It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Don't We Laugh As Much as We Used to?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I just wondering about the physical affects laughing has on the body. I came across the website linked and found some very interesting information.

"Laughter is Aerobic – meaning it increases the oxygen intake in your body and also gives your diaphragm a good workout, which in turn is excellent for asthmatics or anyone with a lung disorder.

Stress Hormones are lowered by laughing. Stress hormones can constrict blood vessels and suppress immune activity.

The chemical dopamine, which is released during the “fight or flight” response that Dr. Hans Selye discovered in the 1960’s, decreases with laughter.

In a study published in the Journal of Holistic Nursing, patients were told one-liners after surgery and before painful medication was administered. Those exposed to humor perceived less pain when compared to patients who didn't get a dose of humor as part of their therapy.

Muscles relax during and after a good laughing session.

Laughter positive effects all body systems, respiratory, circulatory, blood, cardiac etc.

Laughter can actually help to lower blood pressure and is also very good for people with diabetes.

We used to laugh 20 minutes out of every day in the 1950’s. Now we laugh for 6 minutes out of every day. Something has changed between then and now. How do you measure up with laughter?"
link

[edit on 17-11-2008 by governmentsecrets]

[edit on 17-11-2008 by governmentsecrets]

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Communications got better, back in the day, you only used to get bad news with the morning, afternoon and late editions of the local paper.

Now its non stop, it gets to the point where its subliminal.

At least thats what I see.

Fox

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   
My web name is LAUGHING-CAT, I laugh at everything and nothing, it is all funny and none of this is funny.
Cats got it right.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I don't laugh more than I did in the 50's. Then again, I wasn't alive in the 50's so that could be why.

I started laughing a lot more when my children were born. When you have 4 children in 3 1/2 years the stress either makes you pull your hair out, cry or makes you silly. I chose the silly route and generally perform random acts of silliness at least every other hour.

My daughters and I laugh at least an hour a day, probably double that on weekends but my husband probably only laughs about 3 minutes a day. I suppose that's what happens when you are the only male in a house surrounded by 5 females.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
haha that might be why so many husband die before their wives.
I try to laugh at everything, no matter how inappropriate haha.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by governmentsecrets

It has been proven scientifically that husbands die before their wives because, drumroll please, they want to.

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
In the 1650's in England, laughter was banned and all the statues in the churches were chopped off for idolatory. I know it goes in cycles, but there should be a joke in there....... beware.......

We are showing each other less humour nowadays and that destroys liberty...... really....

posted on Nov, 17 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by redled

We are showing each other less humour nowadays and that destroys liberty...... really....

Yes ... people told a lot more jokes before everyone had to be politically correct. I miss those days. Now you have to be careful not only what jokes you might be telling but what jokes you might laugh at!

Jemison

new topics

top topics

join