It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Argentine man kills himself on TV

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Argentine man kills himself on TV

news.bbc.co.uk

A former police chief in Argentina, wanted for alleged crimes against human rights, has shot himself dead in front of television cameras.

Mario Ferreyra was giving an interview on top of a water tank at his home in the northern province of Tucuman.

Police were coming to arrest him when he killed himself.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well, this is a bit of shock, guilty or not, this was shown live on TV and the cameras kept rolling....

this comes not so many hours after the shocking story of the teen suicide that was shown live online. For that news see this link;
www.abovetopsecret.com...

According to a report on the BBC news homepage;

his father is now calling for more regulation of chatrooms.

news.bbc.co.uk...

So what are we going to do now..?

People are complaining about chat rooms with video links that have allowed this unfortunate act to be shown online for hours, yet here in this latest suicide, it seemed it was lapped up by the TV camera crew and was show on live TV.

I guess they'll have to moderate live broadcasts if they also want online video links moderated as well.

even then, once this is done, you'll still have the chance t maybe see something like this happen right in front of your eyes. So what will we do then...moderate our daily walk abouts by wearing blinkers???

As much as these acts are unfortunate, there is always going to be someone who wants something done to restrict what others are allowed to see.

when will we draw the line and say enough moderation is enough...

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I know radio shows have have a slight delay so they can cut out the feed if something happens. I don't get why TV stations don't do the same. If I had kids I would sure be mad if they saw some guy blow his brains out while watching the news.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This happened in the 80's with some guy from PA that called a news conference and blew his brains out.

You know that song from Filter 'Hey man Nice Shot'. Its based off that incident.

en.wikipedia.org...
Robert "Budd" Dwyer (November 21, 1939 – January 22, 1987) was an American politician who, on the morning of January 22, 1987, committed suicide by shooting himself in the mouth with a revolver during a televised press conference.

I think this was on Faces of Death also, but some of us seen it live when it happened.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Raustin

That's a good point.

but then it wouldn't be 'live' tv...

it would be moderated, which is now what has been requested by an individual for online video forums and the like.

yes, it's all very well, seeing as we have censorship for movies etc already.

But, these things are mostly down to viewer discretion. Unfortunately, in this case, it is the media vultures who much prefer live breaking news and will do anything to get a major scoop. for them, this was a lucky break...the live televised arrest of a suggested major criminal, but it went wrong and this event unfolded, live...

So what do you do? you could see this sort of thing 'live' absolutely anywhere and at any point of your life... You can't be 'protected' from everything all the time. Even then, who is to determine what you or I can or cannot see?

we have computer games with extreme graphic violence and gore, we have movies of the same quality, if not worse (opening images of man walking around trying to find his arm which had just been blown off in the film "Saving Private Ryan' spring to mind).

these things are actual events and awareness can only be a good thing in the long run. We might actually learn something. Hiding or controlling what we see and learn leave the curious mind open and free to search out for such things, purely out of curiosity as we do tend to have a morbid sense of discovery at times.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
And where would the video be then?
If the cameras were rolling why is there no video of it?

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Where's footage of this? Surely somebody's got it...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I suppose (more with the kids) this is an offsoot of Western culture, wanting to get attention even through one's death?

I know it sounds callous, but at least they did it on the internet/tv, instead of shooting a school or something.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainCaveMan
And where would the video be then?
If the cameras were rolling why is there no video of it?

It was live TV.. it was being broadcast, maybe someone made a video, but that does not mean that the TV company will want to release it... Maybe someone will onto the net at some point, but that would most likely be a home video off the TV broadcast.

Either that or some person at the TV company just 'happens' to get a copy of the vid and sticks online...

Then maybe you'll get to see the entire thing in every head splitting moment.
Maybe, some video editor will even slow it down, frame by frame for your viewing pleasure ...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Two words: Bud Dwyer. Anybody remember him?

video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6686827830708949101

It's gruesome, for sure.

Listen, I don't mean to sound shallow, but people are going to act out regardless. Just because there's an audience, that doesn't mean that this boy could be saved. Hundreds of people kill themselves every day, and if you ask me, this kid's among the worst of them, because he allowed all these people to see his big moment of weakness and indignity.

This is an example of Darwinism at its finest. Some people make it, some don't. I really don't think the fact that people were watching him made any difference to him, other than he was obviously desperate for attention. Sure, we're desensitized, but that's just a matter of fact in today's world.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ThichHeaded

I didn't notice this until after I posted, but this is what I was talking about, too. I saw it on television when it happened. They interrupted the regular programming for a special news report. Then he blew his head off.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Technology is allowing us to witness good or bad. These flames will engulf those who think of themselves to be powerful and can play any game they want to. Not any more. They will be exposed. They will be tried for their crimes. It is just that the technology is new and we are not used to it yet.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by charlie0

The technology is not really that new considering the pace at which we all learn to use and/or abuse that which we are allowed access to.

speaking of which, reminds me of a thread by AccessDenied
well worth the read IMO.
The Grand Illusion

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I really wish I wouldn't have watched the Budd Dwyer video. I think I've been very overwhelmed with death in the past three days. I need a mental health day

I've been reading about the most messed up stuff happening, and our human bodies are so fragile. I've been having nightmares about people who have died in my family during my childhood and more relatives dying. I think I need a break.

but still, I'm very happy that I expose myself to the inevitable.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
why diid this man kill himself?wat did he did?

top topics

join