It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear war and environmental disaster looming as American influence wanes, warns terrifying new U.S

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Nuclear war and environmental disaster looming as American influence wanes, warns terrifying new U.S report

www.dailymail.co.uk

A global pandemic, it warns, could begin in China and South-East Asia, spreading rapidly so that approximately a third of the world's population would become ill and hundreds of millions die.

The report entitled Global Trends 2025 is compiled by a body of analysts from all sections of the U.S. intelligence community and was prepared to be in time for Mr Obama's arrival at the White House on January 20.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
So,truth or US propaganda?

Considering the title even mentions Americas waning power never mind the rest of the article,i think its fare to say that the paranoia of the US government could make all the terrors mentioned come true.No one likes to lose power,and all the wealth that comes with it.

Would America ever concede defeat and become just a power,or would they lead the world into potential disaster so they can fight to keep their super power status.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Losing "Super" power status, while retaining "power" status, would probably be the best thing that could ever happen to us.

If we took all our abilities, power, and economic strength and focused it on ourselves instead of the entire world, then we could build a country that would be stronger, happier, and more secure than any land predating it.

Instead of focusing our efforts, we blanket the world with our influence. And of course, in addition to sapping domestic resources, we earn ourselves a whole slew of enemies who never wanted to be influenced by us.

Of course, isolationism is never the answer either. If our fellow human beings truly need our help, we should always be there to assist them. If not, we should butt out already. For example, we should always be willing to help battle disease, poverty, and famine.

If we no longer had the power to manipulate foreign governments, take their resources by force of arms, and generally be the schoolyard bully... well... maybe we wouldn't do that.

What a horrible thing it would be for the world, and America, if America spent its resources making itself better instead of trying to control everyone else.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
I have to agree. The U.S. would not allow their power to wane.

This is meant as a warning.

In other words. "If you the rest of the world allow U.S. power to wane, and begin to think to much of your own power, these things could happen....Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge. Catch my drift"

If it was anything else this would never have been published in MSM.

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
It is nothing but more of the same old fear campaigning that this current administration has been doing for the last 8 years. It is getting near the Holidays and they know that retail is going to take a huge hit this season with no credit out there. It is common knowledge that when people are fearful and concerned that they will tend to spend more money on things such as entertainment and items to relieve the stress and fear.They know this and are doing anything including this latest jolt of fear to save what is left of a collapsing economy from almost certain looming Depression. The only problem I see with their plan is that it is too late as people are starting to see them for what they are. Their BS is not working anymore.

[edit on 11/21/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 02:42 AM
link   
I don't think the US would fight for its status anymore than the British did during the wane of their empire.

What people should worry about is that when the Pax Brittanica came to an end and the British empire weakened, the world destabilized.

This period of destabilization brought about some real fun times:

World War I (1914-1918)

The Influenza Pandemic (1918-1919) that killed more people than the war

The fall of the Chinese (1912) Russian (1917), Ottoman (1923), German (1918), the Austro-Hungarian (1918) empires.

The rise of Communism and Fascism

The Great Depression (1929-1939)

World War 2 (1939-1945)

and that left us with a standoff between the two New superpowers the US and the USSR.

The US is in a comparable if not greater position as the British Empire was during the Pax Brittanica. The era between 1945 and the present is considered the Pax Americana. If and when the Pax Americana ends, I fear that the era succeeding it will far overshadow the horrors of the two world wars, the great depression, and rise of totalitarianism that dominated the first half of the 20th century. I personally fear that it may bring about a new Dark Age, like the age that followed the fall of Rome.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
The obvious difference here is world population.

.5 billion - 1600
1-billion - 1804
2-billion - 1927
6-billion - 1999
7-billion - 2011 (or sooner)

We stand at almost 4 times the population that existed in the early 20th century which seems to me that any war that could arise that is to come "has to be" nuclear in order to facilitate historical change on the order that the 20th century milestones did. Of course, there's the "illuminati number" of 500 Million as a desired population.

Population must grow to grow economies. If economies are shrinking - it would stand to reason that the stronger "emerging" economies and populations of Asia will want to spread westward to some degree to take-claim of world resources that their populations will demand.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by bonaire]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Huh? None of those events had anything to do with waning British power and in fact, many of them occured during the height of the Empire.

The British Empire emerged larger and stronger after WW1 than it was before, which was pretty strong anyway.

In fact, you could argue WW1 came about precisely because the UK (and France) had the power to oppose the Central Powers ambitions and they grew jealous.

The same was the case for WW2 as Germany sought to re-assert what it viewed as it's rightful place in European heirachy, ahead of the UK and France.

The Flu pandemic had nothing to do with any waning power and more to do with the vast amounts of people moving around the world as a result of the War, combined with crappy medical care.

The Great Depression had little to do with the BE itself and more to do with the changing face of global economics, especially in the USA. It was compounded by poor decisions made by many nations.

The rise of Communism and Facism had nothing to do with the BE. Facism arose as a result of poor economic conditions coupled with the aftermath of WW1, mainly in Germany. Japanese facism arose from it saw as deliberate Western restrictions placed upon thei nation. Communism arose during WW1 due to the very poor way the Russian Monarchy treated the people and the awful handling of the War.

Seems like you try to pin an awful lot on the UK there, none of which was even close to the mark.

The only reason the BE ended after WW2 was due to US pressure to release the colonies as a condition for the creation of the UN and support in the War. Had it not been for the USA, the UK would have tried to keep many of it's colonies, although India would probably have still gained independance, but through a bloody rebellion.

As for the topic, it couldn't come soon enough. A multi-polar world is needed in order to maintain a balance. If one power is so far above the other's, it will dominate and cause resentment, leading to conflict.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

A star for you.

The only reason the BE ended after WW2 was due to US pressure to release the colonies as a condition for the creation of the UN and support in the War. Had it not been for the USA, the UK would have tried to keep many of it's colonies, although India would probably have still gained independance, but through a bloody rebellion.

I would say that the British Empire morphed into something else,the Commonwealth.Its a state thats has the appearance of being ineffective and thats just how they want it to be seen.Instead of keeping/having an empire by overt means,its now done in the background and more freedom is given to the countries in the Commonwealth.

To me,this is a desperate attempt by the US government to keep power,its an expected tactic,demonizing those powers that are on the rise.Fear,as we know,is a powerful tool.Create a common enemy and the people will let you do what they want.The last 8 years is clear proof of that.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
FEAR ME

BE SCARED

now seriously.... stuff that. Be aware, don't fear. They feed on your fear.

That fear can be used to control you. Do you want to be controlled?

Hug a tree instead. much more benificial to the planet and everyone.

wZn

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

According to history the Pax Brittanica lasted from the end of the Napoleonic Wars to the start of World War I.

The British controlled the trade routes and had unchallenged sea power. That all changed with WW1. Not long after the war Japan and the US both had navies as large as Britain's.

The British were during the Pax Brittanica the greatest industrial power on earth. This of course changed with the industrialization of the US, Japan, and Germany.

The Empire lost much of its wealth during WW1, sure the empire grew larger and less wealthier. The massive debt built up during the war was one of many factors that lead to the Great Depression.

World War 2 left Britain bankrupt, with the US loaning Britain $3.5 billion. A loan that was finally paid off just Two Years ago in 2006.

The Supremacy was gone, Uncertainty was the order of the day.

I think you misunderstood my point as if I was blaming the UK for those problems. I was not blaming the British for WW1 or the Bird Flu pandemic. I was blaming uncertainty and a multi polar world. The Supremacy of the Pax Brittanica was gone, people had doubt. Britain's hegemony and influence over the globe was immensely weakened. Power vacuums appeared and the US, Germany, and Japan filled them.

So again I was not blaming Britain, I am blaming multi polar instability.

After reading my post multiple times I can't even fathom how you deduced that I was blaming the UK. I simply mentioned the end of the Pax Brittanica.

BTW, can you show me anywhere in human history that a multi polar world brought balance, peace or stability? I can't think of a single one, even the Greek city states fought each other when they weren't fighting Persians.

[edit on 22/11/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I don't mean to be a jackass, well, yeah, I do. Forecasting natural and man made events this far in advance is just nonsense.

Weren't we suppose to have jet packs and hover cars by now? Weren't we going to all fry because the ozone layer was going to be gone?

Yeah, trust these reports and you'll live your life in a shell.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It more than likely that a nuclear war or nuclear attack will be deployed by countries other than russian and the united states.Pakistan,india ,north korea or iran would be more likely to start some nuclear inncodent.Even if the nuclear war only last days it still could kill hundreads of millions of people.If for example pakistan is turned into a nuclear wasteland the bordering countries could be affected too from radiation drift.Again it proberly be even more likely that a nuclear attack could be deployed by terrorists using a low yeild nuclear device or some form of dirty bomb.There could be another problem here too.Where do teorrists deploy a nuclear weaopn from.If teorrists fired a nuclear weapon from inside india towards pakistan, it would proberly look like the indian goverment fired the nuclear weapon and this could start a nuclear war.If the teorrists fired the missle from india when relashionship between india and paskistan was very low and at a critical time between theses two countries, this too would give the impression that india fired the missle not the teorrists.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

Pretty old news, the article is nearly 2 years old...... much of the same doom and gloom we here every day of the week. Nothing new here....

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I have to admit I agree with you on the end of Pax Britannica bringing around a whole series of change.. one apsect you forgot to mention which i really think is still valid today (for power project purposes) is the Two Power rule.. and I think it is key in understanding where we are today.

The Two Power Rule was where the Royal Navy maintained itself to be atleast the same size as the combined force of the next 2 largest navies (poss off the back of the Roman Naval model) although most may feel the navy is outdated, yet it is still the only way to have real power projection without posing the same threat as an Airforce/boots on the ground.

As George Orwell rightly mentions, you never here of Naval Dictatorships.. Navies are a threat but not the same menace as the military, or airforce can be.

Navies do not generate the same fear levels as boots on the ground or planes in the air.. therefore creating Pax Romana, Pax Britannica, or Pax Americanna. Control by threat but without meanaces..

But today, with the combined force the EU could present, the US has lost the "Two Power" edge the British lost in the prelude to WW1 and Rome lost before it's fall.

What with the naval build up in India, China, Russia and even Brazil, we have a considerable number of similarities from the 1914-1945 era, yet compressed into a smaller time frame.. I fear a next comflict would also fit into a smaller timeframe..

But the bottom line is the US can not keep up the "two power" rule any longer.. and we are deeper into the 1914-1945 era that transitioned power to the next Super power than most assume..

But keeping those thoughts in mind, I feel the British equally chose to partner with the US as a way of ensuring the baton passed to the US rather than the Reich of Japan.. In the same way I feel the US will partner with the nation it feels will be in it's interests to partner with.. Could be the EU or China.. except economic warfare already exists to curtail the EU growth.. If that is from the US I fear the curent US admin is siding with China.

that's just my opinion, Interesting times indeed.

[edit on 8/5/10 by thoughtsfull]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I don't think the US will have to fight for it's status.. before it loses it's supremecy it will instigate the NWO..

top topics

join