foreign Office made it evidently clear it would not provide military assistance for "kamikaze wars" - effectively threatened to block Georgian NATO membership (which Britain did before.)

France objects to the missile defence shield on European soil too.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
This was likely a deliberate provocation by Georgia and their hothead idiot-in-charge Saakashvili. What the hell was the convoy doing so close to the border with a breakaway region which is still in a state of war. Reckless would be a sever understatement. Saakashvili probably took the Polish President of a ride, without the Polish President actual knowing where the hell they are.

And the shots were likely warning shots from the border patrol - either Ossetian or Russian. If these weren't warning shots, then I am sure they wouldn't have missed. Likely the shooters didn't even know who was in the convoy. Why the surprise about warning shots? WTF do you expect driving near a recently active conflict zone?

If anything, I think Saakashvili has some explaining to do for this reckless trip. How can that idiot be trusted with anything?

new topics

top topics

join